23 vegan soup recipes (and stews!) to impress at gatherings and enjoy all fall/winter through! They’re cozy, comforting, meal-prep friendly, and nourishing for your body and soul!
The Best Vegan Soup Recipes for Any Occasion
It’s certainly no understatement to say that there is a soup for almost any occasion. Whether you want something light and creamy for the summer months, hearty and protein-dense to get in your daily protein requirements, or -like me- you turn completely soup and stew obsessed as soon as Fall arrives, this list of easy vegan soup recipes (stews included) has something for you and guests to enjoy.
When it comes to vegan and vegetarian soup recipes, there certainly isn’t a struggle to find simple and delicious recipes that will impress vegans and non-vegans alike. Even better, soups are great for meal prep, perfect for whipping up over the weekend and reheating throughout the week or storing it in the freezer to thaw at a later point. Plant-based soups and stews are also packed with nutrients and nourishing plant compounds/ antioxidants to get you through cold and flu season.
The 23 Best Vegan Soups
Below is a list of 23 of my favorite meatless soup recipes that are all 100% vegan. Along with stovetop recipes, several of the below soups also come with Instant Pot and Crockpot methods, so you can make the recipes work for you!
No list of the best vegan soups would be complete without hearty, wholesome lentil and vegetable soup. Made up of several typical soup veggies, lentils, and several carefully selected spices (like cumin, turmeric, paprika, and salt and pepper), I packed this vegan soup with complex flavor, fiber, and a whopping 20 grams of protein per serving! You can also make it in just one pot (stovetop, Instant Pot, or crockpot) with simple, inexpensive ingredients!
This creamy vegan ramen is packed with flavorful vegetables and a spicy Thai twist. It’s super easy to make with a touch of healthy thrown in. It’s the perfect quick vegan weeknight soup and ready in around 30 minutes – you can’t beat that!
If you’re looking for quick and easy, hearty vegan soups that provide heaps of flavor and nutrients, try this vegan tortilla soup. With a combination of black beans, jalapeños, tomatoes, and other Mexican-inspired ingredients, all topped off with crispy homemade tortilla strips, this mouthwatering is the soup for any Mexican and Tex-Mex food lover.
Use canned or homemade pumpkin puree and coconut milk for this creamy, warming, 30-minutes vegan pumpkin soup (or butternut squash soup), packed with fall flavors and perfect for enjoying all season long. This creamy vegan pureed soup can be made using a stovetop, Instant Pot, or slow cooker. It is also gluten-free, nut-free, paleo, and whole30, and the king of vegan fall soups!
You may think you already love cauliflower, but wait until you try this roasted cauliflower soup and get ready to be blown away. Combining caramelized, nutty, delicious roasted cauliflower with white beans, (optional) cashews, and garlic, this vegan winter soup is super rich, creamy, cozy, velvety, and perfectly comforting over the holidays and on chilly fall/winter evenings.
If you’re looking for hearty vegan soup ideas this fall/winter, this German potato soup is a must-try. Not only is this vegan pureed soup one of my favorite winter soup recipes, but it might just be one of my favorite soups, full stop. Combining potatoes, carrots, celery, and onion in a half-blended, half-chunky base, this soup is about as comforting as it gets and perfectly thick and creamy, with absolutely no dairy!
Ditch the layering of ingredients and lengthy prep time in favor of this simple creamy vegan one-pot lasagna soup. It requires one pot and is ready in just 30 minutes, combining a creamy lentil and tomato base with lasagna noodles for a super filling and satisfying vegan winter soup.
Combining umami-rich mushrooms with a rich, creamy, full-bodied broth makes a plant-based soup recipe perfect for satisfying family members and guests all year round. Even better, it’s gluten-free, dairy-free, requires just one pot, and is ready in 30 minutes!
Similar, yet not the same as minestrone, this chickpea pasta soup is a versatile combination of several chunky vegetables and small-shaped pasta in an aromatic broth to provide a hearty filling meal with plenty of flavor depth. Better yet, this veggie soup recipe requires just one pot, is packed with plant-based protein, and is ready in just 30 minutes!
