Vegan Chocolate Muffins
These are the best vegan chocolate muffins with simple ingredients, made in one bowl, in about 30 minutes! The recipe is plant-based, gluten-free, refined sugar-free, and super easy to make!
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) almond milk
- 2/3 cup (160 g) applesauce unsweetened (*see notes)
- 1/4 cup (65 g) nut butter (*see notes)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
I recommend measuring the ingredients in grams on a kitchen scale. Line a muffin pan with paper liners (or grease the pan) and preheat oven to 360 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius).
Add all dry ingredients (except the chocolate chips) to a large mixing bowl and stir with a whisk.
Now add the wet ingredients and stir to combine. You can also use a hand mixer.
Finally, stir in the vegan chocolate chips.
Divide the batter among the wells of the muffin pan. I had enough batter to make 8 muffins.
Bake for 24 to 27 minutes or until you spot cracks on top of the muffins. I also recommend making a toothpick test. Insert the toothpick into the center of a muffin. It should come out almost clean (it's ok if the toothpick is crumbly/slightly sticky but it shouldn't come out wet).
Let the muffins cool and enjoy! Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Oat flour: If you don't have oat flour, simply process oats (regular or certified gluten-free oats) in a blender or electric spice/coffee grinder until you have oat flour.
- Sweetener: Any granulated sweetener can be used. Some examples are coconut sugar, Xylitol*, Erythritol, regular sugar or date sugar. I used 1/3 cup, however, if you have a sweet tooth, I recommend using 1/2 cup. *Desserts with Xylitol should be never given to dogs.
- Applesauce - You can use mashed banana instead.
- Nut butter: You can use almond butter, cashew butter, peanut butter or sunflower seed butter for a nut-free version. If you don't have nut butter, you could use oil instead. Please note that I never made this recipe with oil, however, I would suggest about 1/8 to 1/4 of a cup (please report back if you give it a try).
- Recipe makes 7-8 muffins (depending on muffin size). Nutrition facts are for one muffin.
- Do you want to make cupcakes? Try out this sweet potato frosting!
Vegan Chocolate Muffins
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 99
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 3g15%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.