This delicious vegan mayo contains just 6 ingredients (not including salt and water) and takes only minutes to make. It is rich, creamy, tangy, and yet dairy-free, egg-free, and can even be made oil-free!
- 3/4 cup (110 g) cashews soaked
- 3.5 oz (100 g) silken tofu or vegan cream cheese (*see notes)
- 1 tbsp oil optional (*see notes)
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2-3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar of choice
- 1 pinch of Kala Namak optional (*see notes)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) water (*see notes)
Start by soaking cashews in very hot water for at least 30 minutes until softened. You can also soak them overnight.
Drain and rinse soaked cashews, transfer them to a blender, and add all other ingredients. Blend until completely smooth and lump-free, scraping down the sides of the blender a couple of times, if needed. Try it and add more salt/vinegar/mustard to taste.
Transfer to a sealed container and either serve immediately or chill in the fridge for a few hours. Store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Tofu: I used firm silken tofu, however, if you have a soy allergy, you can use soy-free, vegan cream cheese, e.g.: Miyoko's Vegan Cream Cheese or Daiya Cream Cheeze.
- You could also leave out the silken tofu (or cream cheese) and increase the amount of cashews to 1 cup (150 g). Then you will need to use more water (up to 1/2 cup).
- Oil: It will make the mayo a little more "silky" but leave it out for an oil-free vegan mayo.
- Kala Namak: Also known as black salt. It will add an "eggy taste" to the mayo, however, you can leave it out.
- Water: If using a high-speed blender like a Vitamix you can most likely use a little less water. And if using a food processor you might need to use a little more water.
- Sugar: Use Erythritol for a sugar-free version or omit the sugar entirely if preferred.
- For a nut-free version, you could try to use soaked sunflower seeds. This isn’t something I’ve tried, but I’ve swapped cashew and sunflower seeds previously with great results.
- The total time doesn't include the soaking time.
Amount Per Serving (1.5 tbsp)
Calories from Fat 45
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 1g5%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.