Light, airy, and creamy vegan Peanut Butter Mousse. This fluffy dairy-free dessert literally melts in your mouth. It’s easy to make with only 6 simple ingredients and tastes heavenly!
If you are craving something sweet but don’t feel like eating cake, pie or muffins, make this peanut mousse. It will easily satisfy your cravings for a dessert. Especially if you love peanut butter, this sweet treat is meant for you!
You can enjoy it for breakfast or grab one parfait in the afternoon when you need an energy kick. This vegan mousse is also a perfect no-bake dessert for the summer because it’s so light. It’s even possible to freeze it which will make it taste like a delicious peanut butter ice cream mousse!
The parfait is made from only 6 ingredients. I will also give you substitutes to make the dessert allergy-friendly in case you can’t eat soy. You will need the following ingredients:
Peanut butter – I used creamy peanut butter which was salted but unsweetened. If yours is sweetened, you can simply use a little less sweetener. For a variation, try out almond butter, cashew butter, etc. or even sunflower seed butter for a nut-free version!
Silken tofu – You will need firm silken tofu. You could also use extra firm silken tofu. Please don’t use soft silken tofu, otherwise, the mousse won’t firm up. To make the dessert soy-free, use a vegan cream cheese that doesn’t contain soy. The thick part of a canned can of coconut milk might work as well. You will need to chill it in the refrigerator without shaking the can and then scoop out the white solid cream.
Banana – It adds sweetness, healthy fiber, and a nice flavor that complements the peanut butter. If you don’t like banana, leave it out and use vegan cream cheese instead!
Sweetener – I used maple syrup, however, you can also use a different liquid sweetener like agave syrup, date syrup, rice malt syrup, etc. Powdered sugar or powdered Erythritol (for a sugar-free version) should work as well!
What Is Aquafaba?
To put it simply, it’s the liquid of a can of chickpeas, also known as chickpea brine. It can be used instead of egg whites and is great for vegan baking! I used it in this Vegan Lemon Cake.
Open a can or a glass of chickpeas, drain the liquid to a large mixing bowl and save the chickpeas for a savory meal, for example, this Vegan Chickpea Curry. You can also make your own aquafaba by cooking dry chickpeas and use the thickened cooking liquid. It’s more time-consuming though.
Lemon juice – I actually used lime juice but both work. You only need 1 tsp but it will help to make the aquafaba stiffer! 1/8 tsp cream of tartar could be also used instead of lemon juice.
All ingredients AND measurements are listed in the recipe card BELOW!
How To Make Vegan Peanut Butter Mousse?
STEP 1: Add all ingredients except the aquafaba and lemon juice to a food processor or blender and blend until completely smooth and creamy. Put the container into the refrigerator.
STEP 2: Pour the chickpea water into a large and clean mixing bowl. I used a metal mixing bowl but you can also use a glass mixing bowl. You will need 1/3 to 1/2 cup (100 ml) of chickpea water (aquafaba).
STEP 3: Whip up the aquafaba and lemon juice with an electric hand mixer or a stand mixer. It takes about 10 minutes in total. If you can invert the mixing bowl, you can stop mixing. If not, keep going for a few more minutes.
STEP 4: Gently fold the aquafaba into the peanut butter mixture by using a spatula. It will deflate a little but don’t worry that’s normal.
STEP 5: Spoon the mousse into two large or four small clean glass jars and put them into the refrigerator to set, preferably overnight.
Helpful Tips And Variations
- Make the peanut butter mousse in the evening and chill the jars in the fridge overnight. Wake up to a delicious breakfast!
- If you are in a hurry or quite impatient, simply put the jars in the freezer to firm up much quicker!
- Make a no-bake vegan peanut butter pie! Use your favorite pie crust (or make the pie crust of my Vegan Chocolate Pie) and replace the aquafaba with whipped coconut cream or vegan whipped cream for a firmer result.
This Peanut Mousse Parfait is:
- Vegan (dairy-free, egg-free)
- Can be made nut-free with sunflower seed butter
- Can be made refined sugar-free
- Easy to make
If you love peanut butter desserts, make sure to check out my other delicious vegan & gluten-free recipes:
- 3-Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies
- 5-Ingredient Peanut Butter Crunch Bars
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Cups
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake
Should you give this vegan peanut butter mousse a try, please leave a comment and rating below and tag me in your Instagram or Facebook post with #elavegan and @elavegan.
Vegan Peanut Butter Mousse
- This recipe has a video (below) for easy visual instructions.
- To whip up the aquafaba, simply drain the chickpea water into a large and clean mixing bowl (see step-by-step photos in the blog post above). You will need 1/3 to 1/2 cup (100 ml) of chickpea water. Don't use more and discard the rest or freeze it for later use.
- Whip up the aquafaba with an electric hand mixer or stand mixer. Add the lemon juice (or lime juice) after about 8 minutes and whip until you have stiff peaks. It takes about 10 minutes in total. If you can invert the mixing bowl, you can stop mixing. If not, keep going for a few more minutes.
- Gently fold the aquafaba into the peanut butter mixture by using a spatula.
- Then spoon the mousse into 2 large or 4 small clean jars and put them into the refrigerator to set, preferably overnight. You can also freeze the mousse for about one hour! Decorate with dairy-free chocolate and enjoy cooled! Check the recipe notes below for substitutes.
- For a soy-free version, try out soy-free, vegan cream cheese. Read the blog post above for more helpful tips.
- If you don't like banana, leave it out and use vegan cream cheese instead!
- I used unsweetened creamy peanut butter. You can use almond butter or any other nut butter. Use sunflower seed butter for a nut-free version.
- You can use a different sweetener like date syrup, rice malt syrup, agave syrup, etc.
- Recipe serves 4. Nutrition facts are for one serving.
If you are using Pinterest, feel free to pin the following photo: