A delicious homemade Mexican Pizza recipe which is easy to make and healthy! This loaded vegetarian pizza is topped with refried beans, onion, corn, peppers, jalapeño, and vegan cheese. It can be made with a (gluten-free) pizza crust or with flour tortillas!
Vegan Mexican Pizza Recipe
Weekends are screaming for pizza and I thought why not try something new! You guys know I love pizza and I have tried all different kind of pizzas, such as chickpea avocado pizza, mushroom pizza, spinach pizza, pizza Hawaii, pizza Bianca, etc. However, I never tried a Mexican pizza recipe with refried beans. Until recently.
And you know what, it was a good decision. Homemade pizza is always the best in my opinion, even when you have options like Taco Bell or Dominos. Have you ever made a Mexican pizza? My version is not only vegan but also gluten-free.
You should give it a try if you:
- Love pizza and love Tex-Mex food.
- Like healthy and clean ingredients.
- Want to make a pizza which is versatile.
Here is what you will need to make this simple Mexican pizza recipe:
- Your favorite pizza crust OR flour tortillas
- Refried beans
- Salsa (optional)
- Bell pepper
- Vegan cheese
I used my gluten-free pizza crust, however, you can make your favorite pizza crust or use tortillas to make the pizza even more Mexican. 🙂
Refried beans are a must for this recipe. You can use store-bought refried beans (e.g. canned) or make your own. I made my own refried beans from cooked pinto beans. You can find my homemade recipe HERE. You can also add a layer of salsa on top of the refried beans but this step is optional.
I used onion, bell pepper, jalapeño, and corn but feel free to also use tomatoes or whatever you prefer. To me, these pizza toppings remind me most of Mexico and I really love the taste!
Of course, I couldn’t resist adding my easy vegan cheese sauce. A pizza without “cheeze” is not as tasty, in my opinion.
How To Make Mexican Pizza?
If you use a store-bought pizza crust or tortillas and store-bought refried beans, this recipe is really quick and easy to make. However, if you prefer making your own pizza dough from scratch (and maybe also homemade refried beans), it will be obviously more work and take longer.
- First, prepare the pizza crust OR use a store-bought crust resp. tortillas.
- Chop/slice the veggies.
- Top the pizza crust with a thick layer of refried beans.
- Add the veggies on top.
- Finally, add a generous layer of vegan cheese and bake the pizza in the oven until crispy and golden brown.
You can serve the Mexican pizza with vegan sour cream if you like but this is optional, of course.
This Mexican Pizza Recipe Is:
- Easy to make with simple ingredients
- A great weeknight dinner
Should you recreate this tasty vegan Mexican pizza recipe, please leave a comment and rating below and don’t forget to tag me in your Instagram or Facebook post with @elavegan and #elavegan because I love to see your remakes! 🙂
If you love pizza, definitely also check out the following vegan recipes:
- Avocado Chickpea Pizza
- Vegan Spinach Pizza Ring
- Vegan Calzone With Mushrooms
- Sweet Potato Pizza Crust
- The Best Gluten-Free Pizza Crust
- 2-Ingredient Pizza Dough
Mexican Pizza Recipe
- Your favorite pizza crust (I made my own crust, see notes)
- One 16 oz can refried beans (I used homemade, see notes)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup corn
- 2/3 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- A pinch of cayenne
- 1 jalapeño pepper or more to taste
- 7-8 oz vegan cheese (I used homemade, see notes)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Salsa (optional, see notes)
- First, prepare the dough using my Homemade Gluten-Free Pizza Crust Recipe (click for the recipe) or use a store-bought pizza crust. Check the recipe notes below for the tortilla version.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (205 degrees Celsius) and line a large baking sheet with greased parchment paper.
- Transfer the Refried Beans to a bowl and add a splash of water to make the mixture spreadable. Add all spices (cumin, paprika, garlic powder, cayenne pepper).
- Chop/dice/slice the onion, pepper, and jalapeño.
- Transfer the pizza crust onto the lined baking sheet and add a thick layer of refried beans.
- Put the veggies, jalapeño, and corn on top.
- Finally, add a generous layer of vegan cheese (I added my Vegan Cheese Sauce).
- Sprinkle with salt and bake the pizza in the oven until crispy, about 20 minutes. Enjoy!
- Here is the recipe for my Gluten-Free Pizza Crust.
- You can use 4 (10-inch) flour tortillas instead of a pizza crust. Fry all tortillas in some oil, then top two tortillas with refried beans and veggies. Cover each tortilla with a second tortilla, bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes. Spread some salsa and vegan cheese on top of each tortilla stack and return to the oven for 5-8 more minutes.
- Here is the recipe for my Instant Pot Refried Beans.
- Here is the recipe for my Vegan Cheese Sauce.
- Recipe serves 4. Nutrition facts are for one serving.
If you are using Pinterest, feel free to pin the following photo: