Easy vegan cheese sauce ready in 3 minutes!
This is probably the easiest vegan cheese sauce ever! It might change your life, it changed mine, I am not kidding. Coconut milk, tapioca flour, nutritional yeast flakes, water, and salt – these are the ingredients which you will need to make this easy vegan cheese sauce.
Since most people have water and salt at home, all you need to buy is coconut milk, tapioca flour, and nutritional yeast flakes. But maybe you already have these ingredients at home as well. So let’s start to make this easy recipe, it will be done in 3 minutes!
Only a few ingredients
I know there are tons of vegan cheese sauce recipes out there, but most of them contain cashews + many more ingredients and require a longer preparation time. My easy vegan cheese sauce contains only a handful of ingredients and is ready in 3 minutes.
You just need to put all the ingredients into a saucepan, bring the mixture to a boil and that’s it! You don’t even need a blender or food processor. No cooking of veggies, no soaking of cashews. It seriously couldn’t be easier than that.
Not only for vegans
This recipe is not only amazing for vegans. I served it also to vegetarians and meat eaters and everyone loved the taste AND texture of this easy vegan cheese sauce. The tapioca flour (which is also called tapioca starch) makes this recipe so special because it adds the amazing elasticity to the sauce. It makes the sauce stretchy and even reminds of real cheese. Nutritional yeast is an important ingredient for the taste because it adds a cheesy flavor. The spices are up to you, but I love to add some garlic and onion powder, and also a pinch of smoked paprika.
Perfect for nachos, pizza, gratin and more
You can use this easy vegan cheese sauce for any savory recipe which requires a cheese sauce. Whether it is pizza, nachos, gratin, pasta, or any other plant-based recipe. Sometimes when I am too lazy to make my mac and cheese I will just make this 3-minute cheese sauce and pour it over my cooked pasta and my dinner is served in just a few minutes. I have included some pictures of different vegan dishes which I made using the easy vegan cheese sauce.
This easy vegan cheese sauce is:
- Gluten free
- Easy to make in a few minutes
Make this easy vegan cheese sauce today
I made this vegan cheese sauce probably 100 times already because I use it in almost all of my savory recipes lol. I just love simple recipes which require only a few ingredients and this easy vegan cheese sauce recipe is one of them. So don’t wait any longer and make it NOW. I am sure you will love it as well.
Should you recreate my easy vegan cheese sauce, please leave a comment below and don’t forget to tag me in your Instagram or Facebook post with @elavegan and #elavegan because I love to see your recreations.
Easy vegan cheese sauce with minimal ingredients and ready in 3 minutes! A super simple and nut-free plant-based recipe which requires only a handful of ingredients. Perfect for pizza, nachos, mac and cheese, burgers, pasta bake, toast, and more savory recipes.
- 3/4 cup coconut milk canned (180 g) (*see recipe notes below)
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes (20 g)
- 2 tbsp tapioca flour OR arrowroot flour/starch (16 g) (*see recipe notes below)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp onion powder (optional)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder (optional)
- Pinch of smoked paprika (optional)
Put all ingredients into a saucepan, stir continuously with a whisk, and bring the mixture to a boil.
Let simmer on low to medium heat for about one minute until the sauce is stretchy
Enjoy your easy vegan cheese sauce!
- If the cheese sauce turns out too thick, just add more coconut milk, up to 1 cup.
- In case you don't like the taste of coconut milk, you can sub any plant-based cream instead, e.g. soy cream etc.
- Tapioca flour/starch can be bought in every Asia shop or big supermarkets or simply ordered online.
- Two readers (thanks, Brooklyn and Nichola) commented that arrowroot flour (also known as arrowroot powder or arrowroot starch) is a great substitute for tapioca flour/starch.
- FAQ: "My cheese sauce didn't turn out yellow. What did I do wrong...?" Answer: Some nutritional yeast brands enrich their products with lots of B-vitamins. The one I order from Amazon (it’s linked in the recipe) contains B-vitamins and the nutritional yeast flakes have a yellow color. When I use 3 tbsp the cheese sauce turns out pretty yellow like in the pics. When I use less (e.g. just 1 tbsp) the color is just light yellowish."