Best Portobello Mushroom Steaks with a flavorful balsamic vinegar marinade. Simply perfect for the grilling season! These grilled mushrooms are vegan, gluten-free, low-carb, and easy to make with only a few ingredients! Enjoy this hearty dish with potato salad.
Grilled Portobello Mushroom Steaks
Are you excited about summer? The grilling season is here and in my opinion, there is nothing better than grilling vegan food with friends! Don’t you think so too?! Today, I have the perfect vegan side dish for you. I am talking about these grilled Portobello mushroom steaks, which will make your mouth water.
You might love the recipe as much as I do because it is:
- Meat-free, vegan, low-carb
- Hearty, flavorful, spicy
- Easy to make with simple ingredients
How To Make The Best Portobello Steaks?
Check the following step-by-step instruction photos below:
- First, remove the mushroom stems.
- Wipe the mushrooms clean (I used a brush).
- Add garlic, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, oil, and all spices to a shallow baking dish.
- Stir with a spoon or whisk.
- Add the Portobello mushrooms.
- Brush with marinade on all sides.
- Marinate for at least 10-15 minutes (or longer).
- Cook on the grill or in a skillet on the stovetop for 5 minutes (each side).
You’ll only need 10 ingredients to make these flavorful mushroom steaks. The main ingredients are, of course, Portobello mushrooms. Mine weren’t nicely shaped, but I don’t care because even ugly produce tastes delicious, right?!
I used a mixture of gluten-free low-sodium soy sauce (you can use tamari, coconut aminos, or regular soy sauce), balsamic vinegar, and a spice mix. The spices are actually up to you. If you aren’t a fan of cumin, just leave it out. Do you love smoked paprika? Use more of it. Love it spicy? Add cayenne pepper!
You can also use garlic powder instead of fresh garlic. Both work fine! Fresh herbs like thyme or rosemary are a nice addition as well. Feel free to use any fresh or dried herbs of choice. If you have liquid smoke, add a little of it! It adds a wonderful smoky flavor.
I used olive oil, but any other oil will work as well.
Cook or Bake the Portobello Steaks
Cook the Portobello mushroom steaks in a large skillet on the stovetop or on the grill. Another option would be to bake them in the oven. I would suggest 25 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius). Then flip them after 15-20 minutes.
How To Serve The Mushrooms?
I served these grilled mushrooms with my favorite creamy vegan potato salad. It’s really the best side dish I can imagine, however, you can, of course, serve them with any other dish. Some ideas would be oven-baked potato wedges with guacamole! Or what about roasted homemade gnocchi?
The possibilities are endless. Here you can check out more vegan side dishes which I love! You could also make burgers and use the grilled mushrooms as vegan patties!
These Portobello Steaks Are:
- Vegan (meat-free)
- Easy to make with simple ingredients
- Perfect for the grilling season (barbecue)
Should you give these vegan steaks a try, please leave a comment below, and don’t forget to tag me in your Instagram or Facebook post with @elavegan and #elavegan because I love to see your remakes! If you love hearty side dishes, definitely also check out the following recipes:
Best Portobello Steaks
- 4 large portobello mushrooms (stems removed, wiped clean)
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce (see notes)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/3 tsp cumin
- 1/3 tsp smoked paprika
- Black pepper to taste
- Cayenne pepper (optional)
- You can watch the video in the post for visual instructions.In a baking dish whisk together balsamic vinegar, oil, soy sauce, garlic, and all spices.
- Add portobello mushrooms, use a brush to brush with the marinade on all sides.
- Marinate for at least 10-15 minutes (the longer the better). In the meantime, you can prep your favorite side dish.
- Heat a grill or skillet over medium-high heat and spray with cooking spray.
- Cook the portobello mushrooms on each side for about 4-5 minutes or until deep golden brown. Brush with the remaining marinade while cooking.
- I served them with homemade vegan potato salad (click for the recipe). Enjoy!
- You can use tamari, coconut aminos, or regular soy sauce (gluten-free if needed) instead of low-sodium soy sauce.
- You can also check out my Crispy Cauliflower Steaks Recipe.
- Nutrition facts are for one Portobello mushroom.
Nutrition information is an estimate and has been calculated automatically
If you are using Pinterest, feel free to pin the following photo:
Beautiful simple very tasty
Happy you liked it, Kaye. 🙂
First time having portobello steaks. This recipe is the bomb; savory, rich, tangy, and meaty. Great first experience. Thank you!
You are very welcome, Taylor! So happy you like it. 🙂
I’m glad I found your recipe because they turned out delicious. Thank you ????
Hi Cheryl, I am so glad you liked the recipe! 🙂
These sound great and I’m mixing up the marinade now. Would substituting the oil with aquafaba work? Also is 8 hours too long for them to marinate? Thanks.
Hi Alocasia, I am not sure if aquafaba will work as good as oil, but you can definitely give it a try. 8 hours should be totally fine. Please report if you try it. 🙂
These were great. The aquafaba worked fine. Can’t wait to have them again. ‘
Hi Alocasia, I am so glad you liked them. 🙂
I’ve made this recipe several times now, and actually have another batch of of mushrooms marinating as I write this. It’s such a winner — quick, flavorful, and so easy it’s almost foolproof. 🙂 I’ve also had good success making a little extra sauce and throwing in some sliced seitan along with the mushrooms. Thanks so much, Ela!!
Sounds terrific, Sarah! Thanks for your great feedback. 🙂
This recipe reminded me of a delicious “mushroom mignon” at an upscale restaurant. It came together quickly and turned out great. Thank you!
That’s awesome, Arlene. Thanks for your fantastic feedback. 🙂
I was not sure about this. I have never tried anything like this. It was easy to do. Baked in the oven as per instructions Result was amazing. Thank you.
That’s awesome, Edwin! I am so glad you liked it. 🙂
Absolutely delicious and very straightforward recipe
Thanks for your great feedback! 🙂