This vegan kebab is made from marinated jackfruit served as a sandwich within pita, salad veggies, and a tangy vegan garlic yogurt sauce. The result is a comforting, satisfying meal worthy of a vegan feast. Plus, this recipe is dairy-free, gluten-free, and is the ultimate veg shawarma for meat-free eaters!
Servings 2 kebabs
- 2 large buns flatbread, or pita bread (gluten-free if needed)
- 1 1/2 tbsp oil
- 3.5 oz dried jackfruit or one 20 oz can young jackfruit, drained and rinsed (*see notes)
- 1 tomato sliced
- 1/2 cucumber sliced
- 1/4 onion sliced
- 1/4 cup red cabbage shredded
- 1/4 cup white cabbage shredded
- Red pepper flakes
Vegan Yogurt Sauce:
- 1/2 cup dairy-free yogurt or vegan sour cream
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- Lemon juice to taste
- Salt & pepper to taste
Add dried jackfruit (I used these jackfruit chips) to a bowl and pour in enough hot water. Let soak for 10-15 minutes, then drain. Skip this step if using canned young jackfruit.
Slice the jackfruit into strips. If using canned young jackfruit, shred the pieces by hand (or fork). You could also use a food processor and pulse just a few times.
Add all marinade ingredients to a bowl and stir with a whisk or spoon. Add the jackfruit and let it marinate for at least 15 minutes (the longer the better).
Meanwhile, make the vegan yogurt sauce by simply combining all yogurt ingredients in a bowl. Also, slice the tomato, cucumber, onion, and shred the cabbage.
Heat oil in a skillet and add the marinated jackfruit. Cook for about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, you can heat the bread in the oven or in a toaster.
Cut open the buns or flatbread and add the jackfruit plus the other veggies (sliced tomato, cucumber, cabbage, lettuce), and the vegan yogurt sauce. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes and enjoy!
- Jackfruit alternative: You can use soy curls (textured soy protein) instead of jackfruit. You will also have to soak them in hot water and after 15 minutes drain and squeeze out as much water as possible. Another alternative would be to use oyster mushrooms.
- Marinade: I recommend marinating the jackfruit for a few hours (or even overnight). 15 minutes is the minimum.
- Dairy-Free Yogurt: Any yogurt is fine, e.g. soy yogurt, coconut yogurt, etc. You can also use Vegan Sour Cream and simply add a little water to thin it.
- Bread: I used these homemade Gluten-Free Bread Rolls and simply shaped them into larger buns.
- Tomato Sauce: You can use BBQ sauce instead.
Amount Per Serving (1 sandwich)
Calories from Fat 144
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 2g10%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.