When I’m looking for vegan stew recipes, I have some criteria. They MUST be packed with plant-based protein and goodness. They must be nourishing for the body (and soul). And, of course, they must be delicious. This hearty vegan lentil stew gets the job done every time. It’s made with simple, frugal ingredients in an aromatic pantry-friendly sauce and is perfect for serving over mashed potatoes.
With a combination of classic Thai flavors and hearty noodles, you can get this Thai coconut curry noodle soup on the table in just 25 minutes! With its combination of savory, sweet, salty, spicy, and creamy (thanks to coconut milk) flavors loaded with veggies and noodles, this isn’t a vegetarian soup recipe you’re likely to forget anytime soon.
As a cross between a flavorful curry, soup, and thick stew, this list of plant-based soup recipes wouldn’t be complete without this simple, aromatic red lentil dahl (masoor dal) made with frugal ingredients and packed with flavor and 14g of protein per serving. A perfect vegan, crowd-pleasing, healthy soup recipe for chilly winter evenings and serving alongside rice and naan bread.
This soup is creamy, hearty, and nourishing, with a combination of pinto beans, fire-roasted tomatoes, carefully selected veggies, and Mexican seasonings; this healthy soup recipe is also savory and smoky, and delicious. However, it requires only one pot, is high-fiber, low-fat, and protein rich.
Tomato soup is already a soul-nourishing family favorite. But have you ever tried tomato and pasta soup? It’s hearty and comforting yet light enough to work as a delicious vegan summer soup. Thanks to the pasta, it will also keep you full for much longer. Plus, depending on the season, you can use fresh or canned tomatoes.
This classic soup turned vegan has a well-deserved place on this list of the best vegan soup recipes. Not only is it bursting with flavor, but it’s loaded with nutritious veggies (including hidden carrots and potato in the ‘cheesy’ nutritional yeast base). It’s also super creamy, though, becoming the epitome of comfort food. Need I say more?
If you’re looking for a simple and veggie-loaded meal this fall/winter, check out this hearty vegetable stew. With pantry-friendly and inexpensive ingredients, one pot, and in about 40 minutes, this vegetarian soup idea is perfect as a side dish, appetizer, or main! Thanks to the plentiful veggies, this meal is also loaded with vitamins and nutrients to nourish your body.
If you’re looking for the perfect combination of flavor, light and luscious texture, and a plethora of health benefits, this is the easy vegan soup recipe you’ve been looking for. This bright orange soup not only looks and tastes like sunshine, but the combination of carrot and ginger will infuse your diet with plenty of micronutrients and powerful health benefits. It’s perfect for getting you through cold and flu season.
This hearty vegan soup is perfect for impressing at dinner parties and events with a combination of caramelized onions, red wine, fresh thyme, and a moreish cheesy bread topping. However, this recipe is made healthier and heartier than the original, adding protein-dense red lentils. The result is a vegan soup recipe that wows with flavor, texture, and nutrients!
If you’re looking for meatless soup recipes high in protein, look out for lentils and beans. This creamy white bean soup combines beans and potato blended until smooth with chunks of veggies (like celery, carrot, and kale). The result is a hearty yet light, flavorful, and healthy plant-based soup packing over 17g protein per portion!
This healthy cabbage soup with tomatoes and lentils is not just for weight loss! It’s super simple, low-budget, and loaded with full-bodied flavor and nourishing ingredients, including plenty of plant-based protein, antioxidants, and detoxifying benefits!
When it comes to vegan summer soups, many often stick to thin vegetable broth bases and pureed/ silky-smooth textures. However, when you’re craving something rich, creamy, and comforting, this vegan corn chowder hits the spot. It’s ready in just 30 minutes, requires only one pot, and packs in plenty of healthy produce. Plus, you can enjoy it all year long (on the stovetop or in a crockpot) with frozen corn!
