Vegan stuffed peppers | a healthy & gluten-free recipe
Is there something more amazing than stuffed veggies?! Probably yes, however, I seriously LOVE stuffed peppers. My parents often made this dish when I was a kid and it was one of my favorites. Now I make my own vegan stuffed peppers and always get very excited when I prepare them because I think of the good old times.
These vegan stuffed peppers contain rice, veggies, fragrant spices and plant-based cheese. This meal is flavorful, rich in taste and perfect for lunch or dinner. It is furthermore plant-based, gluten-free, healthy and super easy to make. Are you hungry already? Ok, so let’s start!
Vegan stuffed pepper filled with healthy ingredients
I stuffed my peppers with rice, textured soy protein, chopped bell peppers, onions, crushed tomatoes, and garlic. You can also add more veggies like mushrooms, zucchini, or any other veggies which you love.
Top your vegan stuffed peppers with any plant-based cheese of choice or make my easy vegan cheese sauce which is done in 3 minutes only. I simply poured some of the cheese sauce over the peppers before I cooked them in the oven. And later I decided to pour a little bit more on top because it’s so delicious lol.
These vegan stuffed peppers are:
- A great comfort food
- Easy to make
Substitute for textured soy protein
I have included textured soy protein because it adds a great texture, and of course, plant-based protein to the dish. However, if you want to avoid soy, you can also use chickpeas or beans instead. Chickpeas are delicious with every savory meal and I love to add them to various dishes, like this VEGAN CHICKPEA CURRY for example.
Should you recreate my vegan stuffed peppers, please leave a comment below and don’t forget to tag me in your Instagram or Facebook post with @elavegan and #elavegan because I love to see your recreations.
Vegan stuffed peppers
- 4 bell peppers
- 2 cups cooked rice of choice
- 1 cup textured soy protein or chickpeas
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 1/2 cup chopped bell peppers (any color you like)
- 4 tbsp crushed tomatoes
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (wheat-free if GF)
- 1 tbsp oil (e.g. sesame oil or coconut oil)
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1/2 tbsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- vegan cheese sauce (or your favorite vegan cheese) to taste
- chopped chives to taste
- Cook your favorite rice according to packaging instructions. You will need 2 cups of cooked rice for this recipe
- Soak 1 cup of textured soy protein (TVP) in a bowl with 1 cup of hot water (or vegetable broth) and set aside for 5-10 minutes (skip this step if you are going to use chickpeas). The TVP will begin to fluff and absorb all the liquid
- With a knife, carefully remove the "lids" of the 4 bell peppers and also discard all the seeds
- Heat oil in a skillet, add the chopped onion, minced garlic, the textured soy protein and fry for 4-5 minutes over medium heat
- Add the chopped 1/2 cup bell peppers, crushed tomatoes, soy sauce, peanut butter, spices (curry, smoked paprika), salt/pepper to taste and coconut milk to the skillet and let simmer for about 5 minutes on low-medium heat. Stir occasionally
- Now add the cooked rice and check if the mixture needs more salt/pepper/spices
- Fill the 4 peppers with the rice/veggie mixture, add your favorite vegan cheese to taste or make my easy vegan cheese sauce, and cook in the oven at 190 degrees C (about 375 degrees F) for about 30-45 minutes. You will probably have some leftovers of the rice/veggie mixture
- Enjoy your stuffed vegan peppers!
If you are using Pinterest, feel free to pin the following photo: