This vegan cream of mushroom soup is rich, creamy, warming, and packed with flavor! It’s a delicious gluten-free, dairy-free one-pot meal that is ready in about 30 minutes!
Creamy, Comforting Vegan & Gluten-Free Cream of Mushroom Soup
Meals that embody comfort in a bowl/ plate are my ‘thing.’ There’s nothing better than tucking into a creamy, rich, cozy, and satisfying meal (without it being overly heavy). I’ve already shared a few vegan mushroom recipes like this creamy mushroom sauce, mushroom Stroganoff, and mushroom bourguignon. Now it’s the turn of this easy and super comforting vegan cream of mushroom soup!
With a combination of earthy, umami-rich mushrooms, mixed herbs, and optional white wine, this vegan mushroom soup is packed with tons of depth and full-bodied flavor but with minimal effort and time. In fact, this vegetarian mushroom soup recipe requires just ONE pot, pantry-friendly ingredients, and 30 minutes of your time!
More so, even though this soup is super creamy, this recipe is actually a 100% dairy-free cream of mushroom soup. Plus, with mushrooms helping to pack in antioxidants, fiber, and phytochemicals, this creamy mushroom soup is surprisingly healthy! So serve this crowd-pleaser mid-week or on special occasions like the holidays and wait for it to disappear in moments!
- Mushrooms: Experiment with various varieties or combinations to find your desired flavor. I.e., cremini mushrooms, button, brown, chestnut, portobello, baby bella mushrooms, etc. You could also use more robustly flavored options like shiitake or oyster mushrooms combined with a milder variety.
- Aromatics: This vegan cream of mushroom soup relies on garlic and onion (yellow or sweet onions are best, but white onions will work, too) to pack in body. You could use onion and garlic powder in a pinch.
- Oil: I used vegetable oil, but any neutral-flavored cooking oil will work. You can use vegan butter instead of oil or use both.
- Herbs: fresh thyme and tarragon (or rosemary).
- Vegetable broth: Use regular or low-sodium vegetable broth.
- White wine: Either use a vegan white wine or use more vegetable broth for an alcohol-free version.
- Dairy-free cream: Any will work. I.e., cashew cream, soya cream, canned coconut cream/full fat coconut milk, etc. You could also use dairy-free milk instead of cream, but the mushroom soup won’t be as creamy.
- Thickener: You could use cornstarch or arrowroot flour to prepare this gluten-free cream of mushroom soup.
- Salt & black pepper: Season to taste. If you want more umami depth, use (gluten-free) soy sauce in place of the salt.
- Lemon juice: Serving the vegan mushroom soup with a squeeze of lemon adds a wonderful brightness and depth. Apple cider vinegar or sherry vinegar should work in its place.
- Parsley: Fresh parsley to garnish (optional but highly recommended).
- Nutmeg: Nutmeg is a classic addition to cream of mushroom soup. Just a pinch will add depth.
- Smoked paprika: For a subtle, smoky flavor. Add to taste.
- Spice: A pinch of chili or cayenne pepper will add a subtle layer of heat to this dairy-free cream of mushroom soup. Alternatively, serve the soup with a drizzle of chili oil.
- Other herbs: Mushrooms pair well with several herbs, so there’s plenty of opportunity for experimentation. I.e., sage, oregano, chives, dill, etc.
- Miso paste: Just a small amount of miso will add an umami-rich, salty depth to the vegan cream of mushroom soup.
- Crispy sauteed mushrooms: Cook a couple of handfuls of mushrooms until browned and lightly crisp to serve as a garnish.
- Grains: For a super hearty vegan mushroom soup, add some cooked wild rice, quinoa, or farro to the soup.
For the full ingredients list, measurements, complete recipe method, and nutritional information, read the recipe card below.
How to Make Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup?
- First, prepare the various ingredients; Slice the mushrooms, using paper towels to rub away any dirt (don’t wash them!). Also, finely dice the onion and mince the garlic.
- Then, heat the oil in a large, heavy-based pan/ pot over medium heat. Once hot, add the diced onion and sauté for three minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook until the excess liquid has released, and the mushrooms have browned.
