This hearty vegan potato bake (potatoes au gratin) with pumpkin and lentils is a great fall recipe. It’s a wonderful comfort meal and perfect for dinner or lunch. The potato casserole is furthermore gluten-free, and easy to make.
Vegan Potato Bake – The Perfect Comfort Food
Fall calls for comfort meals and comfort meals call for potatoes! You guys, this potato bake is a must-try, especially if you love casserole recipes as much as I do. This hearty potato gratin is not only plant-based, but it’s also gluten-free, easy to make and rich in protein.
Vegan Potato Casserole With Pumpkin And Lentils
Since pumpkin is in season right now, I decided to make this vegan potato bake with pumpkin. Potatoes and pumpkin go so well together, so I thought it would be a nice addition. And because I love to add healthy protein to my vegan recipes, I included lentils as well. Lentils are packed with healthy plant-based protein and cook fast, which is a big bonus.
Hearty Vegan Potato Gratin
I love hearty recipes and comfort food so much, especially when it gets colder outside. To make this potato bake creamy I’ve added vegan cheese (I used my easy vegan cheese sauce) and vegan cream cheese. I also added various spices and herbs for an amazing flavor because nobody likes recipes that taste bland.
This recipe doesn’t contain many ingredients. Furthermore, the few ingredients can be bought in every supermarket. Nothing fancy or special. This potato bake is ready in less than 45 minutes.
This Vegan Potato Bake Is:
- Plant-based (dairy-free, egg-free)
- Rich in protein
- Easy to make
- A delicious comfort meal
- Perfect for lunch or dinner
As mentioned before, this delicious vegan potato casserole can be made with fresh pumpkin, however, you can also use sweet potato or carrot instead. All variations taste delicious and are healthy.
If you give this recipe a try, please leave a comment below and don’t forget to tag @elavegan #elavegan on Instagram or Facebook if you take a picture of your dish.
Also, if you love casseroles, you should definitely check out my healthy vegan pasta bake as well. It’s hearty, creamy and furthermore low in fat!
How To Make A Vegan Potato Bake?
This vegan potato gratin is very easy to make with simple ingredients. Check the recipe below for more easy instructions!
Vegan Potato Bake
- 2 pounds (900 g) potatoes peeled and sliced
- 3 cups (400 g) pumpkin chopped into 1-inch cubes
- 1 heaping cup (200 g) dry lentils (I used brown ones)
- 2 cups (480 ml) vegetable broth or water
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil divided
- 1 large onion diced
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 batch of (200 g) vegan cheese sauce or 7 oz vegan cheese of choice
- 2/3 cup (150 g) vegan cream cheese
- 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Sea salt & black pepper to taste
- Fresh herbs to garnish (e.g. parsley or thyme)
- Fried onion rings to garnish (optional)
- Rinse lentils under running water. I prefer to soak the lentils for about 10-15 minutes in lukewarm water because they are better digested this way (this step is optional). Drain the water afterward.
- Meanwhile, peel and slice potatoes about 0.25 inches thick (0,6 cm). Cook in salted water for 12 minutes or until fork-tender (but not too soft).
- Chop the pumpkin, onion, and garlic.
- Heat 1/2 tbsp oil in a pot, stir in the onion and fry for about 3-4 minutes over medium heat. Add garlic, all spices, the lentils and 2 cups of vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and let simmer for about 15 minutes or until there is no water left in the pot.
- Preheat oven to 390 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- While the lentils cook, you can prepare the vegan cheese sauce (or use store-bought vegan queso instead). Next, add the vegan cream cheese to the vegan cheese sauce and stir with a whisk.
- Toss the pumpkin with the other half tbsp of oil and fry in a pan for 3-5 minutes.
- Add a layer of the cooked potato slices into a greased baking dish.
- Then add the cooked lentil mixture.
- Now pour about half of the vegan cheese sauce/cream cheese mixture on top.
- Add the pumpkin cubes and the remaining potato slices.
- Finally, pour the other half of the vegan cheese sauce/cream cheese mixture on top.
- Cook in the oven for about 25 minutes. Garnish with fresh herbs (e.g. parsley). Enjoy!
- Recipe serves 6. Nutrition facts are for one serving.
Nutrition information is an estimate and has been calculated automatically
If you are using Pinterest, feel free to pin the following photo: