This healthy vegan Mac and Cheese recipe is easy to make and contains only plant-based whole food ingredients. Serve this Mac ‘n Cheese with regular pasta, gluten-free pasta or zucchini noodles (zoodles) if you prefer a paleo version.
Mac and Cheese Made Vegan & Healthy
I have been trying out different vegan Mac ‘n Cheese recipes but I was never really satisfied. So I experimented a lot in the kitchen and came up with this healthy vegan Mac and Cheese which I have been making a couple of times lately because it tastes so yummy. Regular Mac and Cheese contains cheese, butter, milk, a little bit flour, and spices. It may taste great (after all who doesn’t love cheese) but it’s not very healthy…
Healthy Vegan Mac And Cheese Ingredients
This best vegan Mac and Cheese recipe contains healthy veggies (potato, carrot, onion), cashews, plant-based milk, vegetable broth, spices, and nutritional yeast flakes. It doesn’t taste like regular Mac and Cheese but it’s very delicious. Vegan meals don’t need to taste like the “original” in my opinion, but they can still be yummy and most of the time they are much healthier.
“I Could Never Give Up Cheese”
I have been vegetarian for 33 years and became vegan in 2011. Why have I been vegetarian for so long? Well, I always loved cheese, I was actually addicted to it (google “casomorphin” to find out why many people are addicted to cheese). I remember saying “I could never go vegan…. never ever could I give up cheese“. After making the ethical connection I couldn’t imagine going back to eating dairy and other animal products.
How To Make Vegan Mac And Cheese?
This recipe is so easy to make and ready in less than 30 minutes. You just need to boil the potato and carrot, then throw all the ingredients for the healthy vegan Mac and Cheese in your food processor or blender and mix well. The last step is to heat up the sauce in a pan and add your pasta. To make this recipe paleo-friendly and low-carb, simply use zucchinis instead of regular pasta.
It works best if you use a spiralizer to make zucchini noodles (zoodles). But if you don’t have a spiralizer or don’t want to buy one, you could also use a regular peeler and make zucchini ribbons. Both work pretty well and tastes great in combination with this vegan Mac and Cheese.
If you are not a fan of zucchinis and love pasta, then definitely use your favorite pasta of choice (I use gluten-free pasta). I would say macaroni are most common for Mac and cheese (obviously).
This Best Vegan Mac And Cheese Sauce Is:
- Easy to make
- Do you want a vegan cheese sauce without cashews? Try my Easy Vegan Cheese Sauce Recipe which can be made in 3 minutes (perfect when you are busy).
- Use sweet potato instead of a regular potato for a variation. Another possibility would be to use pumpkin for a delicious Pumpkin Mac and Cheese.
- Add some greens to make this vegan dish even healthier. Some examples would be broccoli, spinach or kale.
Should you recreate this recipe, please leave a comment below and don’t forget to tag me in your Instagram or Facebook post with @elavegan and #elavegan because I love to see your remakes. Do you love easy to make pasta sauces? If yes, definitely also check out my VEGAN SPINACH PASTA SAUCE!
Healthy vegan Mac and Cheese
Healthy vegan mac and cheese ingredients:
- 1 big potato peeled (200 g)
- 1 small carrot peeled (100 g)
- 1/2 cup cashews (75 g)
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk of choice (I used canned coconut milk)
- 1/3-1/2 cup vegetable broth (or use more plant-based milk instead)
- 1/2 small onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 1/2 tbsp tapioca flour (optional) *see recipe notes
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice or lime juice
- 1/2-3/4 tsp sea salt (or to taste)
- 1/3 tsp black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- crushed pepper flakes (optional)
- 350 g Pasta of choice (I use gluten-free) or zoodles (3-4 spiralized zucchinis)
- Soak cashews in hot water for at least 15 minutes until they are soft.
- Cut the potato and carrot into 1-inch cubes and cook in salted water for about 10-15 minutes or until tender (discard the water afterward).
- Boil your favorite pasta as per the instructions on the packaging or use a spiralizer to spiralize your zucchinis.
- Pour the sauce into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Let it simmer for about 1-2 minutes, stir constantly.
- Add your pasta or zoodles and serve immediately. Enjoy!
- You can leave out the tapioca flour/starch but it will make the Mac and Cheese a little bit thicker and "stretchy" similar to "real" cheese.
- Recipe serves 4. Nutrition facts are for one serving including pasta!
If you are using Pinterest, feel free to pin the following photo: