Stuffed potato cakes with mushrooms, veggies and vegan cheese
Stuffed potato cakes! How amazing does this sound? This recipe idea recently came to my mind and I am glad I tried it out. I wanted to make these “savory pancakes” really special and that’s why I filled them with mushrooms, veggies, and vegan cheese. And the result really convinced me.
For the dough, you’ll need potatoes, cornstarch, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and flour. I used rice flour to make the stuffed potato cakes gluten-free.
However, you can also use wheat flour or spelt flour, in case you don’t have a gluten intolerance. You might need a little bit less flour though but you will notice right away if the consistency of the dough is right.
As a filling, I used an onion, one bell pepper, mushrooms, zucchini and vegan cheese (I used my easy vegan cheese sauce). Of course, I also added various spices which gave the potato cakes an amazing flavor.
Also great as a snack on the go
These stuffed potato cakes are perfect for lunch or dinner. However, you can also prepare them for the next day to take them to work/school/uni.
You can fry them in a pan, then they are crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. If you want them to be even more crunchy, you can bake them additionally for about 20 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit in the oven.
These stuffed potato cakes are:
- Easy to make
- A delicious comfort food
- Perfect for lunch or dinner
- Also great as meal prep
The great thing about this recipe is that you can vary it as you like. For example, you can also use tomatoes, corn, spinach or other vegetables. The potato cakes always taste delicious and never get boring.
If you give this recipe a try, please leave a comment below and don’t forget to tag @elavegan #elavegan on Instagram or Facebook if you take a picture of your dish.
- 1 kg floury potatoes
- 80 g white rice flour (1/2 cup) *see recipe notes
- 50 g cornstarch (1/2 cup)
- salt, pepper, nutmeg (to taste)
- 250 g mushrooms, sliced (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 of a zucchini, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- salt & pepper to taste
- spice mix: 1 tsp Italian spice blend, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/4 red pepper flakes
- oil for frying
- vegan cheese to taste
- Peel potatoes, cut into small pieces and cook in salted water for about 20 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg and mash them with a potato masher. (Please do not use a food processor, otherwise, the mashed potatoes will be sticky).
Allow the mashed potatoes to cool (in the meantime you can prepare the filling), then add flour and cornstarch and mix well with a spoon or your hands.
- Chop the veggies, fry the onion in a pan with a little bit oil for about 3-4 minutes, add the mushrooms, garlic, and also the diced peppers and the zucchini. Sauté everything for a couple of minutes, season with salt, pepper, and the spice mix.
- Split the dough into 8 parts (about 1/2 cup or 120 g each). Form into balls, make a well in the middle and add about one and a half tablespoons of the filling. You can also add some vegan cheese in addition. Carefully "seal" the balls with a little bit more dough and flatten them slightly to make them look like thick pancakes.
Heat approximately 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan and fry the potato cakes at medium heat until golden brown on both sides. They will be crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. If you want them to be slightly more crunchy, you can bake them additionally for about 20 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit in the oven. Enjoy!
Wheat flour or spelt flour might work as well but you will most likely need less.