- Stir in the thyme and tarragon (or rosemary), salt and black pepper, white wine, and vegetable broth. Then bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, simmering for 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then pour in the dairy-free cream and stir.
- Prepare the cornstarch slurry by combining the cornstarch with water (amount in the recipe card) and whisking until lump-free. Then pour that into the pot, stir, and allow the gluten-free cream of mushroom soup to simmer until thickened.
If you want a smooth and creamy soup, then either use an immersion blender or transfer it to a blender to process until smooth.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings if preferred, then serve the vegan mushroom soup with some fresh lemon juice and garnish with parsley. Enjoy!
Fridge: Allow the vegan cream of mushroom soup to cool and then store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
Freezer: I like to freeze the dairy-free mushroom soup leftovers in portions. You can do so in Ziplock bags (flattened with air removed), a silicone muffin mold, or individual airtight, freezer-safe containers. Leave some space for expansion (about an inch). Store for up to 2 months.
Allow it to thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating.
Reheat: Reheat the soup either on the stove top or in a microwave until warmed through. Then garnish with parsley and add lemon juice—enjoy!
Enjoy a bowl of this vegan cream of mushroom soup alone or alongside:
- Bread: A gluten-free crusty loaf, french bread, OR flatbread like naan makes for the perfect dipping option for this soup.
- Sandwich: Enjoy a portion of soup with a simple sandwich or vegan grilled cheese as a filling lunch or dinner.
- Salad: Soup and side salad are a classic combination.
This cream of mushroom soup is also perfect for making gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan casseroles (like a vegan green bean casserole).
Recipe Notes, Tips, and FAQs
- Adjust the consistency: If you want a smoother texture, blend a portion of the vegan cream of mushroom soup OR blend it all until your desired level.
- Don’t undercook the mushrooms: They should be browned. You could add them to the pan a couple of handfuls at a time to make this easier, as crowding makes it hard for them to brown.
- Thicker vs. thinner: Cooking it for longer once the thickener has been added or adding even more thickener will adjust it based on if you’re serving it as soup, for a casserole, etc.
- To make this oil-free: Use a splash of vegetable broth instead. However, in that case, I recommend cooking the mushrooms in smaller batches, as the fat would have helped them brown.
More Vegan Soup Recipes
- Vegan pumpkin soup
- Easy vegan tortilla soup
- Vegan corn chowder
- German potato soup
- Mexican pinto bean soup
- Easy tomato pasta soup
- Creamy vegan lasagna soup
- Thai coconut curry soup (with noodles)
If you try this vegan cream of mushroom soup recipe, I’d love a comment and ★★★★★ recipe rating below. Also, please don’t forget to tag me in re-creations on Instagram or Facebook with @elavegan and #elavegan—I love seeing them.
Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe
- 1 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 2 large cloves of garlic finely minced
- 1 lb (450 g) fresh mushrooms sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh tarragon or rosemary, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme chopped
- Salt & black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) white wine (optional) (see notes)
- 2 1/2 cups (600 ml) vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) dairy-free cream (see notes)
- 3-4 tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot flour
- 6 tbsp water
- Fresh lemon juice to serve
- Fresh parsley chopped for garnish
- You can watch the short video for visual instructions.Heat the oil over medium heat in a pot and add the diced onion. Sauté for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Then add the garlic and mushrooms and cook for a couple of more minutes until the mushrooms are browned.
- Stir in the tarragon (or rosemary), thyme, salt, and black pepper. Also, pour in the white wine and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and let it simmer for about 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, then pour in the dairy-free cream.
- Mix the cornstarch and water to make a slurry in a small bowl, then pour it into the pot. Stir to combine and let simmer for a few more minutes to thicken.
- Serve the soup in bowls with a bit of fresh lemon juice and garnish with parsley. Enjoy!
- Wine: You can use more vegetable broth instead.
- Dairy-free cream: You can use cashew cream, soy cream, or canned coconut milk.
Nutrition information is an estimate and has been calculated automatically