Upside Down Plum Cake
This delicious upside down plum cake is very easy to make with simple ingredients which you probably already have at home. The recipe is vegan (dairy-free, egg-free), gluten-free, oil-free, and much healthier than other recipes.
- 1 1/2 cups (150 g) oat flour (gluten-free if needed)*
- 3/4 heaped cup (100 g) ground nuts of choice **
- 1/2 cup (100 g) granulated sweetener of choice ***
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice (optional)
- 1/2 tsp cardamom (optional)
- 1/3 tsp salt
I recommend using a kitchen scale for this recipe. Preheat oven to 360 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius). Line the bottom of an 8-inch springform or cake pan with parchment paper and lightly grease the sides of the springform.
Wash, deseed and slice the plums. Arrange them in an overlapping layer on the bottom of the springform/pan. Drizzle with maple syrup and sugar. Set aside.
For the cake, combine all dry ingredients in a big bowl. Stir with a whisk until there are no lumps.
Whisk together wet ingredients in a different bowl.
Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and stir with a whisk. Spoon the batter into the cake pan/springform and spread it out evenly.
Bake in the oven for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Allow the cake to cool for about 10 to 15 minutes before inverting the cake on a platter. Carefully peel off the parchment paper.
Cool for 10 more minutes, then slice and enjoy! The cake can be served with vegan whipped cream or ice cream!
- *To make your own oat flour, simply process oats in a blender or electric coffee/spice grinder. You can try using buckwheat flour for a grain-free version. Also, regular flour or spelt flour (for a non-gluten-free version) could work well in this recipe (I haven't tried it myself though).
- **Shredded unsweetened coconut can be used instead of ground nuts. Please don't use coconut flour. It won't work in this recipe! Please don't substitute any regular flour (except almond flour) for the ground nuts. Since the recipe is oil-free, there needs to be a source of fat.
- ***Granulated sweetener: You can use regular sugar, cane sugar, Erythritol, Xylitol (birch sugar), coconut sugar, etc.
- ****Any plant-based milk can be used in this recipe. I prefer to use canned coconut milk, however, almond milk, cashew milk, etc. should work fine as well. The higher the fat content of the milk, the better the cake will taste.
- *****Feel free to use your favorite fruit instead of plums. Some examples are apricots, oranges, mandarines, pineapple!
- You can also check out my Plum And Apple Crumble Recipe.
- Recipe serves 10. Nutrition facts are for one serving.
Upside Down Plum Cake
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 57
% Daily Value*
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.