These vegan meatballs with a spicy gravy will make your mouth water. This gluten-free comfort meal is hearty, satisfying, and easy to make. The meat-free balls are perfect for dinner and meal prep as well! Enjoy these meatless balls over mashed potatoes or spaghetti. They also taste delicious with rice!
Veggie balls with a hearty gravy!
I’ve made these meatless balls a couple of times now, always with some variations. Finally, I created a recipe which totally convinced me. And not only I love these vegan meatballs, but my boyfriend is also a big fan as well. They are spicy, hearty and satisfying. And the gravy is seriously the best gravy I’ve ever made! Both recipes are plant-based, gluten-free, nut-free, and easy to make. You most likely already have all the ingredients at home or can buy them in the next store!
How to make vegan meatballs?
It’s surprisingly easy to make these meat-free balls. First, you need to process all ingredients in a food processor (see picture above). Then you form the dough into equally sized balls. The smaller you make them, the faster they will cook. Fry them in a skillet first, and then bake in the oven until crispy and delicious! Meanwhile, you can make the delicious spicy gravy! 🙂
Perfect for dinner or meal prep
These meat-free balls are perfect for dinner but they are also great as a meal prep for lunch at work, uni or school.
What I love about these vegan meatballs, is, that they can be served with (mashed) potatoes, rice, and pasta (spaghetti). I prefer mashed potatoes since I love them a lot. But every combo tastes very delicious. You can get creative and eat them a couple of times per week but serve them differently every time which means that meals never get boring.
Meatless balls + gravy = perfect match
This hearty gravy is a perfect match for these vegan meatballs. They taste so good together and therefore I am sharing both recipes for you! You can store gravy leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 or 4 days.
These vegan meatballs are:
- Rich in protein
- Easy to make
Texture of these vegan meatballs
I love how the texture turned out. They do not fall apart but they aren’t gummy either. You have to give them a try, I am sure you will love them as well.
Should you recreate my recipe, please leave a comment below and don’t forget to tag me in your Instagram or Facebook post with @elavegan and #elavegan because I love to see your remakes. Definitely also check out my Vegan Meatloaf Recipe!
Vegan meatballs with gravy
- One 15 oz can black beans drained and rinsed (250 g)
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds (35 g)
- 1/2 cup oats (gluten-free if needed) (45 g)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste (60 g)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp ground chia seeds or flax seeds
- Spice mix: 1/2 tbsp onion powder, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp ground oregano, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1/2 tsp smoked paprika, 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Oil for frying
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth or water (360 ml)
- 1/3 cup plant-based cream or canned coconut milk (80 ml)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste (60 g)
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger (minced)
- Ground spice mix: 3 tsp curry powder, 1 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp turmeric, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp smoked paprika, 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, 1 tsp coconut sugar (or brown sugar), sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp cornstarch (to thicken)
- Fresh parsley to garnish
- Preheat oven to 390 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Prepare mashed potatoes as described in this recipe or make your favorite pasta or rice (whatever you want to serve with your vegan meatballs).
- Put all ingredients (except oil) to a food processor (or blender) and pulse a couple of times. Scrape down the sides and pulse again. Repeat for about one minute or until the mixture sticks together.
- Roll the mixture with your hands into balls. I used 1 tbsp per ball (the recipe makes about 15 balls).
- Heat 2-3 tbsp oil in a pan/skillet and fry balls for about 6-8 minutes over medium heat. Shake the pan from time to time to fry the balls evenly from all sides.
- Transfer the balls to a baking sheet and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- To make the gravy, simply add the tomato paste to a pan (use the same pan which you used for the meatless balls), pour in the plant-based cream and stir with a whisk to smooth out the tomato paste. Then slowly add the vegetable broth while stirring.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, add all other ingredients (except cornstarch and fresh parsley) and let simmer over medium heat for about 10-12 minutes (the longer you simmer the gravy, the more flavorful and thicker it will be).
- In a small bowl mix cornstarch with a little bit of water and add it to the pan. The gravy will get a little bit thicker. Keep simmering for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Pour the gravy over the meat-free balls and serve with either mashed potatoes, pasta or rice! Store leftovers of the gravy in a container in the fridge (can be kept in the fridge for about 3-4 days).
- Recipe serves 3. Nutrition facts are for one serving (without the mashed potatoes).
If you are using Pinterest, feel free to pin the following photo: