Chocolate stuffed pancakes
What is better than pancakes on a Sunday?! Chocolate stuffed pancakes, of course! This was the third time I made this delicious treat, and because I love it so much, I want to share the recipe with you all. These pancakes are not only a great dessert, they are also a wonderful breakfast, especially on Sundays.
Vegan chocolate stuffed pancakes are addictive
I am sure you have already heard of #pancakesunday before, it’s very popular on Instagram. Regular pancakes are amazing, no question, but these chocolate stuffed pancakes are the real deal. Once you make them, you don’t want to eat “normal” pancakes ever again, because these are really addictive, haha.
The first time I heard about chocolate stuffed pancakes was when I made a search on Pinterest for stuffed pancakes. I saw a couple of recipes for Nutella® stuffed pancakes and I was intrigued and thought I could veganize them! I created my own recipe and I am so excited to share it with you.
Ingredients of my chocolate stuffed pancakes
These chocolate stuffed pancakes are vegan, gluten-free, refined sugar-free and you will only need a few ingredients and you most likely already have all of them at home!
As an egg replacement, I used one small banana and 1 tbsp of ground chia seeds. You can also use ground flax seeds and applesauce if you don’t like the taste of bananas. Instead of cow’s milk, I used coconut milk (I always mix canned coconut milk with water in a 1:1 ratio) but you can use any other plant-based milk of choice.
My pancakes turned out really fluffy with a mixture of oat flour and rice flour. But any flour (except coconut flour) should work fine, for example, buckwheat flour, quinoa flour etc.
My chocolate stuffed pancakes are:
- Refined sugar-free
- Easy to make
Please leave a comment below if you make these chocolate stuffed pancakes. You can also make a photo of them and post it on Instagram (or send me a DM). If you tag me in the caption + photo with @elavegan and use the hashtag #elavegan I will gladly check out your post and leave a comment
These chocolate stuffed pancakes are a wonderful dessert and great breakfast on weekends. They are vegan, gluten-free, refined sugar-free, and easy to make.
- Put all "chocolate filling" ingredients into a small bowl and stir with a whisk. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or foil and spoon about 1 heaped tbsp (approx. 22-24 grams) of the chocolate spread onto the paper/foil. Use the back of the spoon to spread it out into a round disc about 7-8 cm in diameter. You will need to make 6 discs in total. Put the pan in the freezer for about 30 minutes.
- To make the pancakes simply put all dry ingredients into a bowl and stir with a whisk.
- Process all wet ingredients (except the oil) in a food processor or blender.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and stir with a whisk to combine (don't overmix the batter).
- Once the chocolate discs are firm, you can start making the chocolate stuffed pancakes: Preheat a skillet to low-medium heat and add a little bit of oil (or use cooking spray).
- Pour about 1 1/2 heaped tbsp of the pancake batter into the skillet, spread it and place 1 frozen chocolate disc into the center of the batter. Add more batter (approx. 1 1/2 tbsp) to cover the chocolate.
Put a lid on the skillet and cook the pancake for about 3 minutes. The lid is important, otherwise, the pancake won't cook properly because of the frozen disc! Flip the pancake and cook if from the other side for a further 2 minutes or until golden brown (always with the lid on). Continue with the remaining 5 pancakes (Tip: Use two skillets at the same time to save time).
- Keep the pancakes warm until you serve them.
- Enjoy with banana slices and a chocolate sauce!
You can use 80 g of applesauce instead of banana.
The chocolate filling isn't overly sweet. If you prefer it sweeter, then add more liquid sweetener to taste.