Vegan Shepherd's Pie
This Vegan Shepherd’s Pie is the perfect comfort food which is gluten-free and easy to make. Made with lentils, veggies, and mashed potatoes! A great meat-free dinner recipe which is flavorful and very tasty!
Prep Time 25 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
- 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced (*see recipe notes)
- Spice mix: 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp dried thyme (or 2 tsp fresh), 1/2 tsp dried rosemary (or tarragon), 1/2 tsp sugar (or maple syrup), salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup red wine OR more veggie stock
- 2 cups cooked lentils (cooked from dry or canned)
- 1/2 cup peas (frozen or canned)
- 1/2 cup corn fresh, frozen or canned
- 2 pounds of potatoes
- 1/4 cup plant-based milk
- 2 tbsp vegan butter OR vegetable oil (or use plant-based milk if oil-free)
- nutmeg, salt and black pepper (to taste)
Watch the video (scroll down a bit) to see all instruction steps.
Peel and chop potatoes, transfer them to a pot with salted water and bring to a boil. Cook on medium heat for about 15 minutes or until tender, drain.
Transfer back to the pot, add vegan butter, plant-based milk, nutmeg, black pepper and sea salt to taste and mash with a potato masher (don't use a food processor or blender).
In the meantime, heat oil in a skillet over medium heat, add onion, garlic, carrot, celery, and all spices. Fry for about 3 minutes.
Add tomato paste, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar and stir to combine.
Add cooked lentils, corn, and peas and pour in the red wine and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil and let simmer for about 5-7 minutes or until slightly reduced.
Preheat oven to 390 degrees F (200 degrees C).
Spoon the lentil mixture into a baking dish (I used a square 9" baker). Spoon the mashed potatoes over the lentil mixture.
Bake for about 15 minutes, then broil for a few minutes to get it golden brown on top.
Garnish with fresh herbs and enjoy!
Recipe serves 4. Nutrition facts are for one serving.
- You can leave out the celery if you don't like the taste and use any other vegetables instead (for example cauliflower, broccoli, etc).
Vegan Shepherd's Pie
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 72
% Daily Value*
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Calories: 458kcal | Carbohydrates: 66g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 8g | Fiber: 13.5g | Sugar: 8.5g