This tantanmen recipe is made up of a healthy, hearty, warm vegan ramen noodles soup packed with aromatic flavors, a balance of spice and creaminess, a hint of peanut butter, and protein-rich vegan mince for a delicious meat-free dinner! This Japanese take on the popular Sichuan Dan Dan Noodles is sure to be a crowd-pleaser for any ramen lover!
In this list of the best vegan soup recipes, I’ve shared a bright and flavorful tomato pasta soup, protein-dense chickpea pasta soup/stew, creamy lasagna soup, and two ramen soups, but now it’s the turn of something truly creamy (and all with zero dairy!). Instead, this creamy pasta soup relies on white cannellini beans and cashews to provide the super creamy, thick, and protein-rich base loaded with extra veggies and noodles. Perfect for all pasta fans!
What To Serve With Vegan Soups?
When it comes to enjoying bowls of plant-based soups and stews, there are a few sides I turn to repeatedly. With one of the below, you can enjoy an even heartier, more satisfying meal.
- Bread: These vegan soups and bread are a match made in heaven (optionally with lashings of butter), like:
- Sandwiches: Or a grilled cheese.
- Flatbread: Like potato flatbread or garlic naan. I also like dipping gluten-free keto crackers.
- Salads: Like a simple leafy green salad, kale salad, etc.
I also like to garnish my vegan soups with fresh herbs like parsley, coriander (cilantro), and green onions/scallions.
More Vegan Recipe Roundups
- 27 vegan pasta recipes you will fall in love with
- 14 vegan dinner recipes using easy pantry ingredients
- 58 vegan Christmas dinner recipes
- 33+ vegan Valentine’s day recipes
- 32+ vegan Super Bowl snacks
- 36 best vegan desserts & healthy ideas
- 7 fruit-infused water recipes
Related Vegan Recipes
- Creamy eggplant and chickpea curry
- Easy potato curry
- Sweet potato curry
- Coconut pineapple vegetable curry
- The best vegan chili
If you try any of these easy vegan soup recipes, I’d love a comment and ★★★★★ recipe rating on their posts. Also, please don’t forget to tag me in re-creations on Instagram or Facebook with @elavegan #elavegan—I love seeing them.
Vegan Soup Recipes: Veggie Stew
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 medium white onion diced
- 3 medium (200 g) carrots diced
- 5 small (500 g) potatoes chopped
- 1 medium (70 g) stalk celery with greens, finely sliced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 to 1 tbsp fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried (see notes)
- 1/2 to 1 tbsp fresh rosemary or 1 tsp dried
- 1/2 to 1 tbsp fresh oregano or 1 tsp dried
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper or to taste
- 1/3 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes or less if sensitive to heat
- 3 cups (720 ml) low-sodium vegetable broth or water
- 2 1/3 cup (350 g) frozen peas (see notes)
- 1/2 cup (120 g) dairy-free heavy cream or canned coconut milk
- 2 tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot flour
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) white wine or more vegetable broth (*see instructions)
- Heat oil over medium heat in a pan and add the onion. Sauté for about 2-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add carrots, potatoes, celery, garlic, and all herbs + spices. Sauté for a further one minute, then add vegetable broth.
- Bring to a boil over high heat. Cook for about 5 minutes over low-medium heat, then add the frozen peas and cook for 15 more minutes, or until the veggies and peas are softened, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch with vegan heavy cream or canned coconut milk with a whisk.
- Pour the milk into the stew, also add white wine (or use more broth/or plant-based milk for a creamier soup) and let simmer for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. Add more salt/pepper/spices to taste. You can blend half of the soup with an immersion blender to make it creamier.
- Garnish with fresh herbs (optional) and enjoy! Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. The stew can be frozen!
Video Of The Recipe
- I used 1 tablespoon each of the fresh herbs (thyme, rosemary, and oregano). Feel free to use less or dried herbs instead.
- The stew/soup will thicken once it cools. Simply reheat with a generous splash of either vegetable broth or plant-based milk.
- If using canned peas, add them at a later stage.
- Recipe serves 4-5. Nutrition facts are for one serving.
Nutrition information is an estimate and has been calculated automatically