Vegan summer rolls | spring rolls | rainbow rolls
Some people call them summer rolls, rice paper rolls, spring rolls or even rainbow rolls. I love to call them summer rolls since it’s always warm where I live. These vegan summer rolls are filled with so much goodness, they are delicious and healthy. I have made many summer rolls in the past and it seems most people love them. When I posted these vegan summer rolls on my Instagram account @elavegan people often went crazy and asked for my recipe. These rolls are colorful and pretty, they are healthy and a great party snack.
My summer rolls are:
- A perfect snack
Vegan summer rolls are versatile
I love how versatile summer rolls are. You can add your favorite ingredients, make them look fancy and colorful or keep them simple. I love to include a lot of vegetables, sprouts, legumes like chickpeas, a few nuts or seeds and sometimes even fruits. And yes I often get fancy and color the noodles pink, yellow or blue! I am not using any artificial colors, I color them with beet juice, turmeric and spirulina powder, which are perfect to use as all natural food coloring. Of course, you don’t have to color your noodles and just use them plain.
To make this recipe, you will need rice paper, your favorite veggies/fruits and either rice noodles or any other “Asian noodles”. The noodles I am using are called “cellophane noodles” (glass noodles), they are very thin, transparent and only need to cook for one minute. You can also use regular rice or stuff your vegan summer rolls with veggies and/or fruits only. I like to include glass noodles though as it keeps me full for a longer time.
Serve your vegan summer rolls with a delicious sauce
You can use any dipping sauce of choice. I made a hot peanut butter dipping sauce but when I am lazy I often just dip these rolls in soy sauce. The recipe for the creamy peanut butter sauce is in the recipe notes. You can make it nut-free by using sunflower seed butter! Let me know if you try out my recipe and please report back if you liked it.
Vegan summer rolls / spring rolls
- 7-10 sheets rice paper
- 1/2 avocado sliced
- 1/4 cup each of green, red and yellow pepper sliced
- One zucchini spiralized or finely cut
- One carrot spiralized or finely cut
- One cucumber spiralized or finely cut
- 1/4 of a small red cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 can chickpeas
- 100-150 g cellophane noodles or rice noodles
- Pinch of sea salt
- Boil the noodles as per the instructions on the packaging, discard the hot water and rinse with cool water. Optional: Color one part of the noodles with beet juice and stir until all the noodles are pink. You can color the other part with a little bit of spirulina powder (for a nice turquoise color) or with turmeric powder (for a nice yellow color), get creative!
- Finely cut or spiralize your veggies and fruits (in case you want to use fruits too):
- Roast chickpeas with a little bit of oil and soy sauce (optional) in a saucepan:
- Fill a large bowl or pot with water and completely dip your rice paper in the water for about 10-20 seconds. I am using the following brand of rice paper:
- I used a lightly greased parchment paper on my working surface, to avoid that the rice paper sticks to the surface. Place your (cooled) noodles and veggies in the center of the rice paper and a bit in front of it:
- Roll it up carefully, it's a bit tricky since the rice paper is very thin and can burst easily. I always seal the sides first
- Dip in sauce, of choice, for example, soy sauce or peanut butter sauce (recipe below in recipe notes). Enjoy!
4 tbsp coconut milk, canned
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp coconut sugar
2 tsp hot sauce (e.g. sriracha)
1/3 - 1/2 tsp (or to taste) salt (or use 1-2 tbsp of soy sauce) Optional (but very recommended):
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp garlic powder
2 cloves of garlic, minced Mix everything together in a bowl with a whisk. Enjoy!