Oat breakfast bars with bananas and chocolate
Do you sometimes think: “What could I have for breakfast today… how nice would it be to grab some oat breakfast bars which are already sitting in the fridge and waiting for me to be eaten?!” Well, then look no further, because these easy to make oat chocolate banana crumble bars are great for breakfast. They can be stored in the fridge for about 5-7 days, so make them on a Sunday, and enjoy them during the next week.
We all want a fast but healthy breakfast and it can be boring to eat oatmeal every morning. That’s why I came up with the idea to create these healthy oat breakfast bars. They contain mainly oats and bananas but I couldn’t resist adding a delicious chocolate layer. But wait, the chocolate layer also contains only healthy ingredients, including bananas and dates!
And I added some crumble on top because who doesn’t love crumble?! Well, I do, and I always eat the crumble first, because it’s the best, right. These oat breakfast bars are vegan, gluten-free, refined sugar-free and easy to make.
Ingredients of my oat breakfast bars
Like mentioned before, the main ingredients are oats and bananas. You can use regular rolled oats or instant oats (both work well), and if you have celiac disease then definitely use gluten-free oats. If you don’t like bananas then this recipe probably isn’t for you because it contains 4 bananas.
I also added almond flour, however, if you can’t eat almonds, then you could use dried, shredded coconut instead. For the liquid sweetener, you can choose between maple syrup and rice syrup or any other liquid sweetener of choice.
The chocolate layer contains bananas, dates, peanut butter, cocoa powder, vanilla extract and that’s basically it. Pretty easy right?! If you are allergic to peanuts then you could use any other nut butter (coconut butter, almond butter, cashew butter etc) or seed butter (sunflower seed butter etc).
My oat breakfast bars are:
- Refined sugar-free
- Easy to make
Great for work/uni/school
These oat breakfast bars are perfect to take with you to work, uni or school. They are a great snack on the go or can be enjoyed as a dessert. If you are looking for another “snack on the go” recipe idea, then also check out my healthy granola bars.
Please leave a comment below if you make these oat breakfast bars. You can also make a photo of it and post it on Instagram (or send me a DM). If you tag me in the caption + photo with @elavegan and use the hashtag #elavegan I will gladly check out your post and leave a comment.
Oat breakfast bars
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C (355 degrees F)
- Process all the ingredients for the dough in a food processor
- Press 3/4 of the dough into a lined 7x7 inch pan. You can use a bigger pan, however, the bars will be less thick
- To make the chocolate layer simply process all ingredients in your food processor until the mixture is creamy
- Pour the chocolate layer onto the dough
- Crumble the remaining 1/4 dough onto the chocolate layer
- Bake in the oven for about 25-30 minutes and let cool completely before you cut into 6-8 bars
- Drizzle some icing, chocolate cream or peanut butter on top (optional) and enjoy your oat breakfast bars! Store leftovers in the fridge.