Flavorful coconut turmeric rice which can be prepared in one pot! This easy golden rice recipe is perfect for a weeknight dinner as the preparation takes only 15 minutes. If you like rice, you will love this healthy vegan side dish. It can be easily made oil-free, and it’s naturally gluten-free.
Turmeric Coconut Rice
How amazing is rice?! Seriously, I love it! Of course, I also like potatoes and pasta, but rice is a staple food which I enjoy at least 3-4 times a week! Plain white rice doesn’t have a good reputation, and it certainly is better to eat brown rice or wild rice.
I still think white rice is “healthier” than pasta, and it won’t make you fat (at least I don’t gain weight even though I eat a lot of rice). For this recipe, I used brown rice.
I love to prepare rice with turmeric and coconut milk. It’s so flavorful, hearty, satisfying, and furthermore healthy. Why should you give this recipe a try? Because it’s…
- Packed with lots of flavors
- A great weeknight dinner that is healthy
- Easy to make with simple ingredients
How To Make The Best Turmeric Rice?
This recipe has only a few steps that are very easy to follow.
- First, you need to chop and measure all ingredients. In a large pot with a little oil (e.g. olive oil or coconut oil) add onion and garlic, fresh ginger, leek, fresh turmeric, and all spices.
- Fry over medium heat for a few minutes. I bet you will love the beautiful scent in your kitchen!
- Add the carrot, coconut milk, vegetable broth, and brown rice (you can use Jasmine rice or Basmati rice). Cover and bring to a boil. Cook on a low simmer for 45 minutes. Then turn off the heat and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Fluff the cooked rice with a fork, taste, and adjust seasoning. And that’s it!
Turmeric Is Healthy
Did you know how healthy turmeric is? It contains curcumin, which has powerful anti-inflammatory properties. It’s furthermore an anti-oxidant and can cure so many ailments. Studies have shown that curcumin can prevent cancer and lower your risk of heart disease!
It may be useful in preventing and even treating Alzheimer’s disease. But it has so many other amazing effects. To read more about the health benefits of turmeric and curcumin, check out this page.
You should always consume turmeric with a pinch of black pepper because black pepper contains a substance called piperine which helps with the absorption of curcumin.
But turmeric can even more! Not only can it cure and prevent many diseases, but it can also make us more beautiful. It can help with hair loss, acne scarring, and it contributes to a natural glow! You can even brush your teeth with turmeric powder, which can make them whiter. I make a smoothie with fresh turmeric almost daily!
Did you make any positive experiences with turmeric? Let me know in the comments, I would love to hear your stories. 🙂
Easy 1-Pot Recipe
You only need one pot for this recipe, which makes it really convenient because it saves dishes! I haven’t tried making this healthy rice dish in a crockpot yet, but I am sure it should work pretty well in a slow cooker. Please report back if you give it a try. I will probably make it soon in my Instant Pot or rice cooker, which should reduce the cooking time!
How To Serve Golden Turmeric Rice?
You can serve this yellow/golden rice with flavorful fried veggies. Need a recipe? Check out my Easy Ratatouille. Another option would be to serve this turmeric rice with mushrooms, such as my vegan Mushroom Stroganoff, which has such a creamy sauce. Recently I served it also with Stuffed Potato Cakes! As you can see, there are so many possibilities, and it never gets boring!
How to store?
Leftovers can be stored covered in the fridge for up to 4 days. Simply reheat in a pot or skillet.
You Will Love This Coconut Turmeric Rice Because It’s:
- Easy stove top recipe with simple ingredients
- Perfect for a weeknight dinner
- And it can be made oil-free
Tips For This Recipe
- Serve it with fried veggies of choice.
- Double the batch and store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days
- Add some fried tofu for a protein-rich variation
Should you recreate this easy golden rice recipe, please leave a comment below, and don’t forget to tag me in your Instagram or Facebook post with @elavegan and #elavegan because I love to see your remakes! If you love hearty dishes which can be served with rice, definitely also check out the following vegan recipes:
- 1-Pot Lentil Dal
- Vegan Chickpea Curry with Eggplant
- Vegetable Curry with Pineapple
- Vegan Butter Chicken
- Kung Pao Cauliflower
- 2 cups (370 g) uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 tbsp oil or use water if oil-free
- 1 small/medium onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger minced
- 1 tbsp fresh turmeric minced (optional)
- 1 stalk of (65 g) leeks chopped
- 1 tsp ground turmeric use 1 1/2 tsp if you don't use fresh
- 1/4 tsp black pepper or more to taste
- Sea salt to taste, (I used 1 1/2 tsp)
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- Cayenne pepper to taste (optional)
- 1 medium carrot diced
- 1 cup (240 ml) coconut milk canned
- 2 3/4 cups (660 ml) vegetable broth
- Fresh herbs for garnish
- You can watch the video in the post for visual instructions.Add the brown rice to a bowl and cover with water. Let sit for about 10-15 minutes, or until you have chopped the veggies. Then drain.
- Heat oil (or use water if oil-free) in a large pot. Add onion and fry over medium heat for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add fresh ginger, garlic, leek, fresh turmeric, and all spices. Fry for a further minute.
- Add carrot, coconut milk, vegetable broth, and drained rice. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Cook on a low simmer for 45 minutes, then turn off the heat. Let sit for a further 5-10 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
Nutrition information is an estimate and has been calculated automatically