Vegan mushroom risotto with chickpeas
I am probably the biggest fan of mushrooms, I always loved them, even as a child. I add them to almost all of my favorite savory dishes, like pasta, pizza, omelette etc. The flavor and texture of mushrooms is incredible and they are furthermore healthy. So let’s make this delicious creamy vegan mushroom risotto and throw in some chickpeas, because who doesn’t love some extra plant-based protein.
Easy to make vegan mushroom risotto
My healthy vegan mushroom risotto is the perfect comfort food and it’s ready in less than 40 minutes. This recipe requires only a few steps which aren’t complicated at all. Most mushroom risotto recipes contain cheese/parmesan but you can simply add nutritional yeast flakes to make this dish even more flavorful, delicious, and of course, vegan.
This vegan mushroom risotto is:
- The perfect comfort food
- Easy to make
Risotto rice or regular rice
You can make this delicious dish with risotto rice (for example arborio rice) and it will get super creamy. However, if you don’t have risotto rice at home then you can also use regular white rice (I tried both). The vegan mushroom risotto will still turn out creamy and delicious because of the coconut milk.
Chickpeas for more protein
I love adding chickpeas to my dishes because they add healthy plant-based protein. If you aren’t a fan of chickpeas, simply leave them out, the vegan mushroom risotto will still taste amazing. For more chickpea recipes check out my popular vegan chickpea curry.
Should you recreate my vegan mushroom risotto recipe, please leave a comment below and don’t forget to tag me in your Instagram or Facebook post with @elavegan and #elavegan because I love to see your recreations.
Vegan mushroom risotto
- 1/2 cup risotto rice (120 g)
- 1 medium onion diced (divided)
- 2 big cloves garlic minced (divided)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil divided
- 1/4 cup white wine (vegan) (60 ml)
- 1 1/4 cup vegetable broth (300 ml)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk canned (120 ml)
- 3 cups white mushrooms sliced (200 g)
- 1 cup chickpeas canned (150 g)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (wheat free if GF)
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Nutritional yeast flakes to garnish
- Fresh parsley, black pepper, sea salt, red pepper flakes to taste
- Heat 1 tbsp coconut oil in a skillet/frying pan, stir in 1/2 of the diced onion and 1 clove of minced garlic and fry for 4-5 minutes over medium heat
- Add rice, stir for about 1 minute until the rice is opaque. Pour over the wine, keep stirring constantly until the wine is absorbed
- Add 1/2 cup vegetable broth to the rice, and cook on low-medium heat until the broth is absorbed. Stir continuously and add more broth, 1/4 cup at a time until the liquid is absorbed and the risotto is cooked and creamy (about 15 minutes)
- In a different skillet/frying pan heat the remaining 1 tbsp coconut oil, stir in the remaining diced onion and minced garlic and fry for 4-5 minutes over medium heat
- Add the mushrooms and chickpeas and fry for 3-5 minutes, add balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, and coconut milk and let simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with black pepper, red pepper flakes, salt to taste and fresh parsley
- Transfer the mushrooms mixture to the risotto rice, stir in the nutritional yeast flakes and enjoy!
If you are using Pinterest, feel free to pin the following photo: