Veggie curry with pineapple | healthy comfort food
I love curry, it’s one of the most satisfying meals in my opinion. Veggie curry served with rice, potatoes or flatbread is my favorite dinner lately and it keeps me full for a long time. I always try out different curry recipes, like this vegan chickpea curry which is one of my most popular savory recipes. It was remade by so many people and I got lots of positive feedback.
This time I added more veggies and also pineapple! If you haven’t combined pineapple with savory food yet, you are missing out. Pineapple on pizza (Pizza Hawaii) is just one example and this delicious veggie curry is another one. Definitely, try it out and let me know if you liked the combo sweet and savory.
Veggie curry is healthy
I have already written in my other curry post about the incredible health benefits of curry: Curry Powder is a popular spice mix that has a number of valuable health benefits, including the prevention of cancer, protection against heart disease, reduce Alzheimer’s disease symptoms, ease pain and inflammation, boost bone health, protect the immune system from bacterial infections, and increase the liver’s ability to remove toxins from the body. For me, this is a good reason to enjoy curry at least once a week.
You don’t need to spend more than half an hour to make this delicious veggie curry. Actually, it took me under 25 minutes! I added different veggies, like carrot, zucchini, eggplant, bell pepper, onion and to make it even more delicious also pineapple. You can add other veggies like cauliflower, mushrooms or even sweet potatoes. Use your favorite veggies or the ones which are in season right now. In my opinion, this veggie curry tastes delicious with all kind of vegetables.
This veggie curry is:
- Gluten free
- Sweet and savory
- A delicious comfort food
Veggie curry with pineapple and rice
I often eat this veggie curry with basmati or Yasmin rice but it tastes also amazing with potatoes or flatbread. You can even serve it with regular bread. This vegetable curry contains healthy carbs, protein, and fat and tastes absolutely amazing. You can also sprinkle some fresh coriander on top since coriander is an incredible herb which goes so well with curry.
If you recreate my veggie curry, please leave a comment below and don’t forget to tag me in your Instagram or Facebook post with @elavegan because I love to see your recreations.
Veggie curry with pineapple
- 1 1/2 cups pineapple chunks, fresh (250 g)
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 1 medium sized carrot
- 1 small eggplant (or half of a big one)
- 1 small zucchini
- 1/2 bell pepper
- 1/2 big onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup light coconut milk (unsweetened, canned)
- 1-2 tbsp curry powder (you can use curry paste instead)
- 1-2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp turmeric (optional)
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika (optional)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 tsp starch (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooked rice of choice (I use Basmati or Yasmin rice)
- coriander for serving
- Chop the veggies + onion and put them in a large pan (I use a ceramic pan and no oil) and cook on medium heat for about 5-8 minutes. Add the garlic for a further 1 minute
- Drain and rinse chickpeas and add them to the pan together with the pineapple chunks
- Add coconut milk, spices + salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for about 5 minutes or longer (for a thicker curry). You can also add 1 tsp of starch (mix it with some coconut milk before you add it) to make the curry sauce even thicker
- Serve your curry with cooked rice of choice or potatoes. Decorate with fresh coriander. Enjoy!
If you are using Pinterest, feel free to pin the following photo: