Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff
What was your favorite meal as a kid? Well, this was mine: Mushroom Stroganoff! I was a picky eater back then and I almost never finished a meal. However, when my mom made Mushroom Stroganoff I licked out the entire plate! I am not kidding! And no, I wasn’t vegan as a kid, I was vegetarian though. But it’s not difficult to veganize this meal and I am sure you will love my vegan Mushroom Stroganoff as much as I do.
I adore mushrooms and vegan Mushroom Stroganoff will always remain one of my most favorite meals! The recipe is plant-based, gluten-free, creamy and flavorful. You will only need one pan to cook this easy to make comfort dish. If you love mushrooms, then you should definitely also check out my Vegan Mushroom Risotto.
Ready in less than 30 minutes
It took me only 25 minutes to cook this vegan Mushroom Stroganoff. From start to finish. It’s seriously very easy to make and I bet you already have most ingredients at home. So if you are looking for a quick vegan dinner or lunch, this easy recipe is for you!
This vegan Mushroom Stroganoff is:
- Easy to make
- A great comfort meal
- Cooked in one pan
I tried out a few different Mushroom Stroganoff recipes in the past, however, most of them tasted quite bland. They actually contained just mushrooms, onion, garlic, and salt. Somehow all the spices were missing lol. I love to add different spices to all my meals. Onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, and smoked paprika is a must.
And since I also like spicy meals I often add red pepper flakes (chili flakes) as well. Of course, fresh herbs are very important. This vegan Mushroom Stroganoff tastes best with fresh thyme and parsley. I also love to add fresh tarragon but make sure not to add too much because it has an intense flavor.
If you make this delicious dish and maybe even take a photo of it, then I would love to see it. You can DM it to me on Instagram. Don’t forget to tag me in your Insta caption + photo with @elavegan and use the hashtag #elavegan and I will gladly check out your post.
Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff
- 1 onion diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 11 oz (300 g) fresh mushrooms sliced (*see notes)
- 4 tbsp (40 ml) white wine (optional) (*see notes)
- 1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) vegetable broth or water
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) plant-based milk or cream (*see notes)
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- A pinch of red pepper flakes
- Salt & black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes (optional)
- Fresh thyme leaves and/or parsley (and/or tarragon) chopped
- Serve with brown rice or pasta of choice
- Heat oil in a large pan/skillet, add onion and fry for about 5 minutes. Add garlic and fry for a further 1 minute.
- Now add the mushrooms and fry over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Pour in white wine (optional), vegetable broth, tamari (or soy sauce), and the spice mixture. I love adding nutritional yeast flakes as well but that's optional! Bring to a boil.
- Add cornstarch to the plant-based milk or cream (I used canned coconut milk, however, almond milk, oat milk/cream or soy milk/cream is fine too) and stir to dissolve.
- Pour the milk/cream mixture into the pan and cook on low-medium heat for about 10 minutes until the sauce thickens. Taste and adjust seasonings as to your preference.
- Add fresh thyme leaves and/or parsley and/or tarragon to taste! Enjoy with brown rice or pasta of choice! This creamy mushroom sauce also tastes great over mashed potatoes!
- You can use white button mushrooms or cremini mushrooms.
- I prefer a dry white wine but you can leave it out or substitute 1/2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar.
- Any plant-based milk works in this recipe. I often use canned coconut milk (because it's higher in fat and makes the sauce creamier and richer) but cashew milk, almond milk, etc. will be fine too.
- Recipe serves two. Nutrition facts are for one serving.
IF YOU ARE USING PINTEREST, FEEL FREE TO PIN THE FOLLOWING PHOTO: