Homemade spinach tortillas | healthy recipe
I love homemade tortillas and make them so often for all kind of dishes like soft tacos, burritos, quesadillas or enchiladas. Last year I came up with an amazingly simple recipe which is one of the most popular recipes on my blog. It has been remade by so many people who found my recipe via Instagram, Pinterest, and Google. To make it even healthier, I added a good amount of spinach which not only adds a lovely green color but also many minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants. Are you curious to try out my homemade spinach tortillas?
Gluten-free, grain-free, wheat-free, corn-free, vegan
I use chickpea flour and tapioca flour to make these healthy spinach tortillas. This flour combination is absolutely amazing and the tortillas always turn out great. They never stick to my pan, they never burst, they can be rolled and folded beautifully and they are allergy-friendly (wheat-free, corn-free). They are furthermore protein-rich (because of the chickpea flour) and grain-free.
Great for kids
We all know how healthy spinach is. It contains vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and phytonutrients. Kids normally don’t like greens (I mean I get it, I didn’t like greens too when I was a kid). Adding spinach to these tortillas is pretty much tasteless! Especially if you fill the wraps with other ingredients like veggies, rice, vegan cheese etc. I seriously don’t taste the spinach at all. And if you should taste it, then simply use less spinach next time when you make these spinach tortillas. With time you can add more spinach and this will help to incorporate more greens into your own diet and your kid’s diet.
Here are some examples which kind of wraps you can make:
Ready in 20 minutes
It takes only 5 minutes to prepare the batter, as you just have to mix chickpea flour (also called garbanzo bean flour) with tapioca flour/starch, fresh spinach, water, and salt to taste. I simply put all ingredients in my food processor or blender and mix until the batter is smooth. Then pour some of the batter in a skillet and cook each tortilla for 2-3 minutes. The batter never sticks to my pan (I use a non-stick skillet) and I have made this recipe at least 100 times (not kidding).
These spinach tortillas are:
- Rich in protein
- Easy to make with 3 ingredients (water and salt not counted)
- Perfect to make soft tacos, burritos, quesadillas or enchiladas
If you recreate my gluten-free spinach tortillas, please leave a comment below and don’t forget to tag me in your Instagram or Facebook post with @elavegan and #elavegan because I love to see your recreations.
Healthy spinach tortillas
- Process all ingredients in your food processor or blender until the batter is smooth. Use 1 cup of water if you plan to make thicker/smaller tortillas for tacos. Add about 1 1/8 cup of water if you want to make thinner/bigger tortillas for e.g. burritos.
- Pour about 1/3 cup of the batter into a non-stick skillet. You can add a few drops of oil to the skillet but I made the experience that the tortillas turn out great without oil. Make sure to use a non-stick skillet.
- Cook for two minutes on low-medium heat, flip the tortilla and cook on the other side for about one minute. Enjoy your healthy spinach tortillas!
- The recipe makes about 6-7 tortillas (1/3 cup of batter each).
- Nutrition facts are for one serving.
If you are using Pinterest, feel free to pin the following photo: