Vegan pumpkin cake with a fluffy frosting
Everyone is going crazy over pumpkins. I see hundreds of pumpkin pics in my Instagram feed and on Pinterest and I couldn’t resist baking something with pumpkin either. Maybe you are still looking for a fall recipe or a recipe for Halloween? Well, this gluten-free vegan pumpkin cake will probably be your new favorite fall recipe.
Pumpkin is just perfect for baking, it’s low in calories, contains lots of beta-carotene which is a powerful antioxidant and so healthy. Furthermore, it makes all baked goods moist and yummy. Definitely try it out as long as the pumpkin season lasts.
Healthy gluten free vegan pumpkin cake recipe
This delicious vegan pumpkin cake contains only whole foods, no gluten, no eggs, no dairy, no butter and no refined sugar. It is super moist but not gummy, the texture actually turned out pretty amazing.
I used fresh pumpkin for this cake but I guess you could also use canned pumpkin puree. You can enjoy the cake without the cashew frosting if you have to avoid nuts, it will still taste amazing.
This vegan pumpkin cake is:
- Refined sugar-free
- Gluten free
- Can be made nut-free
- Easy to make
Top this vegan pumpkin cake with a fluffy frosting
Well, this step is optional, but I really like to enjoy this vegan pumpkin cake with a creamy and fluffy cashew frosting. You only need to blend a few ingredients for this frosting and in my opinion, it tastes even better than heavy whipped cream.
If you can’t eat cashews I would recommend to whip up a chilled can of coconut milk (the thick white part) and use it as frosting. Whipped coconut milk is equally delicious and so much healthier than heavy whipped cream.
If you want a low-fat/low-calorie frosting then definitely check out this recipe from me: VEGAN GLUTEN-FREE CARROT CAKE
Easy to make healthy recipe
This gluten-free vegan pumpkin cake is easy to make in 7 simple steps and it took me less than one hour (from start to finish) to make this recipe. Keep the cake covered in the fridge, so that it doesn’t dry out. As always I will also include the nutrition facts in the recipe notes.
Please leave a comment below if you make this vegan pumpkin cake. You can also make a photo of it and post it on Instagram (or send me a DM). If you tag me in the caption + photo with @elavegan and use the hashtag #elavegan I will gladly check out your post and leave a comment. Happy fall baking!
Vegan pumpkin cake
- 1 cup white rice flour or brown rice flour (160 g)
- 1 cup ground oats (GF if needed) (90 g)
- 1/2 cup dried shredded coconut unsweetened (45 g) or ground almonds
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (80 g)
- 2 tbsp flax seeds or chia seeds, ground
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Spices to taste (cinnamon, allspice)
- Cover the cashews in a jar or small bowl with hot water and allow them to soak for 30-50 minutes (then discard the water)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit/190 degrees Celsius
- Put the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix until there are no clumps (you can also sift them)
- Process all the wet ingredients in your blender or food processor until the mixture is smooth
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir with a spatula or whisk
- Put the dough into an 8-inch baking pan (either greased or lined with baking paper) and bake for 40 minutes until a toothpick comes out (nearly) clean from the center. Let the cake cool down
- Mix all ingredients for the cashew cream in your blender until the mixture is creamy. Spread about half of the cream on the cake (you can save the remaining cream for another dessert). Enjoy this delicious vegan pumpkin cake. Store leftovers covered in the fridge.
If you are using Pinterest, feel free to pin the following photo: