DIY homemade coconut milk recipe
I adore coconuts, I always did and I love coconut palms. I am lucky to have one on my property. Coconuts are so versatile and they can even be a life saver! They are really amazing, the coconut water is refeshing and very healthy, it’s rich in minerals like magnesium and manganese and B-vitamins. The coconut meat is high in fiber, fat and minerals, very nourishing and tasty. You will just need the coconut meat of one brown coconut and 3-4 cups of water to make my delicious homemade coconut milk recipe. You have to use the brown “mature” coconuts, not the young Thai coconuts.
Easy homemade coconut milk recipe
1 brown coconut
2-3 cups of hot water
A blender or food processor
A milk bag to strain the milk
Put the meat of one brown coconut and 2-3 cups of water in your blender or food processor and blend for about 5 minutes. Use either a cheesecloth or a fine sieve to strain the milk. You can use the pulp in your muesli or bake a cake with it. That’s it, ready is your homemade and fresh coconut milk, without additives, without hormones, so easy and delicious. If you want a very rich and creamy coconut milk use 2 cups of water, otherwise use 3 cups.
Here are 8 facts why to not consume dairy
1. Casein, which makes up 87% of cows milk protein, is the most significant carcinogen humans consume as per Dr. Colin Campbell. Check out his page for more information.
2. Milk is allowed to have a certain amount of red and also white pus cells in it (400 million pus cells in a litre). There are also pus cells in organic milk.
3. Dairy cows are impregnated against their will and carry their babies for 9 months. Baby calves are stolen from their mothers within hours of birth in order to maximize profit. Male calves are slaughtered early on in life for veal.
4. Cows don’t produce milk for human consumption. By all means, we are not baby calves. Humans are the only species who drink milk from another species and after they were weaned off.
But milk contains Calcium right?
5. Like all animal protein, milk acidifies the body pH. Calcium is an excellent acid neutralizer, moreover our bones are the main storage site of calcium in the body. This calcium can neutralize the acidifying effect of milk. As soon as calcium is pulled out of the bones, it leaves the body via the urine and consequently there is a calcium deficit.
6. Organic milk and other animal products contain artery-clogging saturated fat and furthermore cholesterol, just like conventional animal products.
7. Milk and dairy products contain inflammatory substances and furthermore growth hormones that clog your pores and cause acne, psoriasis, eczema, and dermatitis.
Do you want to lose weight? Ditch dairy!
8. The high saturated fat content in milk makes losing weight difficult. In addition, dairy products all contain varying amounts of lactose (milk sugar), and the protein in milk generates an insulin response, both of which hinder weight loss.
There is no reason to consume dairy since there are so many healthy and cruelty free alternatives like this homemade coconut milk recipe or almond milk, oat milk and many more.
Sources: e.g. peta.org / livelovefruit.com
Homemade Coconut Milk Recipe
- 1 (300 g) coconut
- 2-3 cups (480-720 ml) hot water
- A milk bag to strain the milk
- Use a screwdriver and hammer to puncture the three “eyes” of the coconut to drain the coconut water (you can use it for a smoothie). With the hammer, tap the middle of the coconut from all sides and after some minutes it will crack and you can open it. Carefully remove the white meat with a knife.
- Blend the meat with 2-3 cups of hot water for 5 minutes. Use either a cheesecloth or a fine sieve to strain the milk.
- If you want a very rich and creamy coconut milk use 2 cups of water, otherwise use 3 cups.
- Store in the fridge. It tastes best cold! Enjoy!
- You can use the coconut pulp in your muesli or bake a cake or cookies with it.
Nutrition information is an estimate and has been calculated automatically
If you are using Pinterest, feel free to pin the following photo:
Can You teach me How can make coconut yogurt ?thank you
Why do we use hot water ?
Hot water will result in richer/creamier coconut milk because hot water will release more fat from the coconut. 🙂
Hi Ela, Thanks for giving us such a nice smoothie idea. I was looking for an idea how to make coconut milk easily you present it very well.
I am glad it’s helpful, Emily! 🙂
I’m so in love in natur and this page is celebrating in all their beauty. Thanks so much.
Thanks for the compliment! I am so glad you like my blog. 🙂
This is such a great post Ela! I’m so glad to read all about the reasons not to eat daily along side a great recipe for a diary alternative. Well done!! And your blog is beautiful.
Thank you very much for your compliments, Corey. I am glad you like this post and my blog in general. Much love ❤️
Dee | Green Smoothie Gourmet
Hi Ela!!!! BEAUTIFUL blog!!! So exciting sweetie, love the font and on mobile it looks beautiful! Later today I’ll visit on laptop❤️❤️ And this recipe and info is wonderfully detailed! Thank you for sharing! Dee xx
Dee, my sweet friend!! Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving such a nice comment. Only with your help I was able to start this blog and I still can’t thank you enough for your support at the very beginning. Sending you and your baby Periwinkle a big hug ❤️
So awesome, Ela! I didn’t know it was that easy to make! Thanks for sharing and I’m definitely going to try this soon 🙂
Thank you so much Jackie! I am glad to hear you are going to make my recipe. Much love ❤️
Natalie | Feasting on Fruit
Ela you have a blog now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ahhh this is just so freaking exciting that I am here commenting on your blog, I love it! And you already have it loaded up with so many beautiful and delicious recipes too, I am impressed! Congrats girl, and I cannot wait to see more and connect with you not just on IG 🙂 Much love!
Aww you are so sweet Natalie! Thank you so much for checking out my blog. Yay I am so glad I finally went live, took me so long because of the Multisite. Sending much love back. PS: Love your blog too 🙂
Thanks for this Ella, would love to see how to make coconut cooking oil too.
Thanks for your compliment. I never tried making coconut oil, so I cannot help you with this. Maybe check out some videos on Youtube. 🙂
Thanks a lot for this coconut milk recipe 🙂 I have been thinking about preparing it myself (I do prepare my own nut milk every time) for a while, but now it seems I have to give it a try. Just have to work out how to open a coconut.
Hey Andreas, I always use a hammer to crack open a coconut. Just tap it in the middle all around and after some minutes it will crack and you can open it. But before you do that use a screwdriver and puncture the three “eyes” to drain the juice. Hope this helps. PS: Du kannst auch Deutsch mit mir reden 😉
Thank you for posting this recipe! Reminds me of my grandma that used to make coconut milk from scratch. Definitely making this and many more recipes from your gorgeous blog!! Ela you are so creative and amazing. Love you lots and wish you the best my dear amiga!!
Aww gracias Mariela, so kind of you to leave a comment. This coconut milk is really easy to make and tastes so much better than the store bought version. Thanks again for your compliment. Much love to you 🙂
This white color is so pure,:) it seems so easy to make and it’s healthy. For the cow milk, I stopped it years ago because i didn’t like the taste and i knew it was not good for our body and now, i know it’s awful for cows.
Aw and I love your blog Ela <3
Aww thank you so much Barbara, I am so happy you stopped drinking cow’s milk a long time ago. There are so many healthy alternatives, we really don’t need dairy. Thanks for your compliment on my blog 🙂