These vegan cheesecake brownies are so moist, chocolatey and fudgy. They are the perfect treat if you love chocolate and cheesecake! The recipe is plant-based (egg-free, dairy-free), gluten-free, yummy, and easy to make!
Cheesecake Brownies aka Vegan Foodporn!
“Vegans eat only grass…” Well, I wouldn’t say that these vegan cheesecake brownies look like grass lol. Actually, I am not even sure if I should post these foodporn pics here. I mean, some people might think that I’m not vegan anymore…
Or do these brownies look like a vegan dessert to you? Anyway, I can assure you that they are vegan AND gluten-free. So, yeah, let’s have a deeper look at them.
After posting the recipes for my Sweet Potato Brownies my Best Vegan Brownies, and my Healthy No-Bake Brownies I decided to make these vegan cheesecake brownies. After all, I am just a girl who loves chocolate and cheesecake, so I thought “I am gonna combine both”.
And I think it was a pretty good idea. They are fudgy, gooey, chocolatey, and delicious.
No Black Beans
I’ve made many different brownie recipes before (e.g. with black beans) and most of them were a success. However, only the best recipes made it to my blog. For example, my Best Vegan Brownies which contain peas. I also made brownies with eggplant but they were rather a fail, haha.
This time I thought I will leave out the legumes and other “exotic ingredients” and see if the brownies can still be fudgy and moist. And yes, they do.
For the cheesecake layer, I’ve used silken tofu and a few other ingredients. I cannot buy vegan cream cheese where I live, however, after checking out the ingredient list of some vegan cream cheese brands online, I am pretty sure you can use that instead. Just leave out the coconut oil and the result should be the same!
These Vegan Cheesecake Brownies Are:
- Easy to make
- And they can be made refined sugar-free
- And also nut-free
I didn’t add a chocolate glaze this time because the cheesecake brownies turned out moist and fudgy. But if you want to add even more chocolate, simply check out my other brownie recipes (which I linked above) where I share the recipe for a chocolate glaze.
How To Store
These vegan cheesecake brownies are really easy to make and leftovers can be stored in the fridge and enjoyed for breakfast. They taste even better on day 2 or 3 (if you have so much self-control lol).
If you try out this yummy recipe, please leave a comment below and tag me with @elavegan and #elavegan on Instagram and/or Facebook.
Vegan Cheesecake Brownies
- 3/4 cup rice flour (120 g) (*see notes)
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour or cornstarch (30 g)
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flax seeds + 5 tbsp water) (*see notes)
- 3/4 cup sugar (e.g. coconut sugar, brown sugar, xylitol) (150 g)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (50 g)
- 1/3 cup nut/seed butter of choice (80 g)
- 2/3 cup plant-based milk (160 ml) (*see recipe notes)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- One 12.3 oz package silken tofu firm (350 g) (*see recipe notes)
- 4-5 tbsp sugar (e.g. xylitol, regular sugar) (50 g)
- 2 tbsp cornstarch or potato starch
- 2 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil (e.g. coconut oil) or vegan butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3-4 tbsp lemon juice or lime juice (optional) for a "cheesecake taste"
- To make the flax eggs (or chia eggs), put 2 tbsp ground flax seeds (or chia seeds) into a small bowl, add 5 tbsp water and mix with a whisk. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 360°F (180°C) and line a 7x7 inch or 8x8 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Add all ingredients for the chocolate layer into a big bowl and mix well with an electric hand mixer until combined.
- For the cheesecake layer: Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender or food processor until smooth and creamy.
- Use 2 different tablespoons to dollop the brownie batter and the cheesecake batter into the pan.
- Bake in the oven for about 30-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out almost clean (not wet but not dry either). So test the center after 30 minutes, then after 35 minutes etc. Do NOT overbake the brownies! I have a gas oven and it took about 40 minutes until they turned out perfect. But they might be done after only 35 minutes or even less with a different oven (and with a larger baking pan). So pay close attention.
- Let cool completely before you cut it into bars. The vegan cheesecake brownies taste best on the second day so don't eat them all on the first day.
- Rice flour can be most likely replaced with either sorghum flour or with all-purpose flour. If you use all-purpose flour I would suggest to leave out the tapioca flour.
- You can use ground chia seeds instead of flax seeds.
- Any plant-based milk like almond milk, oat milk, coconut milk etc is fine.
- You could try using a vegan cream cheese (which is not soy-based) instead of silken tofu (if you cannot eat soy products). I would leave out the oil/vegan butter if you use vegan cream cheese. Don't omit the cornstarch though.
- Please note that the cheesecake layer isn't very sweet. If you prefer it sweeter, simply add more sugar. I would suggest to taste the batter before you spoon it into the pan. 🙂
- Nutrition facts are for one (out of 9) brownies.
IF YOU ARE USING PINTEREST, FEEL FREE TO PIN THE FOLLOWING PHOTO: