Chocolate stuffed pancakes
What is better than pancakes on a Sunday?! Chocolate stuffed pancakes, of course! This was the third time I made this delicious treat, and because I love it so much, I want to share the recipe with you all. These pancakes are not only a great dessert, but they are also a wonderful breakfast, especially on Sundays.
Vegan chocolate stuffed pancakes are addictive
I am sure you have already heard of #pancakesunday before, it’s very popular on Instagram. Regular pancakes are amazing, no question, but these chocolate stuffed pancakes are the real deal. Once you make them, you don’t want to eat “normal” pancakes ever again, because these are really addictive, haha.
The first time I heard about chocolate stuffed pancakes was when I made a search on Pinterest for stuffed pancakes. I saw a couple of recipes for Nutella® stuffed pancakes and I was intrigued and thought I could veganize them! I created my own recipe and I am so excited to share it with you.
Ingredients of my chocolate stuffed pancakes
These chocolate filled pancakes are vegan, gluten-free and you will only need a few ingredients and you most likely already have all of them at home!
As an egg replacement, I used one small banana and 1 tbsp of ground chia seeds. You can also use ground flax seeds and applesauce if you don’t like the taste of bananas. Instead of cow’s milk, I used plant-based milk (I always mix canned coconut milk with water in a 1:1 ratio) but you can use any other plant-based milk of choice.
My pancakes turned out really fluffy with a mixture of oat flour and rice flour. But any flour (except coconut flour) should work fine, for example, buckwheat flour, quinoa flour etc.
These chocolate filled pancakes are:
- Easy to make
Please leave a comment below if you make these chocolate stuffed pancakes. You can also make a photo of them and post it on Instagram (or send me a DM). If you tag me in the caption + photo with @elavegan and use the hashtag #elavegan I will gladly check out your post and leave a comment.
Chocolate stuffed pancakes
- 220 ml plant-based milk
- 1 small banana (80 g) (*see recipe notes)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice or lime juice
- coconut oil for frying
- Watch the video (scroll down a bit) to see all instruction steps.
- Start by making the chocolate filling. Put all "chocolate filling" ingredients into a small bowl and stir with a whisk. Spoon the chocolate spread into a silicone mold (see pic below). You will need to make 6 "chocolate discs" in total. Put the mold into the freezer for about 30 minutes.
- To make the pancakes simply put all dry ingredients into a bowl and stir with a whisk.
- Process all wet ingredients (except the oil) in a food processor or blender.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and stir with a whisk to combine (don't overmix the batter).
- Once the chocolate discs are firm, you can start making the chocolate stuffed pancakes: Preheat a skillet to low-medium heat and add a little bit of oil (or use cooking spray).
- Pour about 1 1/2 heaped tbsp of the pancake batter into the skillet, spread it and place 1 frozen chocolate disc into the center of the batter. Add more batter (approx. 1 1/2 tbsp) to cover the chocolate.
- Put a lid on the skillet and cook the pancake for about 3 minutes. Flip the pancake and cook if from the other side for a further 2 minutes or until golden brown. Continue with the remaining 5 pancakes (Tip: Use two skillets at the same time to save time).
- Keep the pancakes warm until you serve them.
- Enjoy with banana slices and a chocolate sauce!
- To make oat flour simply process oats in a blender.
- You can use 80 g of applesauce instead of banana.
- The chocolate filling isn't very sweet (I used sweetened sunflower seed butter). If you prefer it sweeter, then add 1-2 tbsp maple syrup (or more to taste). You can use any nut butter of choice, e.g. hazelnut butter, peanut butter, cashew butter etc.
IF YOU ARE USING PINTEREST, FEEL FREE TO PIN THE FOLLOWING PHOTO: