Healthy vegan Mac and Cheese
I have been trying out different vegan Mac ‘n Cheese recipes but I was never really satisfied. So I experimented a lot in the kitchen and came up with this healthy vegan Mac and Cheese which I have been making a couple of times lately because it tastes so yummy. Regular Mac and Cheese contains cheese, butter, milk, a little bit flour, and spices. It may taste great (after all who doesn’t love cheese) but it’s not very healthy…
My healthy vegan Mac and Cheese recipe contains veggies (potato, carrot, onion), cashews, plant-milk, vegetable broth, spices, and nutritional yeast flakes. It doesn’t taste like regular Mac and Cheese but it’s delicious. Vegan meals don’t need to taste like the “original” in my opinion, but they can still be yummy and most of the time they are much healthier.
“I could never give up cheese”
I have been vegetarian for 25 years and became vegan in 2011. Why have I been vegetarian for so long? Well, I always loved cheese, I was actually addicted to it (google “casomorphin” to find out why many people are addicted to cheese). I remember saying “I could never go vegan, never ever could I give up cheese”. After making the ethical connection I couldn’t imagine going back to eating dairy and other animal products.
This recipe is so easy to make and ready in less than 30 minutes. You just need to boil the potato and carrot, then throw all the ingredients for the healthy vegan Mac and Cheese in your food processor or blender and mix well. The last step is to heat up the sauce in a pan and add your pasta. To make this recipe paleo-friendly and low-carb, simply use zucchinis instead of regular pasta.
It works best if you use a spiralizer to make zucchini noodles (zoodles). But if you don’t have a spiralizer or don’t want to buy one, you could also use a regular peeler and make zucchini ribbons. Both work pretty well and tastes great in combination with my healthy vegan Mac and Cheese.
If you are not a fan of zucchinis and love pasta, then definitely use your favorite pasta of choice (I use gluten-free pasta). I would say macaroni are most common for Mac and cheese (obviously).
This vegan Mac and Cheese is:
- Gluten free
- Easy to make
Pick your favorite veggies
I love to make this healthy vegan Mac and Cheese recipe with a potato and carrot because it makes the sauce creamy and flavorful. However, you could also use a sweet potato instead of a regular potato (and leave out the carrot if you don’t like carrots). Or why don’t you add some pumpkin instead, I am sure it will taste amazing as well.
Do you love easy to make pasta sauces? If yes, definitely also check out my VEGAN SPINACH PASTA SAUCE
Should you recreate my Mac and Cheese recipe, please leave a comment below and don’t forget to tag me in your Instagram or Facebook post with @elavegan and #elavegan because I love to see your recreations.
Healthy vegan Mac and Cheese
Healthy vegan mac and cheese ingredients:
- 1 big potato peeled (200 g)
- 1 small carrot peeled (100 g)
- 1/2 cup cashews (75 g)
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk of choice (I use canned coconut milk)
- 1/3-1/2 cup vegetable broth (or use more plant-based milk instead)
- 1/2 onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 3-4 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 1/2 tbsp tapioca flour (optional) *see recipe notes
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice or lime juice
- 1/2-3/4 tsp sea salt (or to taste)
- 1/3 tsp black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- crushed pepper flakes (optional)
- 350 g Pasta of choice (I use gluten-free) or zoodles (3-4 spiralized zucchinis)
- Soak cashews in hot water for at least 15 minutes until they are soft.
- Cut the potato and carrot into 1-inch cubes and cook in salted water for about 10-15 minutes or until tender (discard the water afterwards).
- Boil your favorite pasta as per the instructions on the packaging or use a spiralizer to spiralize your zucchinis.
- Add all the healthy vegan Mac and Cheese ingredients into your food processor or blender and mix well.
- Pour the sauce into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Let it simmer for about 1-2 minutes, stir constantly.
- Add your pasta or zoodles and serve immediately. Enjoy!
If you are using Pinterest, feel free to pin the following photo: