This hearty potato curry contains green beans and flavorful spices. It's a simple recipe that is vegan (dairy-free), gluten-free, and easy to make in one pot. Aloo curry is a delicious weeknight dinner or side dish that can be served with roti or naan.
Chop the potatoes and green beans into bite-sized pieces, dice the onion, and mince the garlic & ginger. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Then add fresh ginger, garlic, all spices, potatoes, and green beans. Sauté for a further one minute, stirring frequently.
Add vegetable broth and bring the soup to a boil.
Let simmer over low heat with a lid for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes and green beans are fork-tender.
Combine coconut milk and cornstarch in a small bowl and stir with a whisk until there are no lumps. Add the mixture to the curry. Let simmer for a few more minutes without a lid to thicken the curry.
Taste and adjust seasonings. Add more salt/pepper/spices if needed. Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Enjoy with bread or naan bread! Please check the recipe notes below.
- Curry powder: Use garam masala if you don't have curry powder.
- Canned coconut milk: You can use coconut cream or dairy-free cream instead (such as oat cream, soy cream, etc.).
- Cornstarch: You can use arrowroot flour or potato starch to thicken the curry. Regular flour should work fine too. Another option would be to leave it out completely and blend a part of the potato curry, to thicken it.
- More tips: Read the blog post for helpful tips and variations and to check out the step-by-step photos and video.
- Recipe serves 4. Nutrition facts are for one serving.
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 90
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 6.2g31%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.