Are you looking for a quick hearty dish which is easy to make? Then check out this flavorful and delicious vegan Shakshuka. It's ready in 30 minutes and great as a main dish (lunch, dinner, breakfast) or as a side dish. Enjoy Shakshouka on its own or with bread (e.g. flatbread), rice or pasta.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 1/2 tbsp oil or vegetable broth
- 1 onion diced
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 3.5 oz greens of choice e.g. kale, spinach (100 g)
- 14 oz diced tomatoes (400 g)
- 11 oz marinara sauce (300 g)
- 1 red bell pepper (120 g)
- 3 heaped tbsp tomato paste (100 g)
- 1/4 cup plant-based cream (60 g)
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin or more to taste
- 3/4 tsp smoked paprika or more to taste
- 2 tsp maple syrup or sweetener of choice
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes or less if you don't like it spicy
- 15 oz can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of black salt (Kala Namak) (optional, see notes)
- vegan cheese of choice (optional)
Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat and add diced onion. Sautè for about 4 minutes. Then add garlic and sautè for a further minute.
Add the greens, cover and cook for about 1 minute until wilted down.
Next add the diced tomatoes, pepper, marinara sauce, and tomato paste.
Stir to combine, then add all spices, sweetener, and let simmer for about 10 minutes until slightly thickened.
Add the plant-based cream, the chickpeas and turn off the heat after about 1-2 minutes.
Taste and adjust seasonings. Add more salt/pepper/spices to taste.
Finally, add dollops of vegan cheese (e.g. vegan cream cheese or vegan ricotta, feta, etc.) on top.
Garnish with fresh herbs and red pepper flakes. Enjoy with bread/flatbread, rice or pasta!
- Black salt (also known as "Kala Namak" is high in sulfur and has an eggy flavor. If you want your vegan Shakshuka to taste like eggs, definitely add a pinch of it. You can buy it at most Indian grocery stores, or online.
- Recipe serves 4. Nutrition facts are for one serving.
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 68
% Daily Value*
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Calories: 251kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 9.4g | Fat: 7.5g | Fiber: 9.7g | Sugar: 18g