Are you looking for a quick hearty dish which is easy to make? Then check out this flavorful and delicious vegan Shakshuka. It’s ready in 30 minutes and great as a main dish (lunch, dinner, breakfast) or as a side dish. Enjoy Shakshouka on its own or with bread (e.g. flatbread), rice or pasta.
What Is Shakshuka?
Shakshuka (also spelled Shakshouka or Chakchouka) is a savory dish of eggs poached in a flavorful smoky and spicy tomato sauce.
This tomato-based stew is popular in Middle Eastern regions, in North Africa and it’s a staple dish in Israel. You can have it for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Shakshuka Without Eggs
Since I am a vegan, I left out the eggs and added chickpeas and greens for healthy plant-based protein. Do you miss the flavor of eggs? I don’t (never really liked eggs) but if you do, don’t worry because there is a solution. It’s called “Kala Namak” or black salt and it has an eggy flavor.
I love this dish because it is:
- Vegan, spicy, flavorful, smoky
- Great as a weeknight dinner or lunch
- Pairs well with rice, flatbread, pita or even pasta
How To Make Vegan Shakshuka?
This dish is seriously very simple and can be made in one pot or pan! Check out the following step-by-step instruction photos and explanation below.
- Sautè onion and garlic in a pan.
- Add your favorite greens (see different options below).
- Add all spices. My favorite spices for Shakshuka are paprika, smoked paprika, cumin, oregano, black pepper, red pepper flakes, a pinch of black salt.
- Add chopped tomatoes and red pepper.
- Next, add the marinara sauce.
- Stir and let simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Then add chickpeas and plant-based cream.
- You can also add dollops of vegan cheese of choice but this step is optional.
Use Your Favorite Greens
I love to make this vegan Shakshuka with Tatsoi greens. However, you can also use the following greens:
- Choy Sum
- Or any leafy greens of choice
Vegan Shakshuka With Simple Ingredients
The recipe contains accessible wholesome and healthy ingredients which you might have already in your pantry/fridge such as:
- Onion, garlic
- Tomatoes, bell pepper
- Marinara sauce, tomato paste
- Plant-based cream
- Different spices
- Vegan cheese of choice (optional)
You can use soy cream, oat cream, coconut cream or any plant-based cream of choice to make this vegan Shakshuka rich and flavorful. You can also leave out the cream and use plant-based milk for a low-fat version, however, the dish will be more flavorful with the cream.
This Vegan Shakshuka Is:
- A quick 1-pot recipe
- Healthier than a regular Shakshuka with eggs
- Easy to make with simple ingredients
Should you recreate this healthy vegan Shakshuka recipe, please leave a comment below and don’t forget to tag me in your Instagram or Facebook post with @elavegan and #elavegan because I love to see your remakes and often share them in my Insta Stories!
If you like hearty stews, definitely also check out the following recipes which are all vegan and gluten-free:
- Vegan Gumbo
- 1-Pot Lentil Dal
- Easy Lentil Stew
- Instant Pot Sweet Potato Curry
- Chickpea Eggplant Curry
- Vegan Butter Chicken
- Best Lentil Soup
- Vegetable Curry With Coconut Milk
- 1/2 tbsp oil or vegetable broth
- 1 onion diced
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 3.5 oz greens of choice e.g. kale, spinach (100 g)
- 14 oz diced tomatoes (400 g)
- 11 oz marinara sauce (300 g)
- 1 red bell pepper (120 g)
- 3 heaped tbsp tomato paste (100 g)
- 1/4 cup plant-based cream (60 g)
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin or more to taste
- 3/4 tsp smoked paprika or more to taste
- 2 tsp maple syrup or sweetener of choice
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes or less if you don't like it spicy
- 15 oz can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of black salt (Kala Namak) (optional, see notes)
- vegan cheese of choice (optional)
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat and add diced onion. Sautè for about 4 minutes. Then add garlic and sautè for a further minute.
- Add the greens, cover and cook for about 1 minute until wilted down.
- Next add the diced tomatoes, pepper, marinara sauce, and tomato paste.
- Stir to combine, then add all spices, sweetener, and let simmer for about 10 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Add the plant-based cream, the chickpeas and turn off the heat after about 1-2 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. Add more salt/pepper/spices to taste.
- Finally, add dollops of vegan cheese (e.g. vegan cream cheese or vegan ricotta, feta, etc.) on top.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and red pepper flakes. Enjoy with bread/flatbread, rice or pasta!
- Black salt (also known as "Kala Namak" is high in sulfur and has an eggy flavor. If you want your vegan Shakshuka to taste like eggs, definitely add a pinch of it. You can buy it at most Indian grocery stores, or online.
- Recipe serves 4. Nutrition facts are for one serving.
If you are using Pinterest, feel free to pin the following photo: