Best Lentil Soup
This best lentil soup recipe (that's how my boyfriend called it) is super comforting, hearty, flavorful, and easy to make. The stew is vegan, gluten-free, inexpensive, and made in one pot only. The recipe makes A LOT of soup but fortunately, it freezes well.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 medium-sized)
- 3 big cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 head of cauliflower, chopped (medium-sized) (500 g)
- 1 cup chopped carrot (about 1/2 of a big one)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3 cups dried lentils, brown or green, rinsed and drained (600 g)
- 14 oz chopped tomatoes (400 g)
- 8 cups vegetable broth (2 liters)
- Spice mix: 1 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, 1/2 tsp ground coriander, 1/2 tsp ground caraway seeds, 1/2 tsp smoked paprika powder, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp minced fresh ginger, 1/2 tsp brown sugar, sea salt, and pepper to taste
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 cup coconut milk or coconut cream (optional)
Heat oil in a LARGE pot over medium heat and add the chopped onion. Cook for 3 minutes, then add garlic, carrot, and celery, and cook for 3 more minutes.
Add the spice mix, the lentils, cauliflower, and broth and bring to a boil.
Now add the bay leaves and cook the soup with a lid on for about 5 minutes.
Then add the chopped tomatoes and stir. Let the soup simmer for a further 20-25 minutes or until the lentils are cooked but not mushy.
Finally, add the soy sauce and balsamic vinegar. You can also add coconut milk or cream but this step is optional.
Garnish with fresh herbs and enjoy! Can be also served with rice or bread.