Vegan burger with the best homemade Thousand Island dressing. This is an honest review for Sweet Earth Foods‘ plant-based Awesome Burger which looks very similar to a traditional burger. It contains 26 grams of plant-based protein and is healthier and environmentally friendlier than a beef burger. This blog post was made in partnership with Sweet Earth Foods, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
A plant-based burger that looks like the real deal?! If I didn’t know it any better, I would actually think I am eating a traditional burger. However, this Awesome Burger is plant-based and doesn’t contain meat! How awesome is that?!
What about the taste? The flavor is satisfying, it’s juicy, meaty, and nutty. Check the “conclusion” below for more details.
Why do I love the Awesome Burger?
- It’s vegan! No animal had to suffer in the production of this vegan burger.
- It’s protein-rich, nutritious, and healthier than a meat burger!
- The texture and taste are pretty good. I wouldn’t claim this burger is 100% comparable to a beef burger though.
- The Awesome Burger contains only plant-based ingredients and was developed in the kitchen, not a lab.
- It’s NON-GMO Certified.
Not only are plant-based burgers healthier than meat-based burgers, but they are also environmentally friendly.
According to the Los Angeles Times, “A 1/3-pound burger requires 660 gallons of water. Most of this water is for producing beef.”
This fact alone is shocking to me!
No Cow Had to Suffer For An Awesome Burger
- Did you know that 24 billion pounds of beef are sold each year in the U.S.?! It’s time to change that and transition a huge portion to plant-based proteins!
- It’s 2019 and there is no need to consume animal products. There are so many plant-based substitutes out there and nowadays it’s possible to “veganize” almost every dish.
- Just browse my site and see for yourself that vegan cuisine offers so many amazing dishes, which are flavorful, versatile, cruelty-free, and healthy!
The protein of the Awesome Burger comes mainly from textured pea protein but the burger patty also contains wheat gluten which, unfortunately, doesn’t make it gluten-free.
It contains 26 grams of plant-based protein per patty, which is amazing, in my opinion. Other nutrition facts:
One burger patty has 260 calories, 15 grams of fat, and 6 grams of fiber.
Vegan Burger With Healthier Ingredients
As mentioned before, this vegan sandwich recipe contains healthier ingredients than a traditional burger. I used the following ingredients:
- Whole-grain bun
- Awesome Burger patty
- Red cabbage
- Homemade vegan cheese sauce
- Homemade Thousand Island dressing
Get the full recipe below in the recipe card! 🙂
How To Assemble?
I love to serve this delicious vegan burger with fresh ingredients like onion, tomato, red cabbage, lettuce, vegan cheese, and a homemade vegan Thousand Island dressing. You can use the vegan sauce for any kind of sandwich, bread, or toast. It’s very easy to make in just a few minutes!
Check the following step-by-step photos and the exact recipe below in the recipe card.
Should you try out this vegan burger recipe, please leave a comment and rating below, and don’t forget to tag me in your Instagram or Facebook post with @elavegan and #elavegan because I love to see your remakes! 🙂
If you like healthy fast-food, definitely also visit the following vegan recipes:
- Buffalo Chickpea Taquitos
- The Best Vegan Grilled Cheese
- Crispy Polenta Fries
- Healthy Veggie Corn Fritters
- Vegan Black Bean Quesadillas
- I would definitely recommend giving the Awesome Burger a try!
- It’s juicy, tasty, healthier than a traditional burger, environmentally friendly, and cruelty-free!
- It doesn’t taste exactly like a beef burger which doesn’t make me sad though because I do NOT miss the taste of meat!
- The burger reminds me rather of turkey with a nutty note.
- When you transition from a meat-based diet to a vegan diet, this burger is very satisfying!
- I wish Sweet Earth could produce a gluten-free version without wheat but I know it’s very difficult to mimic the taste and texture of meat without gluten.
- All together I would give this plant-based burger a thumbs up!
Where To Buy?
Sweet Earth Foods’ Awesome Burger will hit stores very soon. Check out THIS LINK for more information!
Awesome Vegan Burger
For the burger
- Thaw the burger patties in the fridge before cooking.
- Pan method: Preheat a pan on medium-high heat and add 1 tsp of cooking oil. When hot, pan-fry for 4 minutes, flip and reduce to medium-low, pan-fry for 3 minutes. Flip and fry for one more minute or until lightly charred.
- Barbecue method: Brush both sides of a patty with oil, then grill on medium heat for 12 minutes, flipping occasionally, until lightly charred.
- In the meantime, slice/chop the onion, tomato, red cabbage, and prep the other ingredients.
- Make the Thousand Island dressing by mixing all ingredients in a small-medium bowl with a whisk. Use less water for a thicker sauce and more for a thinner dressing.
- You can warm the burger buns in the pan (or on the grill) for a few minutes if desired.
- Assemble in this order: Bottom burger bun, lettuce, tomato, red cabbage, burger patty, vegan cheese, homemade Thousand Island dressing, more lettuce, top burger bun.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Recipe serves 2. Nutrition facts are for one serving.
Nutrition information is an estimate and has been calculated automatically
If you are using Pinterest, feel free to pin the following photo: