Easy Tortilla Bowls with lentils and veggies
These homemade baked tortilla bowls with lentils are really awesome. They are super easy and quick to make, in about 25 minutes, and the recipe is vegan, gluten-free and delicious! You can fill them as you like, there are literally no limits.
I prefer to make these easy taco cups for dinner and I love to fill them with lentils, peppers, tomatoes, onion, garlic, and my vegan cheese sauce. But they are also great for lunch because you can also fill them with salad! Especially on days when you want to eat something light throughout the day, these burrito tortilla bowls are perfect.
Taco Cups = Party Snack
They are also a great party snack! Your guests will be impressed by this fun idea. The best thing is that your dishes will stay clean since these homemade taco cups are the perfect plate replacement. Edible bowls which are delicious?! Yes, please!
For this recipe, you’ll only need tortillas, lentils (you can also use cooked beans), vegan cheese, and veggies of choice. You can use store-bought tortillas such as wheat tortillas or corn tortillas. However, you can also make your own homemade tortillas and I actually recommend my gluten-free tortillas recipe.
Like mentioned before, you can vary the filling as per your liking. For example, if you don’t like lentils, simply use something different. Kidney beans, black beans or chickpeas would be amazing as well. I used my easy vegan cheese sauce since I love it so much but you could also use store-bought vegan cheese, queso or even vegan sour cream.
These homemade tortilla bowls are:
- Super easy to make
- Ready in less than 30 minutes
- A great party snack
How to make these easy tortilla bowls
These crispy vegan taco cups are seriously so easy to make. You just need a few tortillas, which you put in heat-resistant bowls (porcelain bowls, for example). You then put them in the oven for about 15 minutes at 390 degrees Fahrenheit and let them cool afterward. Then you add the filling and that’s it. Easy right?!
If you make this delicious dish and maybe even take a photo of it, then I would love to see it. You can DM it to me on Instagram. Don’t forget to tag me in your Insta caption + photo with @elavegan and use the hashtag #elavegan and I will gladly check out your post.
Homemade Taco Cups
- 6 tortillas (regular or gluten-free) about 15 cm in diameter
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 3 cups lentils cooked (*see recipe notes)
- 1 cup bell pepper chopped (color of your choice)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes chopped
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (gluten-free if necessary)
- 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup almond milk or cream
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- Vegan cheese sauce or cheese of choice (to taste)
- Put tortillas in heat-resistant bowls and bake them in the oven at 390° Fahrenheit for about 15 minutes until they are lightly browned.
- The taco cups will firm up after they cooled down.
- In the meantime, chop the vegetables. Heat oil in a frying pan, add the onion and fry for about 1-2 minutes. Add garlic and bell pepper and fry over medium heat for about 3-5 minutes.
- Add all the other ingredients (except cheese sauce) and fry for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Put the filling into the taco cups, add vegan cheese sauce and fresh herbs (optional) on top. You can reheat the taco cups in the oven. Enjoy!
- You can also use cooked beans instead of lentils. 1 1/4 cup of dried lentil will yield about 3 cups cooked lentils.