Easy Apple Strudel
An easy homemade apple strudel (German Apfelstrudel) that is simply perfect for fall and winter but can be enjoyed at any time of the year. It's flavorful, flaky, buttery, juicy, crispy, and very delicious! This holiday recipe is vegan, can be made refined sugar-free, and contains only 10 ingredients in total!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
- 1 sheet of vegan frozen puff pastry thawed (gluten-free if needed)
- 500 g (four) diced apples peeled and cored
- A squeeze lemon juice
- 50 g (scant 1/2 cup) walnuts chopped
- 50 g (1/3 cup) raisins (*see notes)
- 50 g (1/4 cup) sugar + more for sprinkling on top (*see recipe notes)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla bean paste or 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- One heaped tbsp cinnamon
- Pinch of ground ginger
- Pinch of cardamom
Place the puff pastry on a baking sheet. My puff pastry was actually wrapped in parchment paper, therefore, I didn't need to line the baking sheet with extra parchment paper. However, if yours isn't, then line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
Add all filling ingredients to a bowl and stir with a spoon.
Pile the filling on the puff pastry, forming a long rectangle (see pictures above in the blog post).
Fold the top and bottom ends of the puff pastry over the filling.
Now carefully wrap the sides of the puff pastry over the filling, pinching at the seams to form a seal. It's totally ok if there are some small cracks, just leave it like that, it will form an interesting pattern when baked.
You can brush the puff pastry with some melted vegan butter (optional, I didn't do it) and sprinkle more sugar on top.
Bake for about 35 minutes or until slightly golden brown.
Let cool to room temperature and dust with icing sugar (you can use powdered Erythritol for a refined sugar-free version).
Slice and serve with vegan ice cream or whipped coconut cream. Enjoy!
- You can use powdered Erythritol (or Xylitol) for a refined sugar-free version.
- You could use chopped dates or dried fruit of choice (e.g. figs, apricots, etc.) instead of raisins.
- Any chopped nuts or seeds can be used in this recipe.
- Nutrition facts are for 1 of 6 servings (1/6 of the recipe).
Easy Apple Strudel
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 72
% Daily Value*
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Calories: 193kcal | Carbohydrates: 28.1g | Protein: 2.3g | Fat: 8g | Fiber: 2.7g | Sugar: 22g