Easy vegan cheese sauce without cashews!
This is probably the easiest homemade vegan cheese sauce ever! It might change your life, it changed mine, I am not kidding. Coconut milk, tapioca flour, nutritional yeast flakes, water, and salt – these are the ingredients which you will need to make this easy vegan cheese sauce.
Since most people have water and salt at home, all you need to buy is coconut milk, tapioca flour, and nutritional yeast flakes. But maybe you already have these ingredients at home as well. So let’s start to make this easy recipe, it will be done in 3 minutes!
Only a few ingredients
I know there are tons of vegan cheese sauce recipes out there, but most of them contain cashews + many more ingredients and require longer preparation time. This cashew-free cheese sauce contains only a handful of ingredients and is ready in 3 minutes.
How to make vegan cheese sauce
You just need to put all the ingredients into a saucepan, bring the mixture to a boil and that’s it! You don’t even need a blender or food processor. No cooking of veggies, no soaking of cashews. It seriously couldn’t be easier than that.
Not only for vegans
This recipe is not only amazing for vegans. I served it also to vegetarians and meat eaters and everyone loved the taste AND texture of this vegan cheese sauce. The tapioca flour (which is also called tapioca starch) makes this recipe so special because it adds the amazing elasticity to the sauce. It makes the sauce stretchy and even reminds of real cheese. Nutritional yeast is an important ingredient for the taste because it adds a cheesy flavor. The spices are up to you, but I love to add some garlic and onion powder, and also a pinch of smoked paprika.
Perfect for nachos, pizza, gratin and more
You can use this easy vegan cheese sauce for any savory recipe which requires a cheese sauce. Whether it is pizza, nachos, gratin, pasta, or any other plant-based recipe. Sometimes when I am too lazy to make my mac and cheese I will just make this 3-minute cheese sauce and pour it over my cooked pasta and my dinner is served in just a few minutes. I have included some pictures of different vegan dishes which I made using this cheese sauce recipe.
This easy vegan cheese sauce is:
- Gluten free
- Nut-free (no Cashews!)
- Easy to make in a few minutes
Make this vegan cheese sauce today
I made this cheeze sauce probably 100 times already because I use it in almost all of my savory recipes lol. I just love simple recipes which require only a few ingredients and this easy vegan cheese sauce recipe is one of them. So don’t wait any longer and make it NOW. I am sure you will love it as well.
Should you recreate this vegan nacho cheese sauce, please leave a comment below and don’t forget to tag me in your Instagram or Facebook post with @elavegan and #elavegan because I love to see your recreations.
Easy vegan cheese sauce
- Put all ingredients into a saucepan, stir with a whisk, and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Let simmer on low to medium heat for about one minute until the sauce is stretchy.
- Enjoy this vegan cheese sauce with nachos, on pizza, over pasta, and many other savory dishes!
- If the cheese sauce turns out too thick, just add more coconut milk, up to 1 cup.
- In case you don't like the taste of coconut milk, you can sub any plant-based milk instead, e.g. almond milk, cashew milk etc. The higher the fat content of the milk is, the better will be the taste of the vegan cheese sauce.
- Tapioca flour/starch can be bought in every Asia shop or big supermarkets or simply ordered online.
- Two readers (thanks, Brooklyn and Nichola) commented that arrowroot flour (also known as arrowroot powder or arrowroot starch) is a great substitute for tapioca flour/starch.
- FAQ: "My cheese sauce didn't turn out yellow. What did I do wrong...?" Answer: Some nutritional yeast brands enrich their products with lots of B-vitamins. The one I order from Amazon (it’s linked in the recipe) contains B-vitamins and the nutritional yeast flakes have a yellow color. When I use 3 tbsp the cheese sauce turns out pretty yellow like in the pics. When I use less (e.g. just 1 tbsp) the color is just light yellowish."