Delicious blueberry banana bread with an amazing Maqui Berry frosting. The recipe is vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, high in antioxidants and easy to make.
Blueberry banana bread with a Maqui Berry frosting
Fluffly, fruity, moist, and super delicious blueberry banana bread. If you crave something sweet for breakfast or as a dessert, then you should give this recipe a try. This blueberry banana bread is not only vegan, it’s also gluten-free, oil-free, and healthy. It has an amazing Maqui Berry frosting which is even refined sugar-free and high in antioxidants! How amazing is that?! Are you ready for this yummy sweet treat?
Blueberry banana bread ingredients
This recipe contains only 10 ingredients (baking soda and baking powder not counted) and all of them are plant-based. I used oat flour (ground oats) and almond flour (finely ground almonds) as my flour mixture. However, you can sub any other ground nuts/seeds for almond flour. Read the recipe notes below for more info.
As an egg substitute, I used ground chia seeds but you can also choose ground flax seeds. Bananas are also an egg substitute and they add a pleasant taste and a natural sweetness. Moreover, they are rich in vitamins and minerals. I love to use canned (or homemade) coconut milk because it’s higher in fat than e.g. boxed oat milk, rice milk or almond milk etc. which are all watered down a lot. You could use oat cream, soy cream, homemade cashew milk (or any other homemade nut milk with not too much water) as a substitute.
Healthy Maqui Berry frosting
As mentioned before, this blueberry banana bread contains a healthy Maqui Berry frosting. I made it with the raw, organic Maqui Berry powder from SUNFOOD which I absolutely love because of the incredible health properties, taste, and the lovely purple color.
Maqui Berry powder is high in antioxidants such as anthocyanins and polyphenols and has a high ORAC value. It also contains Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B3, Magnesium, Calcium, and Potassium. It’s truly an amazing superfruit and possibly one of the healthiest foods out there. Sunfood’s Maqui Berry powder is raw, non-GMO, and freeze-dried to maintain its superfood power and enzymatic activity.
It’s important to know that Maqui Berry powder should be consumed raw and not cooked. That’s why I have already used the same wonderful superfood powder in a couple of other recipes. For example in this raw blueberry cheesecake or this raw bliss balls.
This blueberry banana bread is:
- High in antioxidants
- Refined sugar-free
- Easy to make
Great for breakfast or dessert
This blueberry banana bread is a wonderful breakfast or dessert. You can store it in the fridge for up to 5 days. It stays moist, fluffy and delicious. I am sure it would be also a great “cake” for a birthday party, especially for kids because of the beautiful purple color. And who doesn’t love a healthy sweet treat which contains so many antioxidants from the Maqui Berry powder and blueberries?
If you make this blueberry banana bread and maybe even take a photo of it, then I would love to see it. You can DM it to me on Instagram. Don’t forget to tag me in your Insta caption + photo with @elavegan and use the hashtag #elavegan and I will gladly check out your post.
Blueberry Banana Bread
- 2 cups oat flour (GF if necessary) (220 g) *see recipe notes
- 1/2 cup almond flour (60 g) *see recipe notes
- 1 tbsp ground chia seeds or ground flax seeds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- Put all dry ingredients in a bowl and stir until there are no clumps.
- Process all wet ingredients (except the blueberries) in a food processor or blender and pour the mixture into the dry ingredients. Stir with a whisk. Now fold in the blueberries.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper. My pan measures 8 x 4 x 2.5 inches. Spoon the mixture into the loaf pan.
- Bake in the oven at 356 degrees F (180 degrees C) for about 40 minutes. The blueberry banana bread is ready when a toothpick comes out almost clean (don't overcook it). Let it cool in the fridge.
- For the maqui berry frosting: Put the Erythritol in your food processor or coffee grinder and mix until it's very fine like icing sugar. Use a whisk to mix it in a small bowl with the plant-based milk, the lime/lemon juice, and the Maqui berry powder. If the frosting is too thick add more milk or lime/lemon juice. If it's too thin add more Erythritol. Spread the frosting on the bread and put it in the fridge until the frosting is hard. Enjoy!
IF YOU ARE USING PINTEREST, FEEL FREE TO PIN THE FOLLOWING PHOTO: