This hearty veggie stew contains green peas, potatoes, carrots, and other healthy vegetables. The vegan pea soup recipe is dairy-free, gluten-free, and easy to make in just one pot. It’s a perfect side dish, appetizer or weeknight dinner.
A comforting vegetable stew is all I need on a cool winter day (despite that it never gets cold where I live, haha). But it can also get pretty “chilly” in the tropics (sometimes as low as 70 degrees Fahrenheit). I know this isn’t cold at all for most of you, however, if you are freezing right now, then make a bowl of this simple vegetable soup. 😀
Vegetable Stew Or Soup?
You can leave it chunky like a stew or use an immersion blender or a regular blender to puree the soup and make it even creamier. I love both versions but I prefer eating a vegan stew when I am hungry.
These are the ingredients which I used for this veggie stew:
- Frozen peas – you can use canned ones
- Potatoes – I prefer Yukon Gold
- Carrots – they are healthy and rich in beta carotene
- Celery – I love celery because it’s rich in vitamins in minerals
- Onion – healthy and flavorful
- Garlic – adds a wonderful flavor and has many health benefits
- Vegetable broth – you can use water instead
- Fresh herbs – dried herbs are fine too
- Dairy-free heavy cream – you can use canned coconut milk
All ingredients and measurements can be found in the recipe card below!
How To Make A Veggie Stew?
This vegetable stew is an easy 1-pot recipe! This means you just need one large pot, all ingredients, and a stove! If you want to puree the stew to turn it into a creamy vegan vegetable soup, then you will also need an immersion blender or regular blender. Check the step-by-step photos below.
PHOTOS 1 + 2: Sauté onion, carrots, celery, garlic, and potatoes for a few minutes. Add all herbs and spices, stirring frequently.
PHOTOS 3 + 4: Pour in vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and cook for about 5 minutes, then add the frozen peas and cook for 15 more minutes or until vegetables and peas are softened.
PHOTOS 5 +6: Mix cornstarch with vegan heavy cream or canned coconut milk and pour the milk into the stew, also add white wine (or use more broth/or plant-based milk for a creamier soup) and let simmer for a further 3-4 minutes. Stir occasionally, then serve!
And that’s it! I told you, the recipe is very easy.
Add other veggies of choice: You can use sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes for a variation. Also, zucchini or other veggies can be uses. Corn is also a nice addition which adds some sweetness.
Green peas: You can use canned peas, however, make sure to add them at a later stage as they are already very soft. Otherwise, the vegan pea soup will turn out mushy.
Cornstarch: You can use arrowroot flour or potato starch to thicken the soup. Regular flour should work fine too. You can also leave it out completely and blend half of the soup, to make it thicker.
This Vegetable Stew Is:
- Vegan (dairy-free)
- Easy to make
- Perfect as weeknight dinner, appetizer or side dish
Should you give this veggie stew a try, please leave a comment and rating below and don’t forget to tag me in your Instagram or Facebook post with @elavegan and #elavegan because I would love to see your vegan pea soup! 🙂
Do you love vegan stew recipes? Then make sure to also check out my other delicious stews and soups:
- Vegan Lasagna Soup
- Creamy Pasta Soup
- Vegan White Bean Soup
- The Best Lentil Soup
- Vegan Tortilla Soup
- Vegan Corn Chowder
- Thai Coconut Curry Soup
- Carrot Ginger Soup
- Creamy Roasted Cauliflower Soup
- Vegan Gumbo
- Vegan Shakshuka
- Hearty Vegan Goulash
Easy Veggie Stew
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 medium white onion diced
- 3 medium (200 g) carrots diced
- 5 small (500 g) potatoes chopped
- 1 medium (70 g) stalk celery with greens, finely sliced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 to 1 tbsp fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried (*see notes)
- 1/2 to 1 tbsp fresh rosemary or 1 tsp dried
- 1/2 to 1 tbsp fresh oregano or 1 tsp dried
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper or to taste
- 1/3 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes or less if sensitive to heat
- 3 cups (720 ml) vegetable broth or water
- 2 1/3 cup (350 g) frozen peas (*see notes)
- 1/2 cup (120 g) dairy-free heavy cream or canned coconut milk
- 2 tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot flour
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) white wine or more vegetable broth (*see instructions)
- Heat oil over medium heat in a pan and add the onion. Sauté for about 2-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add carrots, potatoes, celery, garlic, and all herbs + spices. Sauté for a further one minute, then add vegetable broth.
- Bring to a boil over high heat. Cook for about 5 minutes over low-medium heat, then add the frozen peas and cook for 15 more minutes, or until the veggies and peas are softened, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch with vegan heavy cream or canned coconut milk with a whisk.
- Pour the milk into the stew, also add white wine (or use more broth/or plant-based milk for a creamier soup) and let simmer for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. Add more salt/pepper/spices to taste. You can blend half of the soup with an immersion blender to make it creamier.
- Garnish with fresh herbs (optional) and enjoy! Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. The stew can be frozen!
Video Of The Recipe
- I used 1 tablespoon each of the fresh herbs (thyme, rosemary, and oregano). Feel free to use less or dried herbs instead.
- The stew/soup will thicken once it cools. Simply reheat with a generous splash of either vegetable broth or plant-based milk.
- If using canned peas, add them at a later stage.
- Recipe serves 4. Nutrition facts are for one serving.
Nutrition information is an estimate and has been calculated automatically
If you are using Pinterest, feel free to pin the following photo: