Meatless vegetable fajitas with oven-roasted veggies such as peppers, onion, and cauliflower. This dish is flavorful, satisfying, healthy, plant-based, protein-rich, gluten-free, and easy to make. A great vegan dinner recipe that is perfect for families.
Hey, I hope you are as excited as I am about these delicious vegetarian fajitas with oven-roasted vegetables! As you know, I love Mexican food (well, rather Tex-Mex). Most of my Mexican inspired recipes are not “traditional” Mexican recipes though. Why? Because I always add my own twist which sometimes is not Mexican AT ALL, haha.
However, I want to share vegan recipes with you, which I enjoy most, and to me, it’s not important if they are “real”, “traditional” or whatever. They are yummy and that’s all that matters, right?
When my boyfriend came home with these beautiful peppers, I knew what I am going to make! Yummy veggie fajitas!
What are Fajitas?
I think it’s best if I quote Wikipedia here:
A fajita in Tex-Mex cuisine is any grilled meat that is served as a taco on a flour or corn tortilla. The term originally referred to skirt steak, the cut of beef first used in the dish. Popular meats today also include chicken and other cuts of beef, as well as vegetables instead of meat.
Of course, I didn’t use grilled meat since I am an ethical vegan. Some years ago I rescued two dairy-cows which now live on a farm of my friend and last year I rescued my pet chicken “Erna”. I prefer vegan fajitas with oven-roasted vegetables!
Why Oven Roasted Vegetable Fajitas?
- Roasting the vegetables brings out so much flavor. I just LOVE caramelized veggies.
- It’s easier to roast the veggies in the oven because they don’t require babysitting!
- Crispy edges! Do I have to say more?!
How To Make Vegetable Fajitas?
You are only a few steps away from enjoying flavorful sheet pan fajitas. These bad boys are seriously so easy to make. All you need is:
- Vegetables (peppers, cauliflower, onion) or use veggies of choice
- Fajita seasoning
- Black beans or use kidney beans
- A little oil
- Vegan cheese sauce (totally optional and not “traditional” at all, haha)
All ingredients, measurements, and nutrition facts (calories, etc.) can be found in the printable recipe card below.
STEP 1: Start by chopping the veggies and spread them on a baking sheet. Drizzle with some oil, toss with fajita seasoning and roast in the oven until nicely caramelized and tender.
STEP 2: It’s up to you if you prefer heating up the beans but I love to fry them for a few minutes in a skillet with a little balsamic vinegar, salt, and onion powder.
STEP 3: Make your own guacamole or use store-bought. I have a recipe for Oven Baked Potato Wedges with homemade Guacamole. Check it out if you want.
STEP 4: Finally, assemble your vegetable fajitas. Check the easy step-by-step photos below.
These vegetarian fajitas contain onion, peppers, and cauliflower. Why cauliflower? Isn’t very Mexican right?! Nope, it’s not but I love roasted cauliflower. The flavor and texture are amazing. However, you can vary this fajita recipe as per your liking and add different vegetables. Maybe you will like the following ones:
- Portobello mushrooms
- Vegan (dairy-free)
- Gluten-Free (if you use gluten-free tortillas)
- Oven-roasted for the best flavor
- Easy to make with simple ingredients
What To Serve With Fajitas?
I recommend flavorful Spanish Rice And Beans. Another delicious vegan side dish would be this Avocado Salad with an oil-free dressing. If you love Refried Beans, then you should definitely check out my easy recipe that can be made in an Instant Pot!
My Other Vegan Tex-Mex Recipes
- Homemade Gluten-Free Tortillas
- Lentil Enchiladas
- Breakfast Burritos
- Taco Cups
- Black Bean Quesadillas
- Spinach Quesadillas with Eggplant
Should you make these delicious vegetable fajitas, please leave a comment below and don’t forget to tag me in your Instagram or Facebook post with @elavegan and #elavegan because I love to see your remakes! Do you want to see how easy it is to make veggie fajitas? Watch the video below. 🙂
Oven Roasted Vegetable Fajitas
- 1 head of a small cauliflower
- 2 red peppers sliced
- 2 orange peppers sliced
- 1 medium/large onion sliced
- This recipe has a video for easy instructions (see below).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius).
- Chop the cauliflower into small florets (the smaller the pieces, the faster they will cook), slice the peppers and onion into medium-thick slices/strips and spread the vegetables into an even layer on a baking sheet (lined with parchment paper).
- Drizzle with 1-2 tbsp oil and add all spices. Toss with your hands and roast the veggies in the oven for about 20-25 minutes until nicely browned and caramelized. Toss halfway. To warm the tortillas, pop them into the oven (wrapped in aluminium foil) for the remaining 10 minutes.
- Heat the beans in a pan with the balsamic vinegar, a pinch of salt and onion powder.
- To assemble fajitas: Top the tortillas with the roasted veggies, black beans, guacamole, and vegan cheese sauce (optional). Garnish with fresh greens and add some hot sauce on top (optional). Enjoy!
- Recipe serves 6. Nutrition facts are for one serving calculated with corn tortillas, and 6 tbsp of guacamole.
Nutrition information is an estimate and has been calculated automatically
If you are using Pinterest, feel free to pin the following photo: