How to make crispy air fryer chickpeas in under 20 minutes. These crispy garbanzo beans are flavorful, super crunchy, and perfect for enjoying as a snack or part of several meals: salads, soups, and more! I have also included a method for roasted chickpeas.
Quick And Easy Crispy Chickpeas
Last week I posted these crunchy gluten-free, keto crackers. Well, if you’re in the mood for more versatile, simple snacks, then you’ll love these crispy chickpeas.
I love the versatility of chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans); whipped up into hummus, used to make a veggie quiche, hidden in these chickpea brownies, or enjoyed in simple ways – like with these deliciously spiced crispy chickpeas. They are tasty, flavorful, and cost-efficient to boot!
These roasted/ air fryer chickpeas are not only a delicious, high-protein snack; they also make for a great addition to several types of dishes. Not to mention that they are super versatile – mix and match the herbs and spices used to season the roasted garbanzo beans, and you’ll never get bored!
Within this post, I’ll take you through how to roast chickpeas in the oven AND how to make air-fried chickpeas. Air fryer chickpeas are simple to prepare and cooked in under 15 minutes (in practically a THIRD of the time they take in the oven). In comparison, the oven-roasted chickpeas can take between 35-45 minutes and aren’t always 100% uniformly crispy like the air-fried chickpeas. But they are still delicious and a great option for those without an air fryer.
All you need is just a can of chickpeas, some oil, salt, and your choice of seasonings!
- Chickpeas: I used canned chickpeas. However, you can also use cooked chickpeas (cooked from dry).
- Olive oil: Or another neutral cooking oil like avocado oil, canola, etc.
- Sea Salt: To season the chickpeas.
- Spices: I used a combination of onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, ground cumin, and curry powder. You could optionally add cayenne pepper for some heat.
- Optional: You could add a little brown sugar/ coconut sugar to the spice mix for extra flavor.
For the full ingredients list, measurements, complete recipe method, and nutritional information, read the recipe card below.
How To Roast Chickpeas
Step 1: Prepare The Ingredients
- In a small/medium bowl, combine all the spices and mix well. Then set aside.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas, patting them dry with a kitchen towel. If any skins fall off, discard them.
Make sure to dry them well so that they crisp up further in the air fryer/oven.
- Then, add the chickpeas to a bowl and toss with the olive oil and salt.
Step 2: Cook The Chickpeas
For Air Fryer Chickpeas:
- Transfer the chickpeas to the air fryer basket and set the timer for 15 minutes at 380 °F/195 °C. I didn’t preheat the air fryer.
- Allow the chickpeas to cook for 5 minutes, then shake the basket, repeat at 10 minutes too. Mine were wonderfully crunchy at 14 minutes – but you could leave them for a further minute for extra crispiness.
For Oven-Roasted Chickpeas:
- Preheat the oven to 375 °F/190 °C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Transfer the chickpeas to the baking sheet and roast them for between 35-45 minutes, flipping/shaking them halfway through.
The time can vary based on your oven and climate, so check on the baked chickpeas at 35 and increase as needed. They will crisp up further as they cool too.
Step 3: Toss Them With Spices
- Add the crispy chickpeas to the bowl you used to toss them with oil and spray with a little additional cooking spray (to help the spices adhere to the chickpeas). Then, add the spices and toss well to combine.
- Allow them to cool completely, then enjoy or transfer to a glass container (i.e., a jar).
How To Serve & Store
Storing: These crispy chickpeas taste the best when they are fresh. However, they can be stored in a jar for 2-3 days. Avoid keeping them in the fridge as it will ‘soften’ them.
If you do find them a little ‘soft’ after a couple of days, you could reheat them in the oven/ air fryer for some minutes to help them crisp up again. Be careful not to burn the seasoning though.
Serving: There are several ways to enjoy these fried/ baked chickpeas. Whether you’re wanting a low-effort snack or adding crunch to various meals. Here are some of my favorite ways to use them.
- As healthy high-protein chickpea snacks
- As part of a salad bowl- like this vegan Buddha bowl, brown rice salad, Hasselback potato lunch bowl, or Mexican avocado salad in place of croûtons, to add crunch.
- To top soups and dips – To add a crunch or as a lovely garnish. For example, vegan tortilla soup, vegan broccoli cheese soup, or hummus.
- Sprinkled over pasta/rice dishes – Like this easy lemon pasta, garlic butter pasta, or even this mushroom risotto.
- As part of a snack selection at parties/ events – alongside dips and small-bites – like these keto crackers, this spinach artichoke dip, or French onion dip.
- Within tacos & Fajitas – like these chickpea tacos, oven-baked spinach tacos, or oven-roasted vegetable fajitas.
- Or with vegan mashed potatoes and vegan gravy:
How can I keep the chickpeas crispy?
I’ve found that it’s best to only cover them loosely rather than in an air-tight container if you want crunchy chickpeas for longer. While they are still best within the first 2-3 days, you can keep the chickpeas for a few more days.
Can I freeze the roasted chickpeas?
No – they won’t retain their crispiness if frozen. Regardless of if you’re making air fryer chickpeas or oven-roasted, it’s better to make them fresh and eat within the suggested time frame.
Can I easily adjust the seasoning?
Yes – it’s one of the best things about these roasted chickpeas. The recipe is super versatile. Feel free to experiment with the herbs and spices used with the chickpeas. For example:
- Cheesy: Garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, and nutritional yeast.
- Simple: With salt and a single spice (i.e., garlic, paprika, etc.)
- Sweet: Combine sugar and cinnamon for a sweet version!
Recipe Notes & Variations
- For less crunchy chickpeas: Feel free to reduce the cooking time by a few minutes if you don’t want super crispy chickpeas – to use sprinkled over pasta and within tacos/wraps, etc.
- For extra crunchy chickpeas: Remove the chickpea skins after rinsing them.
- Don’t double the recipe! The air-fried chickpeas won’t cook the same if too many are added to the basket. Instead, just make a second batch after.
Other Chickpea Recipes
- Air Fryer Falafel
- Vegan Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- Broccoli & Chickpea Garlic Stir-Fry
- Chickpea Shakshuka
- Chickpea Taquitos
- Avocado Chickpea Pizza
- Vegan Chickpea Curry
If you give this air fryer chickpea recipe a try, I’d love a comment and ★★★★★ recipe rating below. Also, please don’t forget to tag me in re-creations on Instagram Or Facebook with @elavegan and #elavegan – I love seeing them.
Air Fryer / Roasted Chickpeas
- You can watch the video in the post for visual instructions.In a small/medium bowl combine all spices and stir with a spoon. Set aside.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas, then pat dry with a clean kitchen towel or paper towel. Some skins will fall off, and you can simply discard them. Add the chickpeas to a bowl and toss with the olive oil and salt.
Air fryer method:
- Transfer the chickpeas to the air fryer basket. Set the timer to 15 minutes and 380 °F (195 °C). I didn't preheat my air fryer.
- Cook for 5 minutes, shake the basket once, cook for a further 5 minutes and shake again. Mine were crunchy after 14 minutes, but you can leave them in for a further minute.
- Remove the chickpeas from the air fryer and add them to the bowl you used to toss them with oil. Spray with a little additional cooking spray (to help the spices adhere to the chickpeas). Then, add the spices and toss well to combine.
- Preheat the oven to 375 °F (190 °C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Transfer the chickpeas to the baking sheet. Roast them for 35 to 45 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Remove the chickpeas from the oven and add them to the bowl you used to toss them with oil. Spray with a little additional cooking spray, then, add the spices and toss well to combine.
- Enjoy! Store in a glass container (jar) at room temperature for a couple of days. They taste best freshly made.
- You can add a little brown sugar or coconut sugar to the spice mix for more flavor (optional).
- The chickpeas are even more crunchy if you remove the skins.
Nutrition information is an estimate and has been calculated automatically