Gluten-free vegan sweet potato brownies
Do you also love brownies? But do you fear they might be unhealthy, high in sugar and fat? Don’t worry, because I am going to present you these healthy gluten-free vegan sweet potato brownies. They are fudgy, moist, rich, gooey, chocolatey and delicious. Sounds interesting to you? If yes, continue reading.
These brownies are also….
- dairy free
- egg free
- paleo friendly
- refined sugar-free
- low in fat
- nut free
They are furthermore healthy as they contain sweet potatoes as the main ingredient! Yes sweet potatoes, white ones to be exact. If you can only find orange sweet potatoes where you live, you need to add a little bit more flour, otherwise, they will end up too moist, since the white sweet potatoes are more starchy. But don’t worry they will still taste amazing!
Vegan sweet potato brownies with a yummy chocolate sauce
You can use sunflower seeds or other seeds/ground nuts instead of hemp seeds. I love the flavor of hemp seeds though, furthermore, they are very healthy, rich in protein and omega 3 fatty acids. Top these fudgy brownies with a chocolate sauce made from peanut flour, cocoa powder, maple syrup and water and you end up with a heavenly chocolate spread. Find the exact recipe for the chocolate sauce here or here.
I must admit that the brownie batter was a little bit sticky due to the sweet potatoes BUT I would still make this recipe over and over again since the result was extremely delicious.
These vegan sweet potato brownies are popular
You might have seen these vegan sweet potato brownies before because I posted them already twice on my Instagram account @elavegan and people went totally crazy about them. They were reposted on big accounts like @beautifulcuisines and @vegancommunity and I was even tagged in numerous remakes. Everyone enjoyed my recipe, let me know if you also give it a try. If you are looking for a protein-rich brownie recipe, which is also vegan and gluten-free, then check out my best vegan brownies.
These vegan sweet potato brownies are low in fat, delicious and healthy
- 2 medium boiled white sweet potatoes (450 g)
- 2 small bananas (200 g)
- 2/3 cup xylitol (use coconut sugar for paleo version) (150 g)
- 1 1/2 cup oat flour GF (use almond flour for paleo version) (130 g)
- 1/2 cup plant milk - e.g. almond, soy, coconut (120 ml)
- 7-8 tbsp cocoa powder (or cacao powder) (50 g)
- 5 tbsp hemp seeds OR sunflower seeds (50 g)
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Process the xylitol (or coconut sugar) in a coffee grinder or food processor until it becomes a fine powder. Repeat this step with the hemp seeds
- Put all ingredients in your food processor and blend until you have a smooth batter
- Pour in your brownie mold (I used a silicone mold 8.5" x 4" resp. 21.5 cm x 10 cm)
- Bake in the oven at 350 degrees F / 180 degrees C for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out almost clean (should not be sticky but also not too dry)
Let it cool for 20-30 minutes. Top these fudgy brownies with a vegan chocolate sauce. You can find the exact recipe here PS: The brownies are even better on day 2!
The recipe makes at least 8 thick brownies like seen in the pictures (depends on the mold you use and how you cut them). Nutrition facts are for one brownie
If you are using Pinterest, feel free to pin the following photo: