Millet fritters with mashed potatoes and a creamy pea sauce
Do you also love fritters? I like them a lot, especially since they are so versatile and can be served with almost all savory meals. They can be made from all kind of grains and/or veggies. I made millet fritters which are not only vegan but also gluten-free and healthy. I served these delicious fritters with mashed potatoes and a creamy pea sauce.
Millet fritters which are easy to make
These healthy vegan millet fritters are a great comfort food and can be eaten for lunch or dinner. They are rich in protein, fiber, and furthermore in nutrients such as: Magnesium, Calcium, Manganese, B-vitamins, Tryptophan, Phosphorus, and antioxidants.
The recipe for these fritters is very simple and the ingredients are easily available, and inexpensive. You can serve these fritters with mashed potatoes, rice or even pasta.
These millet fritters are:
- Easy to make
- A great comfort food
Include your favorite veggies
You can make these delicious millet fritters with all kind of veggies. I added fresh corn and peas, however, you could also add grated carrots or zucchini, or any of your favorite veggies.
Creamy pea sauce
I will include the recipe for my creamy pea sauce below. You can serve these millet fritters with any sauce of choice, but since the fritters also contain peas, I thought it would be amazing to make a creamy pea sauce.
Should you recreate my vegan millet fritters recipe, please leave a comment below and don’t forget to tag me in your Instagram or Facebook post with @elavegan and #elavegan because I love to see your recreations. Also, if you love fritters as much as I do, then definitely also check out my vegan cauliflower fritters.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup millet (150 g)
- 1 3/4 cup vegetable broth (420 ml)
- 3 tbsp cornstarch (or potato starch)
- 1/2 cup peas (canned)
- 1/2 cup corn (fresh or canned) optional
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flax seeds mixed with 5 tbsp water)
- 3 tbsp oil (divided)
- pinch of ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a skillet/frying pan, stir in the diced onion and minced garlic and fry for 4-5 minutes over medium heat
- Rinse millet a few times with tap water and drain. Add it to the onion/garlic mixture, and stir for about 2 minutes
- Add vegetable broth to the millet, and cook on low heat with a lid on until the broth is absorbed (about 20 minutes)
- Meanwhile, make the flax eggs: Combine 2 tbsp ground flax seeds with 5 tbsp water, mix with a whisk and set aside for 5 minutes
- Add starch, flax eggs, corn, and peas into a medium-sized bowl and transfer the cooled millet mixture into the same bowl
- Use your clean hands to mix all ingredients until the mixture holds together
- Slightly wet your hands and form round patties, approximately 3-4 inches (8-10 cm) in size
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a skillet and fry 4 patties from both sides on medium heat until they are golden brown
- Repeat this step with the remaining 4 patties (recipe makes about 8 patties / depends on size)
Creamy pea sauce
- Put all ingredients into a food processor or high-speed blender and mix well
- Transfer the mixture into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Let it simmer for 1 minute until the sauce is thick and creamy
- Serve with millet fritters and mashed potatoes (or pasta or rice). Enjoy!
If you are using Pinterest, feel free to pin the following photo: