Vegan chili recipe | my favorite comfort food!
How amazing is chili? I love comfort food like chili and curry very much since it’s hearty, healthy and delicious. My vegan chili recipe is easy to make and can be served with rice, potatoes, pasta or flatbread. This chili sin carne (chili without meat) is packed with healthy veggies and is full of flavor. I often prepare a huge pot of chili as my boyfriend can’t get enough of my vegan chili recipe, so we often end up eating chili 2 times a week.
Eating Chili is healthy
Did you know that eating hot red chili peppers may help us live longer? “A study of more than 16,000 people in the United States revealed that individuals who consumed red chili peppers had a lower risk of death from all causes over an average of 18 years than those who did not eat the spicy food.” How amazing is that? My vegan chili recipe contains hot red chili peppers which makes it a healthy and delicious meal.
This vegan chili recipe is:
- Gluten free
- Low in fat
- An amazing comfort food
- Great for meal prep
Best vegan chili recipe with beans
You can make this chili with kidney beans, white beans, pinto beans or black beans. I used two cups of kidney beans and 2 cups of white beans as this is what I had at home. But you can use one cup of each, it’s totally up to you. You can sprinkle some fresh cilantro or parsley on top which will add even more flavor to this vegan chili recipe.
Perfect for meal prep
This vegan chili recipe is also great for meal prep. Here is a meal prep idea which you might like. I bought the glass containers on Amazon.
Easy to make vegan chili recipe
My vegan chili recipe is fairly easy to make and doesn’t require any fancy ingredients. It took me about 40 minutes from start to finish. I would recommend however to let the chili simmer for more than 30 minutes, as is will be even more flavorful the longer it cooks.
If you recreate my recipe, please leave a comment below and/or tag me in your Instagram or Facebook post with @elavegan and #elavegan so that I can see it and leave a comment.
Vegan chili recipe
- 1 medium/big onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 1 small/medium carrot grated
- 5-6 medium diced fresh tomatoes (560 g) or use canned ones (20 oz)
- 6 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 4 cups canned beans e.g. kidney beans, black beans, pinto beans, white beans, or 1 cup of each
- 2 tsp coconut sugar or sub brown sugar or any other sweetener like maple syrup
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp salt or less if you use vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp hot chili powder
- 1-2 hot red chili peppers (I used 1, my boyfriend prefers 2)
- 2 tsp oil of choice for frying
- In a large pan or pot over medium heat, add in the oil. Sauté the onion and pepper for about 5 minutes, add the garlic and sauté for an additional 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Mix in the tomatoes and sauté for another 3 to 5 minutes.
- Now add all remaining ingredients, increase the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes or longer, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with rice, pasta, potatoes or flatbread. Garnish with fresh cilantro or parsley.
If you are using Pinterest, feel free to pin the following photo: