Tortilla Bowls with Mexican stuffing
These homemade baked tortilla bowls are really awesome. They are super easy and quick to make, in about 20 minutes, and the recipe is vegan, gluten-free and delicious! You can fill them as you like, there are literally no limits.
I prefer to make these vegan taco cups for dinner and I love to fill them with rice, peppers, tomatoes, avocado, onion, garlic, corn, black beans, and my vegan cheese sauce. But they are also great for lunch because you can also fill them with salad! Especially on days when you want to eat something light throughout the day, these burrito tortilla bowls are perfect.
Taco Cups = Party Snack
They are also a great party snack! Your guests will be impressed by this fun idea. The best thing is that your dishes will stay clean since these homemade taco cups are the perfect plate replacement. Edible bowls which are delicious?! Yes, please!
For this recipe, you’ll only need tortillas, rice, avocado, black beans, corn, vegan cheese, and veggies of choice. You can use store-bought tortillas such as wheat tortillas or corn tortillas. However, you can also make your own homemade tortillas and I actually recommend my gluten-free tortillas recipe.
Like mentioned before, you can vary the filling as per your liking. For example, if you don’t like black beans, simply use something different. Kidney beans or chickpeas would be amazing as well. I used my easy vegan cheese sauce since I love it so much but you could also use store-bought vegan cheese, queso or even vegan sour cream.
These homemade tortilla bowls are:
- Super easy to make
- Done in 20 minutes
- A great party snack
How to make homemade tortilla bowls / taco cups
These crispy vegan tortilla bowls are seriously so easy to make. You just need a few tortillas, which you put in heat-resistant bowls (porcelain bowls, for example). You then place them in the oven for about 10 to 13 minutes at 390 degrees Fahrenheit and let them cool afterward. Then you add the filling and that’s it. Easy right?!
If you make this delicious dish and maybe even take a photo of it, then I would love to see it. You can DM it to me on Instagram. Don’t forget to tag me in your Insta caption + photo with @elavegan and use the hashtag #elavegan and I will gladly check out your post.
These homemade tortilla bowls / taco cups are easy to make and great for lunch, dinner or as a party snack! The recipe is vegan, gluten-free and yummy!
- 6 tortillas (regular or gluten-free)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 bell pepper (color of your choice)
- 1 can of black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 cup of corn
- 2 small to medium sized tomatoes
- 2 cups of cooked rice
- 1 avocado
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (gluten-free if necessary)
- Vegan cheese sauce to taste
- Spice mixture: 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1/2 tsp smoked paprika, 1 tsp Italian spice mixture, 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to taste
Cook rice as per the instructions on the package. For this recipe, you will need about 2 cups of cooked rice.
- Put tortillas in heat-resistant bowls and place them in the oven at 390° Fahrenheit for 10 to 13 minutes until they are lightly browned. Allow to cool afterward.
- In the meantime, chop the vegetables. Heat oil in a frying pan, add the onion and fry for about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and bell pepper and fry over medium heat for about 3-5 minutes.
- Add all the other ingredients (except the avocado and the cheese sauce) and fry for a further 3-4 minutes.
Put the stuffing into the tortilla bowls, add chunks of avocado and vegan cheese sauce on top. Enjoy!