Best Lentil Soup Recipe
So, Christmas is in 5 days and everyone is posting their favorite Christmas cookie recipes. And I am like: “Guys, check out my Best Lentil Soup Recipe” haha. Well, sometimes you have to be a rebel, don’t you?! I mean, it’s not that this soup cannot be eaten on Christmas. In fact, it totally can be part of a delicious Christmas dinner. I really love how this recipe came out and my boyfriend was over the moon when he tried the soup. He said it was the best soup he ever ate.
I love lentils and I have posted a couple of lentil recipes before, like this 1-Pot Lentil Dal or this Lentil Stew With Mashed Potatoes or these Healthy Taco Cups Filled With Lentils or these Vegan Enchiladas with Lentils and this Potato Bake With Lentils. Lentils are simply amazing and so versatile. And I love the fact that you don’t need to soak them overnight like beans. They are quickly prepared and very good for us because they contain lots of healthy plant-based protein.
Quick, easy and inexpensive recipe
For this best lentil soup, I’ve used mainly pantry ingredients which probably everyone has at home. Also, it took me just 45 minutes to cook this delicious dish. This soup is furthermore quite inexpensive. None of the ingredients cost a fortune, so if you are on a budget, this recipe is definitely for you.
One Pot Best Lentil Soup
Talking about easy recipes. This lentil stew is very easy to prepare and you’ll need just one single large pot. How awesome is it to use only 1 pot. Less clean-up is always much appreciated. Be prepared that you’ll need a big pot though. I used the biggest one that we have because this recipe makes a lot of soup. It serves at least 4-6 hungry people. I must admit though that my boyfriend and I ate almost all of it on the first day. But like mentioned in other blog posts before, we eat a lot, haha.
This Lentil Soup is:
- Made in one pot
- Easy to make
- A great comfort meal
- Ready in 45 minutes
So much flavor
I don’t eat soups very often but when I do, I add lots of different spices. Eating a bland soup or stew is no fun, that’s why this lentil soup contains delicious spices which are flavorful and healthy. Bay leaves, cumin, and coriander are just some of them. Also, the fresh veggies like celery, cauliflower, and carrot add a nice flavor.
Freezer friendly recipe
This delicious lentil soup freezes well. And like mentioned before this recipe makes A LOT OF SOUP. You can make it today and enjoy it whenever you want!
If you make this lentil soup and maybe even take a photo of it, then I would love to see it. You can DM it to me on Instagram. Don’t forget to tag me in your Insta caption + photo with @elavegan and use the hashtag #elavegan and I will gladly check out your post.
Best Lentil Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 medium-sized)
- 3 big cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 head of cauliflower, chopped (medium-sized) (500 g)
- 1 cup chopped carrot (about 1/2 of a big one)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3 cups dried lentils, brown or green, rinsed and drained (600 g)
- 14 oz chopped tomatoes (400 g)
- 8 cups vegetable broth (2 liters)
- Spice mix: 1 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, 1/2 tsp ground coriander, 1/2 tsp ground caraway seeds, 1/2 tsp smoked paprika powder, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp minced fresh ginger, 1/2 tsp brown sugar, sea salt, and pepper to taste
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 cup coconut milk or coconut cream (optional)
- Heat oil in a LARGE pot over medium heat and add the chopped onion. Cook for 3 minutes, then add garlic, carrot, and celery, and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Add the spice mix, the lentils, cauliflower, and broth and bring to a boil.
- Now add the bay leaves and cook the soup with a lid on for about 5 minutes.
- Then add the chopped tomatoes and stir. Let the soup simmer for a further 20-25 minutes or until the lentils are cooked but not mushy.
- Finally, add the soy sauce and balsamic vinegar. You can also add coconut milk or cream but this step is optional.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and enjoy! Can be also served with rice or bread.