Classic and comforting, these pan-roasted potatoes are bursting with flavor. Soft on the inside, crispy on the outside, and a perfect side dish for a plethora of recipes, there’s little effort needed to whip this easy recipe up. Naturally gluten-free, vegan, and all-around a great choice.
- 4 medium (500 g) potatoes sliced (*see notes)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 1/2 to 3/4 tsp sea salt or to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Minced fresh rosemary leaves (optional)
Slice potatoes (you can peel them or leave the peel on) and dice the onion. Add the potato slices to a bowl with cold water and leave them there for about 10 minutes, then drain.
Heat oil over medium heat. Place the potato slices in the pan. Fry at medium heat (without stirring!) for about 8-10 minutes, depending on the size of the slices.
After 8-10 minutes, gently flip the potato slices. As soon as the potatoes are nicely browned, turn the heat to low and cover the pan with a lid.
Steam the potatoes for about 15-18 minutes covered. Remove the lid and add the diced onion, salt, black pepper to taste, and rosemary (if using). Fry for a further few minutes, stirring occasionally or until the potatoes are fork-tender.
Garnish with fresh herbs and enjoy! Serve with my Easy Lentil Stew!
- You can use an iron cast pan or a non-stick frying pan.
- I recommend waxy potatoes or all-purpose potatoes for this recipe. Do not use starchy potatoes, as they might fall apart in the pan.
- You can easily make these pan-fried potatoes in an air fryer! Simply add potato slices to a bowl and toss with oil, sprinkle with salt, and pepper. Add to air fryer and cook for 20-25 minutes or until nicely browned at 400 degrees Fahrenheit (ca. 204 °C)! Shake basket halfway through.
- Read my blog post for more helpful information!
- Recipe serves 2. Nutrition facts are for one serving.
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 126
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 1g5%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.