Vegan spinach quesadillas which will make your mouth water! These easy to make quesadillas filled with eggplant, spinach, and vegan cheese are healthy, gluten-free and done in less than 30 minutes.
Vegan Spinach Quesadillas
If you follow me on Instagram you probably know that I love quesadillas! I have always been a “cheese fanatic” and loved eating vegetarian quesadillas in the past (before going vegan). Giving up cheese was really hard for me but after going vegan in September 2011 (7 1/2 years ago!) I had to find alternatives. It didn’t take very long until I started experimenting in the kitchen. I asked myself “how can I make vegan cheese” and eventually came up with different recipes which I liked. My favorite is my easy vegan cheese sauce which I seriously adore and so many of my friends, my family, Instagram followers and blog readers love it as well!
After I perfected the vegan cheese recipe I was finally able to enjoy quesadillas again! And today I want to share a new quesadillas recipe with you. Are you ready for these vegan spinach quesadillas?!
Spinach Quesadillas Ingredients
These quesadillas aren’t the typical “Mexican quesadillas” which you might know. Actually, they aren’t Mexican at all, haha! They contain spinach, eggplant, vegan cheese, and different spices. You might wonder why I added eggplant (aubergine). Well, I really love cooking with eggplant, because I love the texture and taste of fried eggplant. It has a nice flavor when you season it with the right condiments and goes well with all kind of savory dishes.
In my opinion, it should be used more often! Eggplant is also the main ingredient of my favorite chickpea curry recipe. If you haven’t tried it yet, definitely consider making it asap! If you aren’t a fan of spinach or eggplant, definitely check out these quesadillas with black beans, corn, mushrooms, and peppers!
Corn Tortillas Or Flour Tortillas?
You can certainly use flour tortillas or even corn tortillas to make these spinach quesadillas. I prefer making my own tortillas with chickpea flour and tapioca flour. They always turn out great and taste delicious. Furthermore, they are gluten-free and therefore a great alternative to regular wheat tortillas. I love them because they are pliable and just perfect for all types of quesadilla recipes. Check out my homemade tortilla recipe here.
Can I Make These Spinach Quesadillas Ahead Of Time?
You can make the eggplant filling ahead of time and store it in the fridge or even freeze it! I would recommend adding the spinach once you reheat the eggplant filling in the skillet. I would also suggest making the vegan cheese sauce fresh (which takes only 3 minutes btw) or to use store-bought vegan cheese. You might also ask yourself if you can freeze the cooked eggplant quesadillas. I honestly haven’t tried it yet, so I cannot say for sure but it should work just fine. If you want to freeze the quesadillas, make sure to use freezer bags.
These Spinach Quesadillas Are:
- Vegan (egg-free, dairy-free)
- Great comfort food
- Very easy to make
- Great for lunch, dinner, or as a snack
How To Make Vegan Quesadillas?
This recipe is seriously so easy to make in just a few steps. You need to chop the veggies, fry all ingredients in a pan, make the vegan cheese sauce (or use store-bought cheese) and that’s basically it. Watch the video below (right after the instruction steps) to see how simple it is to make these cheesy quesadillas. You can dip them in tomato sauce or serve them with vegan queso.
Should you recreate these veggie quesadillas, please leave a comment below and don’t forget to tag me in your Instagram or Facebook post with @elavegan and #elavegan because I love to see your recreations.
Vegan Spinach Quesadillas
- 4-6 tortillas (gluten-free if needed)
- 1 medium-sized onion diced
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 large (300 g) eggplant (aubergine) chopped into small cubes (max. 1 inch)
- 6 oz (170 g) spinach fresh, roughly chopped
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- 4-5 tbsp red wine (or vegetable broth)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (gluten-free if needed) or coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- ground chipotle chili powder to taste
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- One batch of vegan cheese sauce (or vegan cheese of choice)
- Watch the video (scroll down a bit) to see all instruction steps.
- Heat oil in a skillet, add onion and fry over medium heat for about 3 minutes.
- Add the eggplant, garlic, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, red wine, all spices and cook over medium heat with a lid on for 12-15 minutes. Stir frequently. Make sure the eggplant is thoroughly cooked.
- Add spinach, stir, and cook for a further 30-60 seconds. Turn off the heat.
- While the eggplant cooks, make a batch of my vegan cheese sauce (you can, of course, use any other vegan cheese of choice instead).
- Put one tortilla into a lightly greased pan/skillet (you can use cooking spray), add some of the eggplant filling and the vegan cheese sauce.
- Place another tortilla on top. Fry for about 2-3 minutes, flip and cook from the other side until both sides are nicely browned and toasty.
- Repeat steps for the remaining tortillas. Cut into 4 pieces and enjoy hot!
- Recipe serves 8. Nutrition facts are for one serving.
IF YOU ARE USING PINTEREST, FEEL FREE TO PIN THE FOLLOWING PHOTO: