These hearty, healthy red lentil patties contain simple pantry ingredients and are naturally gluten-free, vegan (dairy-free, egg-free), and ready in about 35 minutes!
Servings 10 patties
Cook the lentils
Rinse the red lentils in a sieve under running water to remove any debris. Transfer them to a pot or pan along with 1 cup of vegetable broth. If using water add a little salt. Bring to a boil and let the lentils simmer with a lid for about 15 minutes or until they are soft and partially falling apart. There should be no broth or water being left after cooking!If too much water evaporates during cooking, you can add a little bit more.
Cook the veggies
Meanwhile, heat a little oil in a skillet and add the onion, pepper, and garlic. Fry over medium heat for a few minutes, until the onion is translucent (not browned).
Shape and cook the patties
Once the lentils are cooked, add them to a food processor together with the cooked veggies, spices, parsley, ground chia seeds, and flour. Pulse a couple of times until the mixture is combined. You want to leave some texture, so do not over-process it.
Form 10 patties (each weighing between 40-50 grams - about 2 1/2 - 3 tablespoons), and fry them with a little oil (I used 2 teaspoons for 4 patties) in a skillet from both sides (about 3 minutes each side) until golden brown and crispy.
Serve with a dip of choice, and enjoy! I made a dip from 2 tablespoons of creamy peanut butter mixed with 30 ml dill pickle juice, 10 ml olive brine, a little garlic, and smoked paprika to taste.
Video Of The Recipe
- Flour: I haven't tried the recipe with any other flour, however, it should work with most flours (e.g. regular flour, oat flour, quinoa flour, etc.).
- Lentils: If using green or brown lentils, they need to cook at least 10 minutes longer, so you will need to add more water/broth.
- Veggies: You can use other veggies instead of red pepper, for example, zucchini, carrot, etc.
- Cooking method: I haven't tried cooking the patties in the air-fryer yet, but I would brush them with a little oil, and cook them at 360 ºF (180 ºC) for about 12 minutes, flipping after 8 minutes. If you want to try making them in the oven, then I would suggest the same temperature, but a baking time of about 30 minutes.
Amount per Serving
% Daily Value*
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.