Vegan chickpea curry with eggplant and coconut. This creamy and delicious vegetarian comfort meal is ready in 25 minutes. The recipe is vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, protein-rich, free of chicken, and quick to make.
Vegan Coconut Chickpea Curry With Eggplant
Enjoying this vegan chickpea curry made me realize how awesome comfort food is and also how much I love it. I am a huge fan of Indian food and spices. This recipe contains all my favorite ingredients, which are chickpeas, eggplant, coconut milk, rice and of course curry powder. If you combine all these ingredients you will end up with the most delicious and satisfying vegetarian curry as a result.
Curry is not a spice, it’s a blend of different spices. Most curry blends contain coriander, turmeric, cumin, fenugreek, and also some chili peppers. Curry is not only delicious but it has furthermore some incredible health benefits:
Curry Powder is a popular spice mix that has a number of valuable health benefits, including the prevention of cancer, protection against heart disease, reduce Alzheimer’s disease symptoms, ease pain and inflammation, boost bone health, protect the immune system from bacterial infections, and increase the liver’s ability to remove toxins from the body.
How amazing is that?
Making this dish from start to finish took me less than half an hour! Yes, this recipe is super easy and fast to make in under 30 minutes and you will only need a couple of ingredients to make it. Should you love curry with a sweet & savory flavor then try out my following recipe: Veggie Curry with Pineapple
This Vegetarian Curry Is:
- The best comfort food
- A great weeknight dinner
Tips For This Vegan Chickpea Curry
- You can leave out the eggplant and use a different veggie like cauliflower or for example sweet potatoes, it’s totally up to you. In my opinion, the eggplant adds a nice texture to the dish.
- I used some spinach for decoration but you can also sprinkle some fresh coriander on top which will add even more flavor to this vegan chickpea curry.
- Serve with Basmati rice or Jasmine rice or Naan bread.
If you recreate my recipe, please leave a comment below and/or tag me in your Instagram or Facebook post with @elavegan so that I can see it.
For another warming chickpea dish definitely check out this amazing recipe which is not only easy to make but also delicious: Crockpot Moroccan Chickpea Stew
You can find more of my curry recipes here:
- Coconut Curry With Pineapple
- Sweet Potato Curry
- Vegan Butter Chicken (Tikka Masala)
- 1-Pot Lentil Dal
Vegan Chickpea Curry
- One 15-ounce can (400 g) chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 small eggplants or 1 big one
- 1/2 large onion diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup (240 ml) coconut milk canned (or lite coconut milk)
- 1-2 tbsp curry powder (you can use curry paste instead)
- 1-2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin (or more to taste)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric (optional)
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika (optional)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooked rice of choice (I use Jasmine rice)
- spinach or fresh coriander for serving
- Chop the eggplant and onion into small pieces and heat a little oil (or water) in a pan over medium heat. Add onion and eggplant and cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes. Add the garlic:
- Drain and rinse chickpeas and add them to the pan:
- Add coconut milk, spices + salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for about 5 minutes:
- Serve your curry with cooked rice of choice. My favorite is Jasmine rice. Decorate with either spinach or fresh coriander. Enjoy!
- Recipe serves 4. Nutrition facts are for one serving with full-fat coconut milk.
- If you use light coconut milk the recipe will have less fat and calories (about 191 kcal and 5.5 grams of fat).
If you are using Pinterest, feel free to pin the following photo: