Stuffed potato skins = yummy comfort food
I am such a big fan of stuffed food. Whether it is stuffed peppers or stuffed potato cakes. I just love these kind of dishes. No wonder I also had to make these healthy stuffed potato skins. Because who doesn’t love potatoes, corn, beans, and cheese? If these ingredients are your favorite as well, you should seriously consider making this recipe ASAP.
You can use black beans or kidney beans like I did. On some days I prefer one over the other, it always depends on my mood and how well my pantry is stocked. Both are delicious though. Did you know that beans are very healthy? “They are high in minerals and fiber without the saturated fat found in some animal proteins. Eating beans as part of a heart healthy diet and lifestyle may help improve your blood cholesterol, a leading cause of heart disease.”
These stuffed potato skins are also very easy to make. All you have to do is bake the potatoes in the oven, scoop out the flesh, fill them with the delicious bean mixture, add vegan cheese and that’s about it. If you are looking for an easy vegan dinner or lunch, this recipe is definitely for you!
These stuffed potato skins are:
- Easy to make
The great thing about this recipe is that you can vary it as you like. You can prepare these stuffed potato skins with regular potatoes or you could also use sweet potatoes to make stuffed sweet potato skins. White (Japanese) sweet potatoes or orange sweet potatoes work well. Also, you can try out different spices, make the recipe hot with either hot sauce or chipotle peppers etc. It never gets boring!
I love using scallions or fresh chives. Fresh cilantro is also a great choice but I don’t like using too much of it. After a while, it just tastes weird to me. Is it just me?
While I type these sentences, I am about to reheat leftovers in the oven and go watch some TV. Because there is seriously nothing better than a yummy comfort meal and watching series, right?!
If you make this healthy dish and maybe even take a photo of it, then I would love to see it. You can DM it to me on Instagram. Don’t forget to tag me in your Insta caption + photo with @elavegan and use the hashtag #elavegan and I will gladly check out your post.
Healthy Stuffed Potato Skins
- 3 medium potatoes
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- 1 small/medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cups corn fresh, frozen or canned (drained and rinsed)
- 1 1/2 cups black beans or kidney beans (one 15 oz can, drained and rinsed)
- 1/3 cup (80 g) vegan sour cream
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- sea salt, black pepper & hot sauce to taste
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 6-8 tbsp vegan cheese
- 4 scallions or a few tablespoons of chives, chopped
- Preheat oven to 390 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Wash potatoes, pierce them a couple of times with a fork and brush with a little bit oil.
- Bake for about 45-60 minutes or until soft.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan or skillet, add onion and fry over medium heat for about 2-3 minutes. Add corn (I used fresh corn from the cob) and spice mixture and roast over medium heat until nicely browned.
- Add garlic and roast for a further 1 minute.
- Turn off the heat. Add beans, vegan sour cream, nutritional yeast, and chopped scallions.
- Cut each (cooled) potato in half (lengthwise) and scoop out most of the flesh (leave a thin layer of potato inside of the skins). Place the potato skins on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Mash the flesh of the potatoes with a fork and add it to the pan (with the corn, beans etc.).
- Combine the mixture and adjust seasonings to taste.
- Scoop the filling into the potato skins and add vegan cheese on top (I used my vegan cheese sauce).
- Broil at 390 degrees F (200 degrees C) for about 5 minutes. Enjoy!
- You can use canned beans or cook them from dry.
- Recipe serves 6. Nutrition facts are for one serving.
IF YOU ARE USING PINTEREST, FEEL FREE TO PIN THE FOLLOWING PHOTO: