Baked blueberry donuts | vegan, gluten free, low fat
Yesterday was “National Donut Day” and that’s why I made these baked blueberry donuts with a lemon glaze. I mean you can never have enough donuts in your life, right, but when it’s “National Donut Day” you actually have an excuse to make and to eat donuts. And let me tell you, these vegan blueberry donuts are so good, that’s why I will make them again very soon and I don’t care if it’s “National Donut Day” or not.
These donuts will be a hit when you make them for your family or friends. Actually, I never met a person who doesn’t like blueberry donuts. And because these donuts are baked and not deep fried they are actually a healthy dessert. Of course, eating plain blueberries is healthier but we are talking about donuts! Compared to store-bought donuts, my baked blueberry donuts are super healthy. My donuts neither contain butter, eggs, gluten, nor dairy! You can even make the glaze refined sugar-free. I use Erythritol which I bought HERE. To learn more about Erythritol read my Vegan gluten free carrot cake blog post.
Easy to make baked blueberry donuts
It didn’t take me more than 15 minutes to prepare these vegan baked blueberry donuts. And they only need to be in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes. So when you start making them now, you could enjoy them in about 30 minutes.
Healthy baked blueberry donuts
As I already mentioned before these donuts are much healthier than store-bought donuts as they aren’t deep fried. I added lots of blueberries, not only because I love them, but they are also very healthy. Did you know that blueberries are one of the healthiest berries which can even prevent cancer? I have seen a couple of documentaries about how beneficial berries are for our health, so I like to eat them as often as possible. And no, I don’t only eat them in form of donuts, muffins or cakes but if I can add them to a delicious dessert, why shouldn’t I?
Since Blackberries have even more antioxidants than blueberries I might make baked blackberry donuts in the future. To learn more about the health benefits of blueberries, check out this article.
Summary of my plant-based baked blueberry donuts:
- Refined sugar-free (when you use Erythritol for the glaze)
- Gluten free
- Done in 30 minutes
- Easy to make
Try out my baked blueberry donuts
I hope you enjoyed this blog post and I can’t wait to hear back from you about my recipe. Feel free to comment below, and tag me in your Instagram or Facebook post with @elavegan and #elavegan as I love to see your recreations.
Baked blueberry donuts
For the donuts:
- Preheat your oven to 190 °C (370 °F) and lightly grease your donut mold with oil
- Put the shredded coconut into your coffee grinder or food processor, mix for 10-20 seconds and put the mixture into a bowl
- Sift all remaining dry ingredients into the same bowl
- Process all wet ingredients (except the blueberries!) in your food processor or blender and pour the mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients
- Stir with a whisk until just combined (don't overmix). The batter should form some bubbles because the baking soda will react with the lemon/lime juice
- Fold in the blueberries and spoon the batter into your donut mold. Bake in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes and let the donuts cool
For the lemon glaze:
- Put the Erythritol or sugar in your food processor or coffee grinder and blend until it's very fine like icing sugar. Use a whisk to mix it in a small bowl with the coconut milk and lemon juice. If the glaze is too thick add more milk or lemon juice
- Put the frosting on the donuts and store the donuts in the fridge. Enjoy!
If you are using Pinterest, feel free to pin the following photo: