Best Lentil Soup
This best lentil soup recipe (that's how my boyfriend called it) is super comforting, hearty, flavorful, and easy to make. The stew is vegan, gluten-free, inexpensive, and made in one pot only. The recipe makes A LOT of soup but fortunately, it freezes well.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup onion (1 medium-sized) diced
- 3 big garlic cloves minced
- 1 medium head of (500 g) cauliflower chopped
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 3 cups (600 g) dried lentils brown or green, rinsed and drained
- 14 oz (400 g) tomatoes chopped
- 8 cups (2 liters) vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp fresh ginger minced
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground caraway seeds
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 cup (30 ml) coconut cream or dairy-free half and half (e.g. from SILK)
Heat oil in a LARGE pot over medium heat and add the chopped onion. Sauté for 3 minutes, then add garlic, carrot, and celery, and sauté for 3 more minutes.
Add all spices, the lentils, cauliflower, and vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
Now add the bay leaves and cook the soup with a lid on for about 5 minutes.
Then add the chopped tomatoes and stir. Let the soup simmer for a further 20-25 minutes or until the lentils are cooked but not mushy.
Finally, add the soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, and coconut cream.
Garnish with fresh herbs and enjoy! Can be also served with rice or bread.
- The soup freezes well.
- Recipe serves 8. Nutrition facts are for one serving.
Best Lentil Soup
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 36
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 2g10%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Calories: 328kcal | Carbohydrates: 54g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Fiber: 24g | Sugar: 7g