Vegan blueberry cream pie
“This is the best pie I ever ate…” A sentence from my boyfriend… a rare sentence, which I actually never heard before. Especially since he is a big fan of my savory dishes but often rolls his eyes when I create a new dessert. But not this time! He seriously LOVED this blueberry cream pie and almost ate the entire cheesecake by himself. Well at least I could grab 2 small pieces and I can confirm that this pie is delicious!
I always get excited when I can buy fresh blueberries in the store because I have so many ideas for blueberry desserts. Blueberries are simply delicious, healthy and pretty. I used them to make the yummy blueberry lime compote which adds this special note and underlines the taste of the cream layer. This blueberry cream pie recipe is vegan, gluten-free, refined sugar-free and easy to make.
Blueberry cream pie ingredients
The crust of this healthy blueberry cream pie contains almond flour, oats, nuts or seeds of choice (you could use peanuts, hazelnuts, macadamia nuts, sunflower seeds etc.), a liquid sweetener like agave syrup or maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
The cream layer contains soaked cashews, tofu, a liquid sweetener, coconut milk, lime- or lemon juice and vanilla extract. You can use silken tofu or regular tofu, both work well. You could also increase the amount of cashews and leave out the tofu if you can’t eat soy. Or you could use coconut yogurt or vegan cream cheese instead, however, the cream layer will turn out less firm. Furthermore, I really love how the cream layer of this blueberry cream pie came out with the cashew/tofu combination.
The blueberry compote contains blueberries, lime- or lemon juice, a liquid sweetener and I also added a teaspoon of maqui berry powder. This is optional but it adds a very lovely color. I once also used it to naturally color the purple layer of my raw vegan blueberry cheesecake.
This blueberry cream pie is:
- Refined sugar-free
- Easy to make
Great for a birthday party
This vegan blueberry cream pie is perfect for a Sunday brunch but it’s equally great for a birthday. So if you got really excited and hungry now, then make this pie for the weekend, I am sure you will love it as well.
Please leave a comment below if you make this blueberry cream pie. You can also make a photo of it and post it on Instagram (or send me a DM). If you tag me in the caption + photo with @elavegan and use the hashtag #elavegan I will gladly check out your post and leave a comment.
Blueberry cream pie
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C)
- Soak cashews overnight or boil them for about 15 minutes until they are soft
- Process all pie crust ingredients in a food processor and press the mixture evenly into the bottom of a lined 6-inch springform and about 2-3 inches (5 - 7.5 cm) up the sides
- Bake in the oven for 18 to 20 minutes, turn off the oven and let the pie crust cool
- Meanwhile, blend all cream ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth and creamy
- Pour the cream onto the crust and put the springform into the freezer for about 45-60 minutes to set
- Transfer all ingredients for the blueberry layer into a small pan, bring to a boil and let simmer on low heat for 3-5 minutes. Let cool
- Pour the blueberry layer onto the cream and enjoy this delicious blueberry cream pie! Store leftovers in the fridge
If you are using Pinterest, feel free to pin the following photo: