These vegan cheese breadsticks from pizza dough are cheesy, garlicky, and super moreish. They’re made with just 7 ingredients, including your choice of pizza crust (e.g. gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, yeast-free, etc.), for a crowd-pleasing appetizer, snack, or side!
Simple Cheesy Garlic Breadsticks (From Pizza Dough)
While the last decade has brought us many new vegan commercial store and restaurant offerings, delicious cheesy garlic breadsticks don’t seem to have made the cut yet in local pizzerias. Luckily, these pizza dough breadsticks (which are the perfect blend of flavorful garlic bread and a simple, cheesy, warm pizza) are surprisingly simple to make at home and even easier to adjust to flavor and dietary requirements!
By using the pizza crust of your choice (in dough form or par-baked for an even quicker treat), you can easily adjust this pizza dough breadsticks recipe to keto, low-carb, gluten-free, etc. Then, combine the pizza crust with a flavorful garlic butter/oil spread and ooey-gooey vegan mozzarella, bake to golden perfection, sprinkle with fresh herbs, and you officially have yourself a crowd-pleasing appetizer or side (perfect for soup and pasta). It will disappear in minutes!
- Pizza dough: Use whatever pizza dough recipe you’d like or store-bought pizza dough/par-baked pizza crust. I used my homemade gluten-free pizza dough for delicious gluten-free garlic bread with cheese.
- Oil: Use any neutral cooking oil (like olive oil or avocado oil) or melted vegan butter.
- Garlic: I used 3 minced garlic cloves but adjust the amount to taste. You could use garlic powder in a pinch.
- Mozzarella: I used homemade vegan mozzarella for this garlic cheese pizza.
- Seasonings: These cheesy garlic breadsticks require a simple seasoning of dried oregano, salt, and black pepper.
- To serve: (Optional) You can garnish the garlic bread pizza with fresh herbs (like parsley) and serve with marinara sauce for dipping.
Optional add-ins & Recipe Variations
- Other herbs: Instead of (or alongside) oregano, you could use thyme, basil, or swap it out for Italian seasoning.
- Parsley: Instead of serving the fresh parsley over the baked garlic pizza bread, you can finely mince it and mix it into the garlic oil mixture.
- Other ‘cheeze’: Use any melty vegan cheese, like cheddar cheese, etc. You could also add extra cheesy, umami flavor with a sprinkling of nutritional yeast or vegan parmesan cheese over the cheesy garlic bread pizza.
- Olives: A few sliced olives will add pockets of salty, tangy flavor to the cheese breadsticks.
- Spice: You can add spice to the breadsticks by adding a pinch of red pepper flakes or finely sliced chili (like jalapeño).
- Pesto: Spread a thin layer of your favorite pesto beneath the mozzarella.
- Marinara/pizza sauce: Turn these into cheesy pizza sticks with a layer of pizza sauce beneath the mozzarella.
- Truffle: Use a small amount of truffle oil instead of some of the oil in the recipe for an umami-packed punch.
- Low-carb: Use a vegetable-based pizza crust like cauliflower crust or this keto zucchini pizza crust.
- Sweet topping: Make dessert breadsticks by swapping out the garlic-cheese topping with melted vegan butter, cinnamon, and sugar (or granulated sweetener) topping. Optionally drizzle with some vegan white chocolate.
Please read the recipe card below for the full ingredients list, measurements, complete recipe method, and nutritional information.
How to Make Cheesy Breadsticks From Pizza Dough?
- First, prepare your favorite pizza dough (I made this homemade gluten-free dough) and roll it out/spread it with your fingers into an oval shape on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. At the same time, preheat the oven to 450F/230C.
You can also use a par-baked pizza crust, top with the toppings, and adjust the baking time according to the package instructions!
- Combine the oil and garlic in a small bowl and mix. Spread over the pizza dough and then sprinkle with dried oregano.
- Then, add the mozzarella cheese (I used my homemade vegan mozzarella, which you can spoon onto the dough in dollops and then spread. Alternatively, use a shredded mozzarella).
- Bake the garlic and cheese breadsticks in the oven for 15 minutes, or until golden brown. For extra boiled, golden goodness, broil the cheesy breadsticks for a few minutes at the end (keeping an eye on it, so nothing burns).
- Then, use a sharp knife or pizza cutter to slice it into breadsticks. To do this, slice it once down the middle (lengthwise) and then every 1-2 inches width-wise. Serve immediately, either plain or with marinara sauce!
How to Serve?
These cheesy pizza dough breadsticks make for a great, simple party appetizer (with marinara sauce or a simple vegan ranch dressing). However, you can also enjoy them in place of garlic bread alongside:
- Soup: Like this creamy roasted cauliflower soup, tomato pasta soup, creamy carrot ginger soup, vegan lasagna soup, etc.
- Pasta: Serve the cheesy garlic bread pizza alongside this easy one-pot pasta, creamy lemon pasta, red pepper pasta, baked gnocchi, and spinach and ‘ricotta’ cannelloni!
- Salad: You could also enjoy a few pieces alongside a simple side salad or even a fully-loaded salad bowl.
How to Store?
Make ahead: There are several ways you can cut down on prep time for these cheesy breadsticks. You can make the pizza dough in advance and store it in the fridge or freezer (Exact storage instructions will differ between crust types).
You can also prepare the vegan mozzarella and herby garlic oil/butter mixture 2 days in advance and store it covered in the fridge. Before using, bring them back to room temperature (or warm in the microwave).
Alternatively, assemble the entire unbaked cheesy garlic breadsticks and store them covered in the refrigerator for a day until ready to bake. You may need to add a minute or two to the time from chilled.
Store: Once baked, I highly recommend enjoying the garlic pizza bread sticks fresh and in one sitting. However, you can store any leftovers in the refrigerator for an extra day or two (either in an airtight box or Ziplock bag).
Reheat: Use either the microwave, oven, or an air fryer to gently reheat the garlic breadsticks until warmed through.
Recipe Notes and FAQs
- Broil to perfection: A final 1-2 minutes of broiling the vegan cheesy garlic bread sticks at the end makes it wonderfully bubbly and golden and delicious.
- ‘Cheat’ method: You can use a crusty bread/ baguette to adapt this recipe to a super simple cheesy garlic bread.
- For more even-sized breadsticks: Feel free to shape the pizza dough into a rectangle instead of an oval.
- Adjust the flavor: It’s easy to adjust any element of these vegan cheesy breadsticks. Increase/decrease the garlic, herbs, cheese, etc., to personal taste.
- Can I use a par-baked pizza crust? Absolutely, just top it with the garlic and cheese toppings and bake according to the package instructions.
- Can I omit the cheese? Yes, if you’d prefer to make simple garlic pizza breadsticks.
More Vegan Pizza Dough Recipes
- Italian Neapolitan Pizza
- Vegan Calzone (Pizza Pockets)
- Mexican Pizza with Refried Beans
- Vegan Deep Dish Pizza
- Pizza Ring with Spinach and Mushrooms
- Avocado Chickpea Pizza
- Sweet Potato Pizza Dough
If you try this recipe for simple cheesy garlic breadsticks (from pizza dough), I’d love a comment and ★★★★★ recipe rating below. Also, please don’t forget to tag me in re-creations on Instagram or Facebook with @elavegan and #elavegan—I love seeing them.
Cheesy Garlic Breadsticks from Pizza Dough
- You can watch the short video for visual instructions.Prepare your favorite pizza dough (I used this homemade gluten-free dough) or use store-bought dough. Roll it out or spread it with your fingers to a circle shape on a lined baking sheet. Then preheat the oven to 450 F (230 C).
- In a small bowl, mix 1 tablespoon of oil or vegan butter with the minced garlic. Spread it over the pizza dough, then sprinkle with dried oregano.
- Add the vegan mozzarella cheese (I used this freshly made vegan mozzarella and added it as dollops, then spread it with a spoon).
- Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Top tip: Spray the top with a little cooking spray and turn the oven to broil for the last few minutes.
- Slice into breadsticks and serve immediately, either plain or with pizza/marinara sauce. Enjoy!
- Adjust the flavor: Increase/decrease the garlic, herbs, cheese, etc., to personal taste.
- Use a par-baked pizza crust: Just top it with the garlic and cheese toppings and bake according to the package instructions.
- Omit the cheese if you’d prefer to make simple garlic pizza breadsticks.
Nutrition information is an estimate and has been calculated